Sub-Zero's Misogynistic Low String

YungQ94

Alright so I was fighting online one day when I noticed something about Sub-Zero's low string, b+3, 3. Whenever I would do this string I would always do ice ball afterwards cause that's just how I roll. However, when I did this midscreen the combo would not hit. I would get the two hits from the string and then immediately connect with ice ball but the opponent would just block. Note, this player was using Kung Lao

Okay so time travel backwards when I was fighting a Mileena player on another day. I did the combo midscreen and lo and behold the ice ball connects into the combo.

So it had me thinking yesterday; why was it that I could get the combo on Mileena but not Kung Lao?

Well, dear members, I found out that Sub-Zero's b+3, 3 string into ice ball DOES NOT hit male opponents at midscreen but DOES hit female opponents at midscreen. And just out of the kindest of my heart, I tested it out on everybody for the sake of research purposes. To further emphasis on Sub's string into ice ball, I noticed that if I did the combo in the corner on the males then it would hit. And of course it hits the females as well.

What does this mean exactly? Simple. At midscreen you can get an ice ball combo on females from the low string.
In the corner you can get the ice ball combo on everyone.

But what if you're not near the corner on the male opponent and still want to keep up the pressure?

In the Cryomaster variation you do the string and either combo with Ex-overhead hammer or Ex-ice ball. I would recommend Ex-Overhead but take note it leaves your opponent airborne so have your combo ready when you hit confirm it.

In the Grandmaster variation and ice clone would be the best option. Or ice slide to push them into the corner for more pressure.

In the Unbreakable variation I have no clue :lol:

I hope this helps.

Yes. Also with the whole start up of ice ball being slow.
Just wanted to point out what combos and what doesn't

Ice Ball does have a slow frame start-up, but doing an Ice Clone (Grandmaster) then throwing the ice ball helps, IMO, as long as you're not against a teleporter like Scorpion.
The Ice Clone seems a bit unsafe with teleporters, since Sub-Zero backs up after doing the Ice Clone, which sets him up for a free hit from a teleporter.

Thanks for that, I forgot about the whole ice clone, ice ball tactic.

Would teleporters have to immediately react to the ice clone for a full punish or is there still room to block?

Thanks for that, I forgot about the whole ice clone, ice ball tactic.

Would teleporters have to immediately react to the ice clone for a full punish or is there still room to block?

There is a larger delay between cloning and blocking than in MK9, so you are more susceptible to teleports. I think its okay though since barely anyone has a teleport.

I think if the teleporter immediately reacts as you do the Ice Clone they can catch Grandmaster Sub on the other side for a full punish, but I'm not 100% sure.
I don't know how many frames exactly it is between the Ice Clone and Sub-Zero being able to block the teleport on the other side after that.
I'll have to get back to you on that.
I DO know that I've thrown out the Ice Clone vs Ninjitsu Scorpion and have been left open vs the AI on HARD and VERY HARD.
I don't know if the frames between doing the Ice Clone and immediately blocking afterwards are slower or my reaction time just needs to be improved upon.
Could be both. :laugh:

Last edited:
Not online, if you immediately block after it you're pretty safe, unless you Americans have no lag lol.

No matter. Still gonna live there and endure the horror of terrible NRS netcodes. It's gonna be a hard road, but I'll make it

[MENTION=10945]YungQ94[/MENTION]
I LOVE using Grandmaster Sub-Zero because the Ice Clone gives me SOOOO many options.

I could create the Ice Clone to:
- use as a normal Ice Clone, to trick someone into touching it.
- throw it.
- fake throwing it and follow with an Ice Ball, Ice Slide or other move (not good vs a teleport).
- shatter it with the Ice Blast (D,B+1) to cause damage or chip damage (if blocked).

Sub's ice clone has definitely become more versatile in this game.

I would use that variation but I love offensive options man. Cryomancer Sub is the best thing to happen to me since sliced bread

When Sub makes an Ice Clone, I have no idea what to do lol. I'll get punished for anything unless it's a teleport or a 2 hit projectile.

I usually go with Kitana. Her only ways to counter the ice clone are EX Run Stab, EX fans, EX butt fly. Pretty sad lol.

Sub's ice clone has definitely become more versatile in this game.

I would use that variation but I love offensive options man. Cryomancer Sub is the best thing to happen to me since sliced bread

Oh, I agree, and I'm happy that we finally have a rush-down Sub-Zero with the Cryomancer variation, but I'm also glad that Sub-Zero isn't sluggish in the Grandmaster variation.
As [MENTION=17744]Elias6999[/MENTION] mentioned, another option that I have with Grandmaster Sub-Zero is throwing out the Ice Clone to counter a projectile and following up with an Ice Ball, to allow for a combo string.

Now, I'm not great or even good with Grandmaster Sub-Zero in MKX, even though he's my main, but I have noticed all these options at my disposal, and I'm trying to hit up the lab as best as I can with him.

Alright so I was fighting online one day when I noticed something about Sub-Zero's low string, b+3, 3. Whenever I would do this string I would always do ice ball afterwards cause that's just how I roll. However, when I did this midscreen the combo would not hit. I would get the two hits from the string and then immediately connect with ice ball but the opponent would just block. Note, this player was using Kung Lao

Okay so time travel backwards when I was fighting a Mileena player on another day. I did the combo midscreen and lo and behold the ice ball connects into the combo.

So it had me thinking yesterday; why was it that I could get the combo on Mileena but not Kung Lao?

Well, dear members, I found out that Sub-Zero's b+3, 3 string into ice ball DOES NOT hit male opponents at midscreen but DOES hit female opponents at midscreen. And just out of the kindest of my heart, I tested it out on everybody for the sake of research purposes. To further emphasis on Sub's string into ice ball, I noticed that if I did the combo in the corner on the males then it would hit. And of course it hits the females as well.

What does this mean exactly? Simple. At midscreen you can get an ice ball combo on females from the low string.
In the corner you can get the ice ball combo on everyone.

But what if you're not near the corner on the male opponent and still want to keep up the pressure?

In the Cryomaster variation you do the string and either combo with Ex-overhead hammer or Ex-ice ball. I would recommend Ex-Overhead but take note it leaves your opponent airborne so have your combo ready when you hit confirm it.

In the Grandmaster variation and ice clone would be the best option. Or ice slide to push them into the corner for more pressure.

In the Unbreakable variation I have no clue :lol:

I hope this helps.

I bet it hits Goro and Ferra/Torr. They're huge.

I bet it hits Goro and Ferra/Torr. They're huge.
It doesn't. Tested it when I made that post. Only works in the corner for male characters.

[MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]

Yeah I'm grateful that Sub-Zero is faster than what he was in MK9. Hit that lab and let's fight sometime.

Elias those are your best options then. Of course there are always the fans right to make the ice clone shatter right? I don't know anything about Kitana.