Thread: Where is Motaro?

Special Forces Agent Tanyas Husband's Avatar
    PSN
    MattyEC
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Where is Motaro?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Quan Chi then tells Raiden that it is utterly pointless, as the EarthRealm souls are already his as payment for his allegiance with Shao Kahn.
    This never made sense to me.
    How does Shao Kahn make a deal with souls that aren't his in the first place? Completely different realm, different people, I don't understand.

PSN
    Araknyd03
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyas Husband View Post
    This never made sense to me.
    How does Shao Kahn make a deal with souls that aren't his in the first place? Completely different realm, different people, I don't understand.
    I don't understand, either, but that's the way that John Vogel and the story writing team wrote it up for MK9.

PSN
    MattyEC
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I don't understand, either, but that's the way that John Vogel and the story writing team wrote it up for MK9.
    It makes no sense to me. I can't leave it alone until I have an answer. I'd understand if maybe Shinnok gave the souls to him, but not Shao Kahn. Both Quan Chi and Shao Kahn should have not one tiny bit of authority over any souls without Raiden's permission.

PSN
    Araknyd03
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)

Welp, unfortunately I can't give you a concrete answer on that, as I was not part of the MK9 story writing team with Vogel and the others at NRS.
    I'm just repeating what Quan Chi had specifically told Raiden in MK9, and what the conversation was between the 2 of them.

PSN
    MattyEC
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Welp, unfortunately I can't give you a concrete answer on that, as I was not part of the MK9 story writing team with Vogel and the others at NRS.
    I'm just repeating what Quan Chi had specifically told Raiden in MK9, and what the conversation was between the 2 of them.
    I know. I was basically trying to ask you;
    What's your take on it?

PSN
    Araknyd03
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)

My take on it is that (I don't know how), but, Shao Kahn may have actually had ownership of their souls, prior to the MK1 tournament beginning, as part of an agreement with the Elder Gods for going into the tournament.

Now, this is 100% @Commander speculation, as I'm not clear if that's what actually happened, just my take on possible (IMO) happenings in the background..

PSN
    Noob-Zer013
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

What I thought was that instead of Shao Kahn claiming the souls himself, like in the original timeline, he had sent them to the netherrealm to be claimed by Quan Chi. But these things are never made 100% clear so this is just speculation.

I wish Vogel was more responsive. Tyler Lansdow always answered my tweets but I have way more story questions than I do anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always assumed that if a warrior perished in Mortal Kombat, it could be up for grabs--in theory, to the victor.

Perhaps this is why Shao Kahn has control of vanquished souls and can allow the passing of them to Quan Chi. Taking souls of the vanquished has always been he and Shang Tsung's "thing" for as far back as I can remember. Shao Kahn taught Shang Tsung, so perhaps as long as you have to power to actually take a soul, it's yours to do with as you please.

On a side note--I hope Mileena returns as a revenant next game. It'd be nice to see her and Kitana on the same side. ;P

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

It was too hard for Quan Chi to reanimate his four legs and tail, he's used to bipedal people.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyas Husband View Post
    It makes no sense to me. I can't leave it alone until I have an answer. I'd understand if maybe Shinnok gave the souls to him, but not Shao Kahn. Both Quan Chi and Shao Kahn should have not one tiny bit of authority over any souls without Raiden's permission.

I don't think it's a matter of authority, but rather their power. People forget because of his brutish image, but Shao Kahn is a powerful sorcerer and expert manipulator of souls. He can capture souls, he was the one who gave power to Shang Tsung (who also steals souls) and later casually drained Shang Tsung of his souls, passing them on to Sindel during MK9. He also created Ermac out of the souls of defeated enemies, and Skarlet from their blood.
    He took the souls of those Earthrealm warriors like he did from many others defeated by him or his subordinates.

As for Quan Chi, I never got the impression he had the ability to simply enslave and reanimate all dead people. He was directly involved in the events leading to Scorpion's death, he reanimated him because he was there and plotting to do it. He went to dig out Sindel's corpse when he reanimated her in MK9. And he says he received the souls of the Earthrealm warriors Sindel killed from Shao Kahn, that's why he has Stryker, Sub-Zero, etc. but not Motaro or Shang Tsung. He was also spying on the fight where Liu Kang died.

I'm pretty sure Quan Chi can only revive people he has some kind of access to, like the soul or the body. He can't revive anyone he wants that has ever died in the past.
    So if he's there when you die, he can reanimate you, but if you're a cowboy who died in 1887 and he doesn't have your soul there's nothing he can do.

Ruler of NetherRealm Ricochetmatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

NRS doesn't like him. Therefore he will never be seen again. Not as a functional combatant or an NPC in story mode. Which is stupid. Quan Chi would be a fool to not want Motaro as one of his henchmen. But NRS is like "Too much work, he's dead."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricochetmatt For This Useful Post:

Hollywood Superstar reikoiskahn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I'm starting to think Ed Boon and Netherrealm Studios simply don't know what to do with certain characters in terms of a storyline. I bet that's the reason why we've never been given an explanation of Kintaro's unique heritage. Same goes for Motaro. I don't buy for a second that, with all of the technological advancements of the current day, they can't get his body to work within the game. That's a load of garbage. Hell, even Tekken 6 had that goofy ass giant chicken thing as the final boss years ago. They aren't lazy; they just don't know what the hell to do with the characters. Shame, too, because I really wanted to see the Shokan warriors and Centaurs go at it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reikoiskahn For This Useful Post:

Xbox Live
    Down4ality
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reikoiskahn View Post
    I'm starting to think Ed Boon and Netherrealm Studios simply don't know what to do with certain characters in terms of a storyline. I bet that's the reason why we've never been given an explanation of Kintaro's unique heritage. Same goes for Motaro. I don't buy for a second that, with all of the technological advancements of the current day, they can't get his body to work within the game. That's a load of garbage. Hell, even Tekken 6 had that goofy ass giant chicken thing as the final boss years ago. They aren't lazy; they just don't know what the hell to do with the characters. Shame, too, because I really wanted to see the Shokan warriors and Centaurs go at it.
    Well, it's a miracle we even got Goro as a fully functional playable character even though hes garbage. Still fun to play, but didnt live up to his potential. I highly highly doubt we will ever see Motaro again.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

New Kombatant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

> where is motaro?
    dead, and his revenant was killed off panel by Mokap.
    MK Trilogy Xtended>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MK X>MK9>>MK2>MK3>MK1.

Ruler of NetherRealm Ricochetmatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brutalscorpion View Post
    > where is motaro?
    dead, and his revenant was killed off panel by Mokap.
    *raped and killed off panel by Mokap. Later seen being served as McDonalds hamburger meat. Cause f*** the characters NRS hates/can't be bothered with.
    Last edited by Ricochetmatt; 08-24-2015 at 01:23 PM.

PSN
    Romo2Witten1983
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochetmatt View Post
    *raped and killed off panel by Mokap. Later seen being served as McDonalds hamburger meat. Cause the characters NRS hates/can't be bothered with.
    They don't make burgers out of horses, they make glue out of them. And McDonald's actually makes their burgers from bulls killed by Matadors in Pamplona, Spain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

PSN
    Araknyd03
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reikoiskahn View Post
    Same goes for Motaro. I don't buy for a second that, with all of the technological advancements of the current day, they can't get his body to work within the game. That's a load of garbage. Hell, even Tekken 6 had that goofy ass giant chicken thing as the final boss years ago. They aren't lazy; they just don't know what the hell to do with the characters. Shame, too, because I really wanted to see the Shokan warriors and Centaurs go at it.
    It may not really a load of garbage, though.
    While the graphics are different these days, it doesn't mean that it's easier to develop those characters.
    Remember, developing for MK9 is much more complicated that it ever was for the MK1, MKII and MK3 flash animation.
    In MK9 every character has internal organs, skeletons and bodies that have to be molded for X-Ray moves.
    Not only that, but I'm pretty sure that the animation of the characters fighting taxes the console memory quite heavily, which is likely why it's only possible to morph into your opponent and not the whole MK9 roster as Shang Tsung, in the last game.
    The amount of character pre-loading to do all of Shag Tsung's possible morphs before 1 fight would be insane, as it would have to pre-load 31 character possibilities.
    OT
    As for Motaro, perhaps NRS did have too hard of a time getting the skeleton, hind leg animation and internal organs to work properly with the rest of the roster, and thus he was scrapped later on.
    We may never know, but it IS possible that Motaro was giving them too much trouble as a properly functioning character.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where can I read up on this?

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jion_Wansu View Post
    Remember, back in the day when MK3 came out, EGM had a 6 armed Shokan warrior as a boss character?
    Is there a picture of this to be found anywhere online?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It is sad that Netherrealm studios can't make Motaro work as a playable character but they can make Alien work as being a playable character it just doesn't make sense to me. They could just make him shorter and not as wide and then you can have him playable.
    I will rock you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information