why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

NinjaNinja

MKX introduced some great new gameplay features and improvements in many areas theres no denying its a fantastically made fighting game and the game does handle beautifully....

1.the smooth animations, the movements of the characters are great.
2.environment traversing, being able to bounce off the environment adds more fun and depth to the game play
3.running, putting the run back in keeps the game flowing without constant dashing

so all that being said why do i find myself preferring MK9s gameplay?

i think the problem/difference for me is that MKX is slightly too fast it feels unnatural like its always on a turbo mode.
a lot of the moves and combos go by so fast its just a blur so its hard to enjoy/appreciate.

its the same feeling i get when watching a movie fight scene that has shaky cam
you cant really make out whats going on therefore cant get invested in the action.

then add to that the really distracting backgrounds right up close to the characters and and the game just becomes messy to look at

ive been playing a few days now and my main concern is that the game for me is starting to tread in the same waters as injustice did...
where i played it for a few days and each day lost a little more interest because the gameplay and visuals just weren't very satisfying
yet with MK9 i genuinely enjoyed it and woke up each day exited to play it because i loved the gameplay and how it felt.

its a shame for me because like i stated the improvements are great but theres just something about the way the game handles and looks that leaves me feeling 'meh' even though i can still do the impressive lengthy combos like in MK9 the satisfaction level is nowhere near the same because most the combos are just a lot of flashing its hard to tell what the characters are even doing

i would of preferred they stuck with the fighting engine they made for MK9 and just updated the graphics and added the run and have a few things from MKX like the environment traversing and the smaller reaction time window after blocking a special.

and as for the stages i think they need a complete re-think on those because its just way to messy. the fighting in MK9 looked much better because it always felt like the characters were the main focus where as MKX stages feel like theyre trying to steal the spotlight.
and the stages in MK9 were better designed to be more like actual stages/platforms so everything worked visually

so im hoping the next game the developers can take the best of both games and deliver an MK that looks and plays to its full potentail

Engine is still the same that they used for MK9..

Even though I respect your opinion and it might that it won't change on your side - The game is still new. It might be that it just good old culture shock.

I mean, MKX still feels a little odd compared to MK9, but I already see the upcoming potential (especially when the balance changes etc. are made) over MK9:

1. Tournament scene. I hate to use these words but let's face it, MK9 never was major success in tournament scene. Balance was poor and so far I think MKX handles it better. And especially, in overall I'd see MKX having lot of potential over MK9 in terms of high level tournament play.

2. I don't agree with stages. Fighters are still the main focus and I think stages so far are beautiful. My only minor gripe is that they could use a little more colour.

3. MKX's combos are in my opinion more satisfying because they are a bit harder to do than in MK9. Also, the sound effect when character gets pummeled is more satisfying than in MK9.

The speed of gameplay is always mixed opinion. While I currently like the flow of MKX's gameplay over MK9 (just like some higher level players), games like SFIV are always on higher place than for instance 3rd strike or Super Turbo, because IV's gameplay is just more varied, from slower pace to fast pace. Especially slower pace battles are like made for me.

The only thing I don't like about MKX is this block button crap. I can't stand it!

This game is fun but I'm fiending for Injustice 2.

Gotta agree with you about the turbo mode haha. But still an amazing game, i can't choose between MK9 and this, they're both amazing and unique. But talking about gameplay, i liked MK9 more.

MKX introduced some great new gameplay features and improvements in many areas theres no denying its a fantastically made fighting game and the game does handle beautifully....

1.the smooth animations, the movements of the characters are great.
2.environment traversing, being able to bounce off the environment adds more fun and depth to the game play
3.running, putting the run back in keeps the game flowing without constant dashing

so all that being said why do i find myself preferring MK9s gameplay?

i think the problem/difference for me is that MKX is slightly too fast it feels unnatural like its always on a turbo mode.
a lot of the moves and combos go by so fast its just a blur so its hard to enjoy/appreciate.

you cant really make out whats going on therefore cant get invested in the action.

then add to that the really distracting backgrounds right up close to the characters and and the game just becomes messy to look at

ive been playing a few days now and my main concern is that the game for me is starting to tread in the same waters as injustice did...
where i played it for a few days and each day lost a little more interest because the gameplay and visuals just weren't very satisfying
yet with MK9 i genuinely enjoyed it and woke up each day exited to play it because i loved the gameplay and how it felt.

its a shame for me because like i stated the improvements are great but theres just something about the way the game handles and looks that leaves me feeling 'meh' even though i can still do the impressive lengthy combos like in MK9 the satisfaction level is nowhere near the same because most the combos are just a lot of flashing its hard to tell what the characters are even doing

i would of preferred they stuck with the fighting engine they made for MK9 and just updated the graphics and added the run and have a few things from MKX like the environment traversing and the smaller reaction time window after blocking a special.

and as for the stages i think they need a complete re-think on those because its just way to messy. the fighting in MK9 looked much better because it always felt like the characters were the main focus where as MKX stages feel like theyre trying to steal the spotlight.
and the stages in MK9 were better designed to be more like actual stages/platforms so everything worked visually

so im hoping the next game the developers can take the best of both games and deliver an MK that looks and plays to its full potentail

I have to agree with you!!!

I actually prefer MKX. It's smoother, the combos are cooler, and though it feels a bit harder to do long combos in this game, once you get the hang of it, it feels great when you pull them off! Combos in MK9 kinda feel cheap compared to this game, imo.

I was never a fan of tag team fighting, so I don't mind it not being in MKX. I do miss Jade though.

I miss the dash blocking.

Running is more fun to me.

I miss Tag mode. but honestly no one really utilized the Tag combos and such. I was in the top 10 for Tag in MK9 and it's pretty much all I played most of the time. I ran across MAYBE 5 people that would actually try to use tag combos. Most people treated it as two 1v1 matches.

Hold back to block? Lmfaoo who the hell would want that in an Mortal Kombat game? And holding down to block lows? NOPE. Keep that garbage in injustice.

I agre re game is very fast, but I can still tell what's going on. The other thing I hate about it gameplay wise is the tech roll... It's complete garage. So hard to get off the ground... In MK9 you'd easily be able to get off the ground or do a wake up the second you do the inputs... But in MKX NOPE, and that's just annoying as hell because once you hit the ground it's pretty much over. Wake up attacks feel useless in this game.

I think because of the smoothness that they were going for, mkx would've looked slower than mk9 if it had the same speed. So it was a neccecary change.

Hold back to block? Lmfaoo who the hell would want that in an Mortal Kombat game? And holding down to block lows? NOPE. Keep that garbage in injustice.

I agre re game is very fast, but I can still tell what's going on. The other thing I hate about it gameplay wise is the tech roll... It's complete garage. So hard to get off the ground... In MK9 you'd easily be able to get off the ground or do a wake up the second you do the inputs... But in MKX NOPE, and that's just annoying as hell because once you hit the ground it's pretty much over. Wake up attacks feel useless in this game.

Back to block isn't garbage in general, but it is for MK. Scorpion broke the game when he was implemented in Injustice. It just doesn't work with MK characters.

but the wake up game in MKX isn't bad. You can get out of things. Every character has at least one way to wake up with one bar. You can also get up and block. You don't get out of jail free like you would in MK9.

I'm not a fan of the run feature; dash canceling was better. The neutral jump attacks in this game also feel wack.

Otherwise, the gameplay is an improvement.

for me is that MKX is slightly too fast it feels unnatural like its always on a turbo mode.

PC version > Coalesced.ini modding tool > "GameSpeed" > 1.00000 to 0.90000 > GAME ON!

UDgUbta.gif

I really enjoyed my first days with mkx, especially the online modes. I loved the close calls and the intensity of the battles and I believed that they had fixed what had been my biggest problem with mk9: the long combos. But then, I encountered players who destroyed me with super long combos. I do not like that it is possible to pull off single combos that deal over 30% damage (excluding x-rays; those are fine). I believe that it makes the fights too short. And also, I do not like having to learn all the long combos from outside sources or experimenting. This also keeps me from playing with more different fighters because having to learn too many combos really gets me confused. I believe that the shorter combos that you find in the menus are enough.

What do you think about the longer combos? Do you like finding out about them? Do you like experimenting? AND (most importantly for me): do you think that they make the fights better or worse?

I loved the close calls and the intensity of the battles
The game is literally designed to promote close matches, irrespective of skill disparity.

Think about it:
- meter gain for being pummelled (to allow for comebacks)
- meter gain for your attacks blocked (to promote spamming)
- easy, timing devoid combo breakers to tie in with the above meter system
- strictly damage scaled combo to ensure all combos are more less made equal, irrespective of difficulty curve
- ridiculous uppercut damage and priority relative to the other moves in the game (j.punch > uppercut = 18% in MKX; ground hammer > shoulder upper > front kick = 17% in MK9... WITH SHAO KAHN!!)
- X-rays that are only worth landing YOLO and just a waste of meter in combo (promotes lucky comebacks)
- weak defensive system that promotes Tekken-like 'first hit wins' rush-downs, with little recourse for those being assailed...

Mind you, MK is not the only game guilty of plateauing skill between players with 'catch up' mechanics -- many games do it nowadays and are even far less subtle about hiding it (e.g., X-Factor in UMVC; Ultras in SFIV; Power Blows in DoA5 etc). But don't be so easily fooled that modern fighters are all about pure skill, as most have hard-coded mechanics explicitly designed to make scrubs and casuals feel like they can hang with the 'grown-ups'.

I really enjoyed my first days with mkx, especially the online modes. I loved the close calls and the intensity of the battles and I believed that they had fixed what had been my biggest problem with mk9: the long combos. But then, I encountered players who destroyed me with super long combos. I do not like that it is possible to pull off single combos that deal over 30% damage (excluding x-rays; those are fine). I believe that it makes the fights too short. And also, I do not like having to learn all the long combos from outside sources or experimenting. This also keeps me from playing with more different fighters because having to learn too many combos really gets me confused. I believe that the shorter combos that you find in the menus are enough.

What do you think about the longer combos? Do you like finding out about them? Do you like experimenting? AND (most importantly for me): do you think that they make the fights better or worse?

i love experimenting. i figured out a 40% damage combo with raiden, and then i figured out how to fit in another 2 hits to the combo yet the combo still registers at 40%
so maybe theres some kinda filter that dosent allow over 40%?

i dont mind long combos providing they require a lot of meter like with raidens i needed to use all 3
but if some character could deliver a 40 percent combo with just one meter on no meter then id have a problem with it.
so to answer you i find it makes the fights better and more intense

I know I'm literally just pulling out one sentence,
But I noticed you said MKX is less smooth. You really feel that way?
To me it felt like such a nice smooth ride on MKX and more of a rough bumpy ride with MK9.