2D/2.5D fighters or 3D fighters?

For some it's a matter of which design style you prefer but personally I enjoy some fighting games of each category. For 2D I like Guilty Gear, 2.5D Mortal Kombat, 3D Tekken.

First, lol, that avatar. XD

Second, it totally depends on the game. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter have been both, and I find them being better as 2D/2.5D games, where as Tekken and Soul Calibur works great as 3D games. The freedom you have to move around in Soul Calibur is crucial to its gameplay, and though Street Fighter X Tekken was fun (imo), I didn't like the Tekken characters in 2.5D, even if they did fight as Street Fighter characters. It just didn't feel right.

Overall, I like both, but I think I am leaning mostly towards 2.5D games. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear are amongst my favourite franchises. But as said, I like both, since Soul Calibur and Tekken, and to some extend Dead or Alive, are up there as my favourites as well.

I only play NRS competitively, Tekken is for fun, and screw the rest, too hard lol. So i guess I like 2.5D and 3D.

My favorite 2d would be ULTIMATE MARVEL vs CAPCOM 3
2.5 MKX of course
3d - is Virtua Fighter 5
i enjoy them all for different reasons

Aesthetically, I think 2D sprites age better than 3D models. However, 3D offers more flexiblity. Dynamic camera angles, alternate costumes, and changes/additions to animation can be achieved without having to rebuild images from scratch.

As far as gameplay is concerned, it depends what I'm in the mood for, though I have been leaning towards 2D/2D.5 games as of late. As far as the MK series is concerned, I specifically like MK9 and MKX. I played MK1-MK3 a lot when I was younger, but I cannot get back into them. Other 2D games I enjoy include Skullgirls, Persona 4: Arena, and Darkstalkers.

For 3D, my favorites are Tobal and Virtua Fighter. I enjoy Tekken and Soul Calibur as well, but I haven't kept up with them in recent years. Bushido Blade is in a category of its own, and there hasn't been a game quite like it ever since.

Last edited: