Someone explain the hidden cursor

Aj Laird

For years, I have hated the way they handle the Hidden Cursor in character select. I RARELY use it. The only time I do is if I am playing against someone who just sit's at the character screen waiting to see who I choose so they can select someone they know would be good at countering my selection. If they can't see who I select, they are going to have a hard time choosing someone to counter me.

My issue is that I can't see the cursor. What kind of gameplay decision was this? It should only be hidden to the OTHER PLAYER. Not the one using it. I have had to resort to counter squares just to know who I need to select and it's a pain in the ass and time consuming. In MKX it's even worse due to the fact that the abilities are ALSO hidden.

The Hidden cursor should be hidden only to the other player. The player using the cursor should be the only one to see it. It should just change to a different color to indicate that it's hidden for you. To them, it's gone completely. I mean what's the point in having it if it's hidden to you too?

The design choice was mostly for two player local matches, like tournaments and whatnot. I assume that instead of coding in a way to make it invisible to opponents online and visible for you, they just left it so it's invisible to everyone to save time. I guess you just need to remember where your cursor is after each directional input.

It is difficult. Especially if your controller is ganky in the first place. And that doesn't explain why the damn characters abilities are blocked too. I mean really.

That's why they need to make it so only YOU can see it. This isn't the arcades. Leave the hidden cursor invisible for people playing on the same machine but online they need to have it so only you can see what you're selecting. This waiting for someone to select somebody so they can one up you by selecting a character suitable for a certain situation is horse shit.

Along with the match making. That's also horse shit but that's another thread for a different day.

I usually find the character I want to play as hit "Hidden Cursor" then select an alt and go up and down (cause it makes the same sound as moving the cursor) then choose the character.

Last edited:
they should put the time limit to pick your character back in so they wont just sit there forever waiting for you to pick.

If a game genuinely needs "blind selection" then it's all but admitting to being match-up centric and unbalanced.

If a game genuinely needs "blind selection" then it's all but admitting to being match-up centric and unbalanced.

Haha dude I love your posts, I've never seen you happy about anything!

Thanks for the chuckles anyway Victor Meldrew, appriciated

Just remember when your curser is at.....I use hidden select all the time. It's on you to remember where its at if you want to hide it, nrs can't do everything for ya. ;)