Marshmallow Man

DeBane

Are Goro's fists made of Outworldian marshmallow? One would be forgiven for thinking so, seeing as how much pummelling he can rain down on an opponent and yet they still get back up without much more (even less) damage than taken from any other comparatively weedy characters. Towards the latter parts of his combos, some of his strikes literally do ZER0 damage!... lol

I guess 'four-arms' hasn't been hitting the weights as he once did. Old age does that to everyone...

ramGqNF.gif

More:

- EX lung Lunge only takes 5% more health (out of combo) and doesn't even hit ducking opponents; it also gestures after the move and therefore gives up movement advantage

- EX Quake is all but useless -- the normal version is better as it floors opponents

- X-ray is too weak and actually seems odd with respect to its animation -- its really that hard for Goro to stretch someone?... where's his cool MK9 X-ray?!

- EX Shokan Grab pointless at the end of anything but short combo strings as half its strikes take no damage (damage scaling)

- EX throw isn't worth the meter cost, as it's only a strategical option with very little application

No wonder he's now playable getting all soft like that won't make him a challenge anymore, don't worry we have KITTENTARO! To make up for the lack of Goro can I get a MEOW! MEOW!

- EX Quakes fails to a activate (literally truncates the animation) when attempting to combo into launch opponent from neutral j.punch

- Quake wiffs on attempting combo from neutral j.punch

- j.punch > LK, 2LK > X-ray is more damaging than most of his combos and is Wii level easy to land

- I'm not finding any 50% (or even 45%!) -plus combos with Goro, making him effectively weaker than much of the roster!

No wonder he's now playable getting all soft like that won't make him a challenge anymore, don't worry we have KITTENTARO! To make up for the lack of Goro can I get a MEOW! MEOW!
I would have preferred a strong but low tier Goro than whatever tier he ends up settling at now and a pussy willow punching puny-man .

Raises the question why Kahn, Onaga and co. couldn't have been included in the game (esp. given the lame roster) if NRS were willing compromise the integrity of and nerf the powerhouse characters like this...

- EX Quakes fails to a activate (literally truncates the animation) when attempting to combo into launch opponent from neutral j.punch

- Quake wiffs on attempting combo from neutral j.punch

- j.punch > LK, 2LK > X-ray is more damaging than most of his combos and is Wii level easy to land

- I'm not finding any 50% (or even 45%!) -plus combos with Goro, making him effectively weaker than much of the roster!

I would have preferred a strong but low tier Goro than whatever tier he ends up settling at now and a pussy willow punching puny-man .

Raises the question why Kahn, Onaga and co. couldn't have been included in the game (esp. given the lame roster) if NRS were willing compromise the integrity of and nerf the powerhouse characters like this...

How hard are the combos you have found mate?

I've had a quick play in practice and found a very easy 30% combo but it's in the corner

^ He's got pretty easy 25~35% combos anywhere on the screen. The highest (40%+) are in the corner and require repeated 4RP juggles, neutral j.punch and uppercuts to continuing the combo out of the corner (after turning around).

His combos are easy, but not really damaging compared to other characters because of how many hits he needs to land to do damage -- universal damage scaling. Couple that with his size and 'sluggish' speed (relative to teleporters and those with fast dash attacks, that is) and Goro feels strong but weak in actuality.

The one advantage he does have is his stomp, which can follow up combos for extra damage, and Quake, which can be spammed from afar (but does not duck under projectiles... irritatingly enough).

From what I've seen, I don't expect Goro to feature much at Evo.

Combo example:
- j.punch > 4LP,RP,8RP (launched) > neutral j.punch (bounce) > 6RP,LP > Walk Punch / EX Walk Punch > bash grab.
j.LP > LK,2LK > X-ray
j.punch > 4RP > 6LK > chest grab

Summation: Easy combos. Not much reward. Fewer hits encouraged, even more so than with other characters.

Last edited:
I've been saying this in the other threads. Goro looks weak compared to almost every single character in the game. I see Mileena do and easy 38% meterless combo , but Goro has to struggle to get 32% meterless damage unless he's in the corner where I can get about 35% meterless. The most I've been able to get with him besides and X-ray combo is a 2 meter 42% corner combo. Definitely not worth the meter. smh.

For anybody who thinks Goro was better off in Mortal Kombat 9:

DAMAGE COMPARISON
Damage against normals, [against Sub Boss], {against Final Boss}

Uppercut
Normal Character: 12, [8], {6}
Goro: 16, [11], {8}
Kintaro: 7, [5], {3}
Shao Kahn: 4, [3], {2}

NOTES
*Shao Kahn's strongest physical attacks are the same strength as Kintaro's uppercut.
*Goro's other attacks are around 7 damage with his second strongest being a sweep kick that does 9.
*Attacks do slightly less damage to the Shokan sub-bosses and even less to Shao Kahn.

As somebody who played as Goro regularly in MK9 believe me when I say the Shokan Prince has greatly improved in this game. Goro's basic attacks were slow as hell in the previous game and with the exception of the uppercut they were all surprisingly weak. Even though they had armor frames they were easily punished if your opponent dodged or blocked. In addition to that he lacked jump attacks, a normal grab, and actual kombos. He had about three moves worth using (uppercut, overhand, sweep kick) and the rest was garbage.

The ONLY thing Goro had going for him were some good special attacks and a broken X-ray, but even some of his special attacks were borderline useless. His Tremor Pound was insanely slow and only good against AI or people who've never played the game. His leaping stomp was also very telegraphed and didn't do much damage (though his enhanced version was great). His other special moves were good with the Goro Grab being too good, and still these moves left you wide open to counterattack if you missed. His X-ray was devastatingly powerful and easy to hit but that still doesn't fix everything else that was wrong with him.

The bosses in MK9 were clearly intended to be made playable, but it's like they completely stopped working on them partway through production. I would much rather have a Goro that plays like a normal character than an incomplete mess. Playing MK9 my little brother playing as Liu Kang usually beat me, not because he was more skilled, but because I was using a poorly designed character. Playing MKX our fights are much closer and now I'm the one usually coming out on top. So whine about Goro not being strong enough all you want, just know there are fates worse than this.

Came up with this combo today. Really does feel like Goro misses out on damage more than he should.

I use vanilla Goro too. I don't like the way the variations make him look.

Came up with this combo today. Really does feel like Goro misses out on damage more than he should.

I use vanilla Goro too. I don't like the way the variations make him look.

I thought Goro turned out rather decent myself.

Last edited:
Goro is very overlooked. I never find him in ranked, and in 5 matches tonight (go figure it stopped my losing streak) nobody has had an answer to my Goro. Mileena gets stopped from using her roll/drop down kick, Liu Kang barely got off any moves, and Jax was the only character who could overpower me.