So Kung Jin is Gay

Storytelling, people. That's why.
It's not relevant to the fighting game aspect, but it is to the story aspect. Character development.

If it was only about the fighting, there would be no Story Mode, no Arcade endings, no extra costumes, no Krypt, no beautiful stages, no character designs, no graphics... it would just be colourless blocks doing kicks and punches at eachother until someone is out of life.

Storytelling, people. That's why.
It's not relevant to the fighting game aspect, but it is to the story aspect. Character development.

If it was only about the fighting, there would be no Story Mode, no Arcade endings, no extra costumes, no Krypt, no beautiful stages, no character designs, no graphics... it would just be colourless blocks doing kicks and punches at eachother until someone is out of life.

I could be mistaken, but isn't character development supposed to circle around the story? The story of MKX was Earthrealm trying to stop Shinnok from obtaining that amulet, and doing god-knows-what to Earthrealm, Outworld and the other realms. There's nothing there, that gives a character's sexuality a purpose in the events that unfolded...

Maybe this isn't such a big deal.

I could be mistaken, but isn't character development supposed to circle around the story? The story of MKX was Earthrealm trying to stop Shinnok from obtaining that amulet, and doing god-knows-what to Earthrealm, Outworld and the other realms. There's nothing there, that gives a character's sexuality a purpose in the events that unfolded...

Maybe this isn't such a big deal.

It's relevant to Kung Jin's personal story. If it was only about the main story, the only characters important in MKX is Johnny, Shinnok and Cassie. Maybe Raiden and Quan Chi too.

All that said, then no, it isn't a big deal. It's a small piece of info about a character, and that's all. However, it is relevant to Kung Jin as a character and his story, but no, not to the main story.

But that's why I love MK so much. They go beyond the essentials and make this huge world with all these characters and all this interesting lore. The characters are more than just avatars of fighting, they are presented as people with personalities, quirks, emotions and troubles, all tied into eachother.

If you don't like that, then ignore it. But it's here to stay, obviously.

It's relevant to Kung Jin's personal story. If it was only about the main story, the only characters important in MKX is Johnny, Shinnok and Cassie. Maybe Raiden and Quan Chi too.

All that said, then no, it isn't a big deal. It's a small piece of info about a character, and that's all. However, it is relevant to Kung Jin as a character and his story, but no, not to the main story.

But that's why I love MK so much. They go beyond the essentials and make this huge world with all these characters and all this interesting lore. The characters are more than just avatars of fighting, they are presented as people with personalities, quirks, emotions and troubles, all tied into eachother.

If you don't like that, then ignore it. But it's here to stay, obviously.

It was how NRS presented it, that agitated me. It comes across in the tweet as "Look, Look. This character is gay!" Are we meant to like it?

I don't understand why they didn't just have Kung Jin 'come out of the closet' in the story itself, you know?

In other [unrelated] news, Tanya and Jason Voorhees reveal coming soon. Hope you're excited!

It was how NRS presented it, that agitated me. It comes across in the tweet as "Look, Look. This character is gay!" Are we meant to like it?

I don't understand why they didn't just have Kung Jin 'come out of the closet' in the story itself, you know?

In other [unrelated] news, Tanya and Jason Voorhees reveal coming soon. Hope you're excited!

It WAS in the story itself. His story. Because it was only relevant to him and why he hadn't joined the Shaolin before Raiden confronted him. It was a personal thing. And no, I GREATLY disagree with you saying it came across like "Look, Look!". It was so subtle and tasteful, imo, and definately NOT like a huge rainbow-coloured arrow pointing at him.

If you really got agitated by that, then maybe it's not the game you should be looking at, but rather yourself.

It WAS in the story itself. His story.

I mean openly, not subtly. I shall digress and not continue on this subject, for fear of causing an upset.

Because it was only relevant to him and why he hadn't joined the Shaolin before Raiden confronted him. It was a personal thing. And no, I GREATLY disagree with you saying it came across like "Look, Look!". It was so subtle and tasteful, imo, and definately NOT like a huge rainbow-coloured arrow pointing at him

If you really got agitated by that, then maybe it's not the game you should be looking at, but rather yourself.

Maybe. I won't bother you anymore.

Okay, done.

Wait, so you wanted them to go more all in about it instead of going subtly about it? Did you want the rainbow glitter parade?

Okay, here is the truth. I'd have preferred homosexuality stayed out of Mortal Kombat, as I believe it is not the place for it. I thought I'd get flamed for giving my honest opinion. I was searching for a way to avoid butting heads with you, because this is a sensitive subject and I don't want to make enemies. I was trying to find even ground with you on the topic at hand. So I'd have preferred Kung Jin was straight. Is that okay?

I sincerely apologise for lying to you, Incubus.

Okay, here is the truth. I'd have preferred homosexuality stayed out of Mortal Kombat, as I believe it is not the place for it. I thought I'd get flamed for giving my honest opinion. I was searching for a way to avoid butting heads with you, because this is a sensitive subject and I don't want to make enemies. I was trying to find even ground with you on the topic at hand. So I'd have preferred Kung Jin was straight. Is that okay?

I sincerely apologise for lying to you, Incubus.

Then I was right about you should take a look at yourself and not the game.

I think more people would've respected you more if you came out and said you preferred he was straight with no bullshit attached, [MENTION=20660]Shredder6389[/MENTION].

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer he was straight?

I've actually disagreed with incubus before and things usually go pretty well.He didn't start hurling insults at that guy.I have seen gays and pro gays say a lot worse things than ,"there must be something wrong with you"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDITED BY TAJ GILL: Removed quoted rude post

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually disagreed with incubus before and things usually go pretty well.He didn't start hurling insults at that guy.I have seen gays and pro gays say a lot worse things than ,"there must be something wrong with you"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's a strong opinion, but not accepting something so harmless as someone's sexuality does feel very wrong to me. There are indeed things I'm not into, but I accept that there are people who are, and they can do whatever they want and live out their sexualities for all I care, as long it doesn't include or affect me. I feel the same way with religion. People can believe in whatever they want, as long it doesn't hurt anyone or forces anyone into it.

And honestly, yes, if you (as in general terms, not you specifically) feel it affects you negatively how someone else's sexuality, religion, skin colour or whatever, is, then yes, I do think you have a problem that should be dealt with. Because yes, it is you (again, in general terms) who has the problem and NOT the ones you can't accept.

What I'm about to post is pure speculation, I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the Kommunity and see what the rest of you think. [MENTION=5232]Ricochetmatt[/MENTION], I know you hate Liu Kang so this may give you more reason to hate him, lol:

So I play as Liu Kang a lot in MKX, weird I know considering Scorpion is my favourite character, but I love Liu Kang's moveset.

Anyway, I noticed that one of the dialogues between Liu Kang and Kung Jin is as followed:

KJ: You never could accept me!
LK: I am aware of your proclivities.
KJ: Wow, thanks for the reassurance!

Now proclivities means tendencies, habits, etc. with an inclination or predisposition.

So then... Could Liu Kang be a homophobe? Or do you think he is referring to Jin's former thieving ways, which as far as I know, only Raiden knows about...?

What I'm about to post is pure speculation, I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the Kommunity and see what the rest of you think. [MENTION=5232]Ricochetmatt[/MENTION], I know you hate Liu Kang so this may give you more reason to hate him, lol:

So I play as Liu Kang a lot in MKX, weird I know considering Scorpion is my favourite character, but I love Liu Kang's moveset.

Anyway, I noticed that one of the dialogues between Liu Kang and Kung Jin is as followed:

Now proclivities means tendencies, habits, etc. with an inclination or predisposition.

So then... Could Liu Kang be a homophobe? Or do you think he is referring to Jin's former thieving ways, which as far as I know, only Raiden knows about...?

It could be that, however, it could also be about Kung Jin's past as a thief, as you say. Either way, Liu Kang is a douchebag. XD

I think more people would've respected you more if you came out and said you preferred he was straight with no bullshit attached, [MENTION=20660]Shredder6389[/MENTION].

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer he was straight?

Two reasons:

1: I believe straight is natural and homosexuality is not. Don't get angry. These are my beliefs and I'm entitled to my beliefs.

2: I hold bias towards homosexuals because of past trauma inflicted by intolerant ones. I don't want to think of you all as the same, but you're going to have to prove that I'm wrong, and I'll be more accepting of you.

This will help me overcome my own intolerance that I've cultivated the last couple years. Being intolerant of anything just causes frustration and rage and I'd welcome a hand to overcome that.

Two reasons:

1: I believe straight is natural and homosexuality is not. Don't get angry. These are my beliefs and I'm entitled to my beliefs.

2: I hold bias towards homosexuals because of past trauma inflicted by intolerant ones. I don't want to think of you all as the same, but you're going to have to prove that I'm wrong, and I'll be more accepting of you.

This will help me overcome my own intolerance that I've cultivated the last couple years. Being intolerant of anything just causes frustration and rage and I'd welcome a hand to overcome that.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a traumatic experience in the past. There are indeed bad apples in all groups of people, whether it is sexuality, religion or other. And you being hurt to the point of it being traumatic is unforgivable.

Though I don't agree with your initial belief, I do not automatically see you as a bad person because of it. However, I hope you will gain some positive experiences that will help you with your acceptance of homosexuality. And I hope you will learn not all of us are out to hurt you.

It wouldn't surprise me. Liu Kang has always been really annoying and douchey. If he is referencing Jin's sexuality... Meh. Whatever. The focus isn't on him anymore. That's good enough for me. lol

Two reasons:

1. Doesn't matter what you believe. You're wrong. Homosexuality is natural and has been proven as such.

2. Nobody has to prove anything to you. Past trauma brought on by homosexuals? Kay. Cause no straight person has ever inflicted trauma on anybody. lol Gays are people. Some are bad, some are good, some are decent enough. I don't care what your personal issues are with gays. At least have the intelligence to acknowledge the fact that all gays are not the same.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a traumatic experience in the past. There are indeed bad apples in all groups of people, whether it is sexuality, religion or other. And you being hurt to the point of it being traumatic is unforgivable.

Though I don't agree with your initial belief, I do not automatically see you as a bad person because of it. However, I hope you will gain some positive experiences that will help you with your acceptance of homosexuality. And I hope you will learn not all of us are out to hurt you.

Thanks mate. I don't wish to come across as hateful towards anybody, nor do I benefit by showing disdain towards homosexual's, but that is the reason for my posts earlier. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and if I have, we can always talk about setting things straight in PM's.

I was trying to thank your post, but maybe my post count needs to reach a certain limit in order to do that?

[MENTION=20660]Shredder6389[/MENTION] [MENTION=5232]Ricochetmatt[/MENTION]

You guys need to define natural.

If natural you mean that both homosexuals and heterosexuals were "intended" to be created, then I disagree.

If natural you mean that it happens as a result of biological circumstances and not choice, then I agree.