Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

  1. #1
    Kombatant NinjaNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    121
    Thanked: 19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    MKX introduced some great new gameplay features and improvements in many areas theres no denying its a fantastically made fighting game and the game does handle beautifully....

    1.the smooth animations, the movements of the characters are great.
    2.environment traversing, being able to bounce off the environment adds more fun and depth to the game play
    3.running, putting the run back in keeps the game flowing without constant dashing

    so all that being said why do i find myself preferring MK9s gameplay?

    i think the problem/difference for me is that MKX is slightly too fast it feels unnatural like its always on a turbo mode.
    a lot of the moves and combos go by so fast its just a blur so its hard to enjoy/appreciate.

    its the same feeling i get when watching a movie fight scene that has shaky cam
    you cant really make out whats going on therefore cant get invested in the action.

    then add to that the really distracting backgrounds right up close to the characters and and the game just becomes messy to look at

    ive been playing a few days now and my main concern is that the game for me is starting to tread in the same waters as injustice did...
    where i played it for a few days and each day lost a little more interest because the gameplay and visuals just weren't very satisfying
    yet with MK9 i genuinely enjoyed it and woke up each day exited to play it because i loved the gameplay and how it felt.

    its a shame for me because like i stated the improvements are great but theres just something about the way the game handles and looks that leaves me feeling 'meh' even though i can still do the impressive lengthy combos like in MK9 the satisfaction level is nowhere near the same because most the combos are just a lot of flashing its hard to tell what the characters are even doing

    i would of preferred they stuck with the fighting engine they made for MK9 and just updated the graphics and added the run and have a few things from MKX like the environment traversing and the smaller reaction time window after blocking a special.

    and as for the stages i think they need a complete re-think on those because its just way to messy. the fighting in MK9 looked much better because it always felt like the characters were the main focus where as MKX stages feel like theyre trying to steal the spotlight.
    and the stages in MK9 were better designed to be more like actual stages/platforms so everything worked visually

    so im hoping the next game the developers can take the best of both games and deliver an MK that looks and plays to its full potentail

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NinjaNinja For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Kombatant FobinenHege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    26
    Posts
    227
    Thanked: 25
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Engine is still the same that they used for MK9..

    Even though I respect your opinion and it might that it won't change on your side - The game is still new. It might be that it just good old culture shock.

    I mean, MKX still feels a little odd compared to MK9, but I already see the upcoming potential (especially when the balance changes etc. are made) over MK9:

    1. Tournament scene. I hate to use these words but let's face it, MK9 never was major success in tournament scene. Balance was poor and so far I think MKX handles it better. And especially, in overall I'd see MKX having lot of potential over MK9 in terms of high level tournament play.

    2. I don't agree with stages. Fighters are still the main focus and I think stages so far are beautiful. My only minor gripe is that they could use a little more colour.

    3. MKX's combos are in my opinion more satisfying because they are a bit harder to do than in MK9. Also, the sound effect when character gets pummeled is more satisfying than in MK9.

    The speed of gameplay is always mixed opinion. While I currently like the flow of MKX's gameplay over MK9 (just like some higher level players), games like SFIV are always on higher place than for instance 3rd strike or Super Turbo, because IV's gameplay is just more varied, from slower pace to fast pace. Especially slower pace battles are like made for me.

  4. #3
    Shaolin Monk Last_Starfighta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Somewhere saving teh galaxy!
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,729
    PSN
    Last_Starfighta
    Thanked: 285
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    The only thing I don't like about MKX is this block button crap. I can't stand it!

    This game is fun but I'm fiending for Injustice 2.
    No Guts No Glory

  5. #4
    Emperor of Outworld Immortal Reaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,654
    Xbox Live
    SSyrax
    Thanked: 664
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    MKX is faster than MK9 but the combos aren't as fast as you say.

  6. #5
    TRMK Princess Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Realm of Edenia
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanked: 335
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I personally just miss tag team mode and Jade.


    "One Kiss and You're Dead"

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Goddess For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Hollywood Superstar NathanCorsini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Age
    28
    Posts
    987
    PSN
    NathanCorsini
    Thanked: 225
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Gotta agree with you about the turbo mode haha. But still an amazing game, i can't choose between MK9 and this, they're both amazing and unique. But talking about gameplay, i liked MK9 more.

  9. #7
    Shaolin Monk Imperatrix Sindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    1,076
    PSN
    Repaereht
    Thanked: 232
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by Goddess View Post
    I personally just miss tag team mode and Jade.
    Same! The tag team mode was my favorite.

  10. #8
    Emperor of Outworld Nasty_Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    By the Hourglass.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,615
    PSN
    Cassandra_Jade
    Thanked: 342
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNinja View Post
    MKX introduced some great new gameplay features and improvements in many areas theres no denying its a fantastically made fighting game and the game does handle beautifully....

    1.the smooth animations, the movements of the characters are great.
    2.environment traversing, being able to bounce off the environment adds more fun and depth to the game play
    3.running, putting the run back in keeps the game flowing without constant dashing

    so all that being said why do i find myself preferring MK9s gameplay?

    i think the problem/difference for me is that MKX is slightly too fast it feels unnatural like its always on a turbo mode.
    a lot of the moves and combos go by so fast its just a blur so its hard to enjoy/appreciate.

    its the same feeling i get when watching a movie fight scene that has shaky cam
    you cant really make out whats going on therefore cant get invested in the action.

    then add to that the really distracting backgrounds right up close to the characters and and the game just becomes messy to look at

    ive been playing a few days now and my main concern is that the game for me is starting to tread in the same waters as injustice did...
    where i played it for a few days and each day lost a little more interest because the gameplay and visuals just weren't very satisfying
    yet with MK9 i genuinely enjoyed it and woke up each day exited to play it because i loved the gameplay and how it felt.

    its a shame for me because like i stated the improvements are great but theres just something about the way the game handles and looks that leaves me feeling 'meh' even though i can still do the impressive lengthy combos like in MK9 the satisfaction level is nowhere near the same because most the combos are just a lot of flashing its hard to tell what the characters are even doing

    i would of preferred they stuck with the fighting engine they made for MK9 and just updated the graphics and added the run and have a few things from MKX like the environment traversing and the smaller reaction time window after blocking a special.

    and as for the stages i think they need a complete re-think on those because its just way to messy. the fighting in MK9 looked much better because it always felt like the characters were the main focus where as MKX stages feel like theyre trying to steal the spotlight.
    and the stages in MK9 were better designed to be more like actual stages/platforms so everything worked visually

    so im hoping the next game the developers can take the best of both games and deliver an MK that looks and plays to its full potentail
    I have to agree with you!!!

    You'll believe God is a woman.

  11. #9
    Defender of EarthRealm
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,218
    Thanked: 1516
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I actually prefer MKX. It's smoother, the combos are cooler, and though it feels a bit harder to do long combos in this game, once you get the hang of it, it feels great when you pull them off! Combos in MK9 kinda feel cheap compared to this game, imo.

    I was never a fan of tag team fighting, so I don't mind it not being in MKX. I do miss Jade though.

  12. #10
    TRMK Moderator Taj Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    B-Town, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,459
    Twitter
    @TheRiseOfTaj
    Xbox Live
    Th3 RiS3 Of TaJ
    Thanked: 1178
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I miss the dash blocking.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Taj Gill For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Emperor of Outworld Immortal Reaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,654
    Xbox Live
    SSyrax
    Thanked: 664
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by Taj Gill View Post
    I miss the dash blocking.
    Running is more fun to me.

    I miss Tag mode. but honestly no one really utilized the Tag combos and such. I was in the top 10 for Tag in MK9 and it's pretty much all I played most of the time. I ran across MAYBE 5 people that would actually try to use tag combos. Most people treated it as two 1v1 matches.

  15. #12
    Hollywood Superstar RADEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    920
    Thanked: 97
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Hold back to block? Lmfaoo who the hell would want that in an Mortal Kombat game? And holding down to block lows? NOPE. Keep that garbage in injustice.

    I agre re game is very fast, but I can still tell what's going on. The other thing I hate about it gameplay wise is the tech roll... It's complete garage. So hard to get off the ground... In MK9 you'd easily be able to get off the ground or do a wake up the second you do the inputs... But in MKX NOPE, and that's just annoying as hell because once you hit the ground it's pretty much over. Wake up attacks feel useless in this game.

  16. #13
    Tarkatan Warrior DFGHTENNIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    271
    Thanked: 65
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I think because of the smoothness that they were going for, mkx would've looked slower than mk9 if it had the same speed. So it was a neccecary change.

  17. #14
    Emperor of Outworld Immortal Reaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,654
    Xbox Live
    SSyrax
    Thanked: 664
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by RADEC View Post
    Hold back to block? Lmfaoo who the hell would want that in an Mortal Kombat game? And holding down to block lows? NOPE. Keep that garbage in injustice.

    I agre re game is very fast, but I can still tell what's going on. The other thing I hate about it gameplay wise is the tech roll... It's complete garage. So hard to get off the ground... In MK9 you'd easily be able to get off the ground or do a wake up the second you do the inputs... But in MKX NOPE, and that's just annoying as hell because once you hit the ground it's pretty much over. Wake up attacks feel useless in this game.
    Back to block isn't garbage in general, but it is for MK. Scorpion broke the game when he was implemented in Injustice. It just doesn't work with MK characters.

    but the wake up game in MKX isn't bad. You can get out of things. Every character has at least one way to wake up with one bar. You can also get up and block. You don't get out of jail free like you would in MK9.

  18. #15
    Lin Kuei Assassin Lord Greyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,448
    Thanked: 903
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I'm not a fan of the run feature; dash canceling was better. The neutral jump attacks in this game also feel wack.

    Otherwise, the gameplay is an improvement.

  19. #16
    Tarkatan Warrior DeBane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    350
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNinja View Post
    for me is that MKX is slightly too fast it feels unnatural like its always on a turbo mode.
    a lot of the moves and combos go by so fast its just a blur so its hard to enjoy/appreciate.

    its the same feeling i get when watching a movie fight scene that has shaky cam
    you cant really make out whats going on therefore cant get invested in the action.
    PC version > Coalesced.ini modding tool > "GameSpeed" > 1.00000 to 0.90000 > GAME ON!


  20. #17
    New Kombatant
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I really enjoyed my first days with mkx, especially the online modes. I loved the close calls and the intensity of the battles and I believed that they had fixed what had been my biggest problem with mk9: the long combos. But then, I encountered players who destroyed me with super long combos. I do not like that it is possible to pull off single combos that deal over 30% damage (excluding x-rays; those are fine). I believe that it makes the fights too short. And also, I do not like having to learn all the long combos from outside sources or experimenting. This also keeps me from playing with more different fighters because having to learn too many combos really gets me confused. I believe that the shorter combos that you find in the menus are enough.

    What do you think about the longer combos? Do you like finding out about them? Do you like experimenting? AND (most importantly for me): do you think that they make the fights better or worse?

  21. #18
    Tarkatan Warrior DeBane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    350
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    I loved the close calls and the intensity of the battles
    The game is literally designed to promote close matches, irrespective of skill disparity.

    Think about it:
    - meter gain for being pummelled (to allow for comebacks)
    - meter gain for your attacks blocked (to promote spamming)
    - easy, timing devoid combo breakers to tie in with the above meter system
    - strictly damage scaled combo to ensure all combos are more less made equal, irrespective of difficulty curve
    - ridiculous uppercut damage and priority relative to the other moves in the game (j.punch > uppercut = 18% in MKX; ground hammer > shoulder upper > front kick = 17% in MK9... WITH SHAO KAHN!!)
    - X-rays that are only worth landing YOLO and just a waste of meter in combo (promotes lucky comebacks)
    - weak defensive system that promotes Tekken-like 'first hit wins' rush-downs, with little recourse for those being assailed...

    Mind you, MK is not the only game guilty of plateauing skill between players with 'catch up' mechanics -- many games do it nowadays and are even far less subtle about hiding it (e.g., X-Factor in UMVC; Ultras in SFIV; Power Blows in DoA5 etc). But don't be so easily fooled that modern fighters are all about pure skill, as most have hard-coded mechanics explicitly designed to make scrubs and casuals feel like they can hang with the 'grown-ups'.

  22. #19
    Kombatant NinjaNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    121
    Thanked: 19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    I really enjoyed my first days with mkx, especially the online modes. I loved the close calls and the intensity of the battles and I believed that they had fixed what had been my biggest problem with mk9: the long combos. But then, I encountered players who destroyed me with super long combos. I do not like that it is possible to pull off single combos that deal over 30% damage (excluding x-rays; those are fine). I believe that it makes the fights too short. And also, I do not like having to learn all the long combos from outside sources or experimenting. This also keeps me from playing with more different fighters because having to learn too many combos really gets me confused. I believe that the shorter combos that you find in the menus are enough.

    What do you think about the longer combos? Do you like finding out about them? Do you like experimenting? AND (most importantly for me): do you think that they make the fights better or worse?
    i love experimenting. i figured out a 40% damage combo with raiden, and then i figured out how to fit in another 2 hits to the combo yet the combo still registers at 40%
    so maybe theres some kinda filter that dosent allow over 40%?

    i dont mind long combos providing they require a lot of meter like with raidens i needed to use all 3
    but if some character could deliver a 40 percent combo with just one meter on no meter then id have a problem with it.
    so to answer you i find it makes the fights better and more intense

  23. #20
    Special Forces Agent Tanyas Husband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Locust Grove, GA
    Posts
    3,775
    PSN
    MattyEC
    Thanked: 353
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: why i prefer MK9 gameplay over MKX

    I know I'm literally just pulling out one sentence,
    But I noticed you said MKX is less smooth. You really feel that way?
    To me it felt like such a nice smooth ride on MKX and more of a rough bumpy ride with MK9.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. lets discuss Jax's gameplay for MKX
    By GOTCHA! in forum Jax Briggs
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 09:25 PM
  2. MKX's future with gameplay balancing
    By FobinenHege in forum Mortal Kombat X Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 02:29 AM
  3. More MKX Gameplay / Full Ermac Fatality / Johnny Cage X-Ray
    By spartan21 in forum Mortal Kombat X Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-14-2015, 04:13 PM
  4. New MKX (off screen) gameplay video
    By DFGHTENNIS in forum Mortal Kombat X Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 03:18 AM
  5. MKX Gameplay Analysis Thread
    By iViTal in forum Mortal Kombat X Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •