Ferra/Torr origin theories

reikoiskahn

If you are like me, you see Ferra/Torr as one of the most interesting new characters. The oddball pairing is a fresh start for their species in Mortal Kombat. Unfortunately, however, the lack of information on them makes it hard to truly know anything about Ferra/Torr. After studying the Mortal Kombat X game, I've prepared a list of things we DO know so that origin theories are easier to formulate. If you find any of these helpful, please post your own theories below.

1. The Tarkata Connection
Source: During an intro dialogue between Mileena and Ferra/Torr, Ferra says, "We eat Tarkatans before." Furthermore, Ferra/Torr were picked up from the Tarkatan wastelands, which is also where they return in their arcade ladder so that Ferra can begin the Great Transformation.

2. Amnesia
Source: When questioned where they are from or how old she is, Ferra responds with, "We no remember." Considering the fact that their species has riders evolve into brutes over time, we can safely assume that Torr should know the answers to these questions. Since he doesn't, though, something must have caused his memory to go blank. Interestingly enough, Quan Chi seems to know something about their species, as he says there were once many like them.

3. Shang Tsung's Hand
The biography of Ferra/Torr states that Shang Tsung could have cursed the two beings to be bonded as one. This, while intriguing, causes confusion. Shang is a powerful and capable sorcerer but, seeing as how the ending says their race is naturally bonded together, cursing an entire race seems to be a tad bit out of his reach. When we look at the biography closer, it says they are, more than likely, members of a forgotten race. Shang is brought back into the equation when Kitana assumes they are one of his flesh pits creations, in addition to Quan Chi knowing about their history. As he and Shang worked with one another in both timelines, it is indeed possible that they shared knowledge with each other, whether for bragging rights or educational reasons.

Side points of information we know but may not have a clear understanding of just yet:
-Ferra/Torr has an affinity for eyes
-Ferra has a limited use of the English language, demonstrated by her bad grammar and vocal patterns

My theory is as follows:
Ferra/Torr's symbiotic race originates in Outworld. They were from a warrior culture and shared their land with the Tarkata, whom they struggled to maintain peace with because of their savage nature. After battling them for a long period of time, the land they shared became a barren wasteland. The Tarkata, having gotten the upper hand in terms of deaths, were able to force the remaining members of Ferra/Torr's race out, turning them into homeless wanderers. When Raiden travels back in time, the memory of Ferra/Torr is impacted because half of their respective souls gets lost in the time spasm and seized by Shang Tsung, which causes them to forget their history.

Dude NOW this is a gd thread! Ima read what you guys come up with! I really dig Ferra/Torr their arcade ending is quite crazy!

Dude NOW this is a gd thread! Ima read what you guys come up with! I really dig Ferra/Torr their arcade ending is quite crazy!

I appreciate the positivity, dude. I hope people come up with some good stuff, too. Ferra/Torr deserves a whole lot of love. I look forward to reading some theories!

Another important aspect to consider is; Who are these people that watch over the riders? Who is it that bestowed Ferra with a lil Torr?

11020478_681556851973039_126281921900762543_n.jpg

11188480_681556821973042_5341273536420542025_n.jpg

Another important aspect to consider is; Who are these people that watch over the riders? Who is it that bestowed Ferra with a lil Torr?

11020478_681556851973039_126281921900762543_n.jpg

11188480_681556821973042_5341273536420542025_n.jpg

I totally forgot to mention those two, so thank you for including them. They are obviously not riders or brutes so who could they be? I almost get the vibe that they are owners. Ferra/Torr's alternate costume is called "servant and master," too, so...

Well their alt is a reference to Master Blaster, in which Ferra is the Master and Torr is the Servant.

If you are like me, you see Ferra/Torr as one of the most interesting new characters. The oddball pairing is a fresh start for their species in Mortal Kombat. Unfortunately, however, the lack of information on them makes it hard to truly know anything about Ferra/Torr. After studying the Mortal Kombat X game, I've prepared a list of things we DO know so that origin theories are easier to formulate. If you find any of these helpful, please post your own theories below.

1. The Tarkata Connection
Source: During an intro dialogue between Mileena and Ferra/Torr, Ferra says, "We eat Tarkatans before." Furthermore, Ferra/Torr were picked up from the Tarkatan wastelands, which is also where they return in their arcade ladder so that Ferra can begin the Great Transformation.

2. Amnesia
Source: When questioned where they are from or how old she is, Ferra responds with, "We no remember." Considering the fact that their species has riders evolve into brutes over time, we can safely assume that Torr should know the answers to these questions. Since he doesn't, though, something must have caused his memory to go blank. Interestingly enough, Quan Chi seems to know something about their species, as he says there were once many like them.

3. Shang Tsung's Hand
The biography of Ferra/Torr states that Shang Tsung could have cursed the two beings to be bonded as one. This, while intriguing, causes confusion. Shang is a powerful and capable sorcerer but, seeing as how the ending says their race is naturally bonded together, cursing an entire race seems to be a tad bit out of his reach. When we look at the biography closer, it says they are, more than likely, members of a forgotten race. Shang is brought back into the equation when Kitana assumes they are one of his flesh pits creations, in addition to Quan Chi knowing about their history. As he and Shang worked with one another in both timelines, it is indeed possible that they shared knowledge with each other, whether for bragging rights or educational reasons.

Side points of information we know but may not have a clear understanding of just yet:
-Ferra/Torr has an affinity for eyes
-Ferra has a limited use of the English language, demonstrated by her bad grammar and vocal patterns

My theory is as follows:
Ferra/Torr's symbiotic race originates in Outworld. They were from a warrior culture and shared their land with the Tarkata, whom they struggled to maintain peace with because of their savage nature. After battling them for a long period of time, the land they shared became a barren wasteland. The Tarkata, having gotten the upper hand in terms of deaths, were able to force the remaining members of Ferra/Torr's race out, turning them into homeless wanderers. When Raiden travels back in time, the memory of Ferra/Torr is impacted because half of their respective souls gets lost in the time spasm and seized by Shang Tsung, which causes them to forget their history.

I wish I could like/give a thank you for your post. Insightful.

I don't believe I have anything useful to include in terms of origin theories, but their alternate outfit [Master and Servant] has a Gladiator vibe to it imo. Perhaps suggesting that their culture was similar to that of ancient Rome? Maybe I'm just grasping at straws there, but it's an interesting thing to consider. It could go hand-in-hand with your warrior culture theory.

Something that makes me think, is why is it necessary for the brute Torr [or Ferra, etc] to be ridden by a seemingly more intelligent rider? Are these brute-like creatures prone to violent outbursts, and constantly need maintaining under control?

Also, what is the significance of their symbiotic relationship?

Many questions with no canonical answers.

Last edited:
Something that makes me think, is why is it necessary for the brute Torr [or Ferra, etc] to be ridden by a seemingly more intelligent rider? Are these brute-like creatures prone to violent outbursts, and constantly need maintaining under control?

Also, what is the significance of their symbiotic relationship?

Many questions with no canonical answers.

It could be that the smaller Rider is learning the ropes of being a Brute. Or it could be this is how Brutes protect their young.
We also don't know anything about Torr's past or Ferra's upbringing. So maybe Torr was as mouthy as Ferra was when he was a kid, but lost his coherency when he became a Brute. Or perhaps Ferra was special and learned how to speak when she interacted with other species (Kotal Kahn and his crew)

As for the second part, Ferra can read Torr's mind. At least this is implied with their intro with Sub-Zero

"You no listen to Torr!"
"The beast said nothing"
"We take eyes, you learn use ears!"

It also appears that they have a special language. She makes strange, tribal sounding noises to Torr which seem to urge him to walk towards Kung Jin before their in story mode. I've watched all of their intros, and I don't think she tries to speak their language with any other kombatants. So she must know that only Torr can understand what she says.

It could be that the smaller Rider is learning the ropes of being a Brute. Or it could be this is how Brutes protect their young.

Both of those make sense, so I say it's a possibility.

We also don't know anything about Torr's past or Ferra's upbringing. So maybe Torr was as mouthy as Ferra was when he was a kid, but lost his coherency when he became a Brute. Or perhaps Ferra was special and learned how to speak when she interacted with other species (Kotal Kahn and his crew)

Possible, I suppose. I don't see any other reasons, to explain why Torr doesn't communicate through speech. Unless...

As for the second part, Ferra can read Torr's mind. At least this is implied with their intro with Sub-Zero

"You no listen to Torr!"
"The beast said nothing"

Perhaps this would explain their symbiotic relationship. Telepathy! Because of her direct connection to the beast, Ferra can hear and understand Torr's thoughts, and read his mind...

It also appears that they have a special language. She makes strange, tribal sounding noises to Torr which seem to urge him to walk towards Kung Jin before their in story mode. I've watched all of their intros, and I don't think she tries to speak their language with any other kombatants. So she must know that only Torr can understand what she says.

I always just took that as Ferra being a bit of a fruit case, but you could be right.

By the way, speaking of F/T, I hope we get one more skin for them. It's probably unlikely, but I was impressed with the skins they have at the minute and was wondering what else Netherrealm could pull off for the character.

Some characters have like 5 skins.

"You no listen to Torr!"
"The beast said nothing"

When you say Ferra is "special," it rings a bell. After Quan Chi says there were once many like them, Ferra says, "Never one like Ferra/Torr!" Now, that could just be general arrogance but it could also mean that there is something that separates Ferra/Torr from the rest of their kind.

The language Ferra speaks is cool. When they debut, Ferra says, "Havitamah." I looked up the word but can't find a clear definition but "Havita mah" is Finnish. She also says, "Otaygah" during the same cut scene and the second fatality where Torr tosses her through the opponent's stomach. Since Torr seemingly only grunts, Ferra must understand him through telepathy because the two work as a well-oiled machine.