Canon Endings (Spoilers)

Recluse

So is it me or do alot of these endings seem plausibly canon?

Generally how I judge them is how connected they are to the character killing the final boss and their involvment in the story (IE Reptile never killed kahn and forced shang to build a raptor army). So Cassies is more than likley true because she really did kill corrupted shinnok. And that ties into Ermac and Mileenas ending with Shang coming back from the dead.

Eron blacks ending seems to tie together with sonya and jax. So it is possible that jax was shot.

The one that inruiges me though is Reptile's ending. There no real connection to a fight with shinnok. It simply states that Kotal sent him on a recon mission to Earthrealm which is mostly reptiles job most of the time. Is it possible that reptile did find More raptors for real this time?

I find several go together well and really have a feel of expanding existing story. Their is also a lot of hidden and hinted lore to Tsung in the shadows.

I doubt Reptile actually finds anymore raptors. I think it was just an unimaginative and simple ending for them to use.. again. Just like Reptile is always one of the go to punching bags in the storyline.

I do see portions of different endings potentially having some canon material here and there. Ferra/Torr for example. Ferra mature's, leaves Torr to wither and die without a rider, becomes a brute herself and then acquires her own rider. I don't think this scenario (of Torr dying) is necessarily canon at the moment, but I do think the insight into how this species works is. It just gives us some new lore knowledge.

Same with Devorah. We know she doesn't actually kill Shinnok, but I think the idea of her maggot spawns being able to kind of "steal" their host's powers could be cannon.

Erron Black definitely doesn't end up killing all 4 of the MKX "kids" but maybe being imbued with a longer life from Shang, like you mentioned could be. (I'm kind of confused as to what is up with Shang Tsung officially right now)

One of the few endings I thought was potentially completely canon was Kitana. She's the Queen of a free and seperate Edenia but then wakes up to remember she's a Revnant and wants to destroy Raiden. That fits with what she left off in storymode.

I assume that these will happen.

Liu Kang
Kitana
Kano
Ermac
Sonya
Jax
Erron Black (Only the extended age part)
Ferra/Torr

I disliked the death of Jax, if true.

First of all, it included the death of Erron Black.

Second, is NRS serious bringing him back and killing him again? I just hope no revenant Jax again and resurrection.

[...]

I think the endings give HEAVY hints, ambients and plots of Shang Tsung's return (Ermac/Mileena/Erron Black which is connected to Jax/Sonya). One of them takes Ermac out of scene, which could be a reson for him to be out next game. Anyway, that opens that gap of how bringing him back again.

[...]

Many ending have direct connections. While Scorpion had one of his best endings ever, it seems that it's just before Raiden's ending, which would imply that he helped Raiden konquering Outworld (the other connected ending is Kotal Kahn's, which is very clever).

I doubt Raiden isn't mad with Scorpion after Quan Chi's death.

[...]

It seemed to me that Raiden made Cassie kill Shujinko knowing he wasn't Shang Tsung reborn (probably another one after Raiden's ending).

Poor Shujinko. I hope it doesn't make Onaga an impossible dream.

[...]

Jacqui's ending is just WTF.

[...]

Kenshi's/Takeda's ending probably canon.

[...]

Kung Jin's/Kung Lao's ending, there is a possibility.

[...]

Kitana's ending, seems legit to me.

[...]

Liu kang's ending sucks, because the first affirmative (being back to life) never happened. The end of the ending is true, but not for that reason.

[...]

Shinnok's ending not canon, but one of the best and most revealing ever (the closer to that was unused Onaga's ending).

I highly doubt Jax and Sonya's endings are canon. Jax's death is something they'd do in story mode, not an arcade ending.

In fact, I'm going to say none of the endings are canon except for background stuff in them. I'm pretty sure one or two of the writers indicated on twitter that they don't have MK11's plot planned out yet, which makes it all the unlikelier the arcade endings are setting anything up aside from maybe some rough ideas for the future like Raiden attacking Outworld.

Really, just curious why do you think Jax dies in like 3 of them?

He dies in only two that might just be installments of a multi-parter like most of the others. Kung Lao is brought back to life in two as well, but I don't think that's canon whatsoever, and Raiden and Kotal's endings are also connected but I don't think Outworld defending itself against Earthrealm via Mortal Kombat is where the series is heading.

I think these are all mostly fun little what-ifs that expand more on characters like most of MK9's and a bunch of other games' were. No more, no less.

Last edited:
Some parts could end up canon though.

I'm sure Shujinko dies next game though I suspect that Raiden kills him for being tricked by Onaga, not Cassie.

Some parts could end up canon though.

I'm sure Shujinko dies next game though I suspect that Raiden kills him for being tricked by Onaga, not Cassie.

That's the thing on that ending, I got the impression Raiden lied to Cassie to kill Shujinko, probably making this ending connected to his Dark persona of his own ending.

This time around I actually think a number of the endings will bear fruit next game. They went a long way toward making them natural continuations of story mode in most cases.

I think these are all canon:

Ermac -- From several endings it's clear Shang Tsung is coming back; this makes sense as the means. Plus Ermac seems to be dying/decaying anyway.
Kitana -- No reason for this not to be canon. Sets up the next game, plus there must be a reason Jade's not even a cutscene revenant.
Takeda/Kenshi -- Resolves a dangling plot thread with Takeda's mom, kills off unpopular Daegon and Red Dragon 3D era stuff.
Sonya/Jax -- Killing off Jax for good would be a good way to give Jacqui her own storyline.
Kano -- Sets up a successor to lead the Black Dragon. I think Jax, Sonya, Johnny and Kano are all out next time.

These are plausibly canon:

Cassie -- Shows Raiden's corruption (tricking Cassie into eliminating Shujinko), helps sidestep the 3D era plot so they can throw it out.
Kung Jin/Kung Lao -- If it were just Jin's ending I'd think it was non-canon, but they doubled up. I could see this happening.
Jacqui -- Why not? Could set up a new twist in the Kotal vs. Special Forces storyline
Scorpion -- I can't imagine they're going to leave him as just some dude. Good way to give him back the mystical ninja vibe.

These probably or definitely not:

Shinnok/D'Vorah/Liu Kang/Quan Chi/Goro -- Obviously.
Sub-Zero -- The dragons are cool and all, but I doubt it. Makes the Lin Kuei too powerful.
Raiden -- It's illustrative of his corruption and I think parts of this may be canon, but not all of it.
Kotal Kahn -- Like Raiden's, I think this shows where the story is going, but I don't think an actual tournament will happen.
Erron Black -- The backstory stuff is clearly canon, but him killing the kids obviously isn't.
Mileena -- No army; I think this indicates how she'll come back, though -- by shifting her soul into another cloned body.
Ferra/Torr -- The stuff about their species is presumably canon, but if they come back I think it'll be Ferra/Torr not ???/Ferra.
Reptile -- I wish, though, because it'd be nice for him to get some kind of storyline. Plus that spooky lizard queen is awesome.
Johnny Cage -- I think he and Sonya will be out, though this is a clever way to avoid that if they want. Still, seems bizarre to intro Cassie and then magically rejuvenate her parents.

Last edited:
I really like Kenshi's and Takeda's endings, and I hope they will be canon... and I hope it will result in Taven being playable in MK11.

Yeah, I know, and I am also aware that I am but one of a very few who actually likes Taven. But oh well...

I'm not a big fan of most of the 3D era characters, but every character has fans and I don't begrudge people wanting to see anybody come back. We all have our unpopular faves.

(Personally I'd love to see a revamp of Ashrah. She was nothing like Raiden, she just had a big hat!)

I'm not a big fan of most of the 3D era characters, but every character has fans and I don't begrudge people wanting to see anybody come back. We all have our unpopular faves.

(Personally I'd love to see a revamp of Ashrah. She was nothing like Raiden, she just had a big hat!)

Ashrah was indeed cool and I'm sure she can be redesigned so she wouldn't be associated with Raiden.