Wishlist for Mortal Kombat 11/III

What I keep saying, if you still are completely missing the point, is that a game like SM will not sell so badly that its existence is unwarranted. Therefore I don't see how you keep insisting that the only reason why such a game will not be made, is because pure fighting games sold more. If they have the right product, at the right place and time, and at the right time, it will sell. That's how marketing works.

The interest is there. SM was a good game. And I doubt they'll be charging £50 for it, unless it's a new GOTY material.

I never said or implied that it's existence would be unwarranted, though. :roll:
Speaking of someone missing the point, oh the irony....

Here, I'll make it simpler, using your own example......
Using your example in post #149:
a) Is the franchise on the radar?
- Action-adventure MK? Why would it be when there is story mode? The MK fighting games are what's on their radar right now.

b) Can we milk more from it without being too repetitive
- Maybe, depending on whether many people buy it or not.
SM numbers don't appear to be THAT strong.

c) Can you guarantee X amount of sales?
- For an action-adventure game? No. You can't really guarantee any X amount of sales, because it isn't proven to be able to stand on its own on last-gen (PS3 & 360) or current-gen (PS4 & X1), unlike the fighters are, with solid sales numbers.

If they make an action-adventure game, they'd be taking a risk, and that's something that you're NOT factoring in.
Is it a risk that they're willing to take? Who knows?

If the make a brand new game, yes, they are going to sell it at full price.
Why wouldn't they?

I never said or implied that it's existence would be unwarranted, though. :roll:

You've clearly implied that one of the reasons that such a game wouldn't be made was because WB was so stuck up on sales, and since MK9 sold more than SM, that's it, game over.

Speaking of someone missing the point, oh the irony....

This should be good.

Here, I'll make it simpler, using your own example......
Using your example in post #149:
a) Is the franchise on the radar?
- Action-adventure MK? Why would it be when there is story mode? The MK fighting games are what's on their radar right now.

People wanted it. Even Boon was tweeting about it. People received his tweets positively. I guess that's under the radar by your standards.

b) Can we milk more from it without being too repetitive
- Maybe, depending on whether many people but it or not. SM numbers don't appear to be THAT strong.

Amazing, this is coming from the guy who kept parading about DLC/guest characters practices, and how many sales they generated.

c) Can you guarantee X amount of sales?
- For an action-adventure game? No. You can't really guarantee any X amount of sales, because it isn't proven to be able to stand on its own on last-gen (PS3 & 360) or current-gen (PS4 & X1), unlike the fighters are, with solid numbers.

When was there an MK SM-ish game on PS4 & X1??? OR PS3 & 360 for that matter?

Remember when I said "this should be good"? Well, it wasn't.
I'll make it easier for you. NRS decides to create an SM game, with WB approval. There's an appetite for anything MK. Due to insane resources they have now, the game looks and plays great, there's an interest and a huge hype campaign. You see it on a shelf/digital/whatever for a price that's not a ripoff. Will you buy it or not?

You've clearly implied that one of the reasons that such a game wouldn't be made was because WB was so stuck up on sales, and since MK9 sold more than SM, that's it, game over.

I've implied that proven sales of mainstream MK fighting games would make those games more likely o be sold.

People wanted it. Even Boon was tweeting about it. People received his tweets positively. I guess that's under the radar by your standards.

Who are these people?
4 or 5 Tweets from the same repeated accounts?
I have yet to see many requests for an action game on Boon's Twitter feed, so please provide links from all of these "people" to Boon who you insist want this game so badly.

Amazing, this is coming from the guy who kept parading about DLC/guest characters practices, and how much sales they generated.

Yes, because sales have proven in the past 2 fighting games that guests sell better than most DLC characters.
It's proven.
Boon said it himself that guests sold the most.

When was there an MK SM-ish game on PS4 & X1???

There wasn't.
That's the point that you're missing.
MK adventure games are unproven on last or current-gen consoles, because WB / NRS have not cared enough to take that risk.
You forget that Paradox made Shaolin Monks adventure game, and NOT Midway Chicago.
So, as far as they (WB) are concerned, NRS (aka Midway Chicago) doesn't have a good track record with adventure games.

Remember when I said "this should be good"? Well, it wasn't.
I'll make it easier for you. NRS decides to create an SM game, with WB approval. Due to insane resources they have now, the game looks and plays great, there's an interest and a huge hype campaign. You see it on a shelf/digital/whatever. Will you buy it or not?
It wasn't "good" to you because you choose to assume things.
Will I buy an action adventure game?
It depends.
It depends on the final product and what it ends up playing like.
The last NRS (aka Midway) adventure game that I played was Special Forces, and it sucked ass, so no, I may be a little weary of spending $60 on it, and rightfully so.
Whereas I KNOW that an MK fighter from NRS of the last 2 console generations isn't as likely to let me down (due to MK9 and MKX), so I'd be more willing to get the MK fighter instead.

I've implied that proven sales of mainstream MK fighting games would make those games more likely o be sold.

NOBODY was arguing against pure sale numbers.

Who are these people?
4 or 5 Tweets from the same repeated accounts?
I have yet to see many requests for an action game on Boon's Twitter feed, so please provide links from all of these "people" to Boon who you insist want this game so badly.

You can easily do it yourself.

Yes, because sales have proven in the past 2 fighting games that guests sell better than most DLC characters.
It's proven.
Boon said it himself that guests sold the most.

Now read what you've quoted.

There wasn't.
That's the point that you're missing.
MK adventure games are unproven on last or current-gen, because they have not cared enough to take that risk.
You forget that Paradox made Shaolin Monks adventure game, and not Midway Chicago.
So, as far as they (WB) are concerned, NRS (aka Midway Chicago) doesn't have a good track record with adventure games.

Nobody taken a "risk" because SM was created in the days of 3D-era, and Midway/NRS was still getting back on their feet! THAT'S the point you're missing by a huge mile. Doesn't mean that the game won't sale now. Not in the slightest. It COULD sell less but at this point nobody knows.

It wasn't "good" to you because you choose to assume things.
Will I buy an action adventure game?
It depends.
It depends on the final product and what it ends up playing like.
The last NRS (aka Midway) adventure game that I played was Special Forces, and it sucked ass, so no, I may be a little weary of spending $60 on it, and rightfully so.
Whereas I KNOW that an MK fighter from NRS of the last 2 console generations isn't as likely to let me down (due to MK9 and MKX), so I'd be more willing to get the MK fighter instead.

Because Special Forces was created by a company who finally got their fighting formula together, finally got the resources they need and the audience, and the huge media campaigns and...yeah...everything they didn't have at the time such games were made.

I told you, that hypothetically, from what they showed it played awesome and looked awesome, and even to further concrete this, the testers said it's awesome. My guess in that case your answer is going to be "yes", in that case it's mission complete for WB/NRS because you've given them their paycheck.

Right, at this point I think I made my point. If you don't mind I'll go drive a tank.

MK adventure games are unproven on last or current-gen consoles, because WB / NRS have not cared enough to take that risk.
You forget that Paradox made Shaolin Monks adventure game, and NOT Midway Chicago.
Then explain why Shaun Himmerick (the damn producer of MKSM, if my memory us correct) is collecting a paycheck from WB's own bank account. I mean, if NRS/Midway Chicago had a bad track record with action/adventure MK games in the eyes of WB, then why did WB still keep the producer of one of them on its payroll?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nobody taken a "risk" because SM was created in the days of 3D-era, and Midway/NRS was still getting back on their feet! THAT'S the point you're missing by a huge mile. Doesn't mean that the game won't sale now. Not in the slightest. It COULD sell less but at this point nobody knows.

Because Special Forces was created by a company who finally got their fighting formula together, finally got the resources they need and the audience, and the huge media campaigns and...yeah...everything they didn't have at the time such games were made.

I told you, that hypothetically, from what they showed it played awesome and looked awesome, and even to further concrete this, the testers said it's awesome. My guess in that case your answer is going to be "yes", in that case it's mission complete for WB/NRS because you've given them their paycheck.

Right, at this point I think I made my point. If you don't mind I'll go drive a tank.

The 3D era (namely between 2005 and 2006 when SM came out, between Deception and Armageddon) was when Midway staring going down the tubes and in the dark ages, not getting back on their feet.
It wasn't until Midway was bought by WB after MKvsDC that NRS started getting "back on their feet."

Special Forces was terrible, imo, which is the point that you're missing.

And I'm telling you hypothetically that I would be weary of an action adventure game by NRS, given that their last effort was horrible in my eyes (Special Forces), despite how it may look great.
This is an indusrty in where their last product of the same genre did nothing to impress me.
Your guess is wrong because you act like you know me, and yet you do not.
You assume that I'll just blindly buy anything, when such is not the case.

Nope, you haven't made any point, but have fun driving a tank.

Then explain why Shaun Himmerick (the damn producer of MKSM, if my memory us correct) is collecting a paycheck from WB's own bank account.

For the same reason that Sony Santa Monica also gets royalties for Kratos in MK9.
Outsourcing Vogel to give ideas on the characters, but the various plot-holes in Shaolin Monks are proof enough that Vogel and his team didn't oversee the entire individual process.
Otherwise, I doubt there would have been as many plot-holes.

Last edited:
The 3D era (namely between 2005 and 2006 when SM came out, between Deception and Armageddon) was when Midway staring going down the tubes and in the dark ages, not getting back on their feet.
It wasn't until Midway was bought by WB after MKvsDC that NRS started getting "back on their feet."

By "getting back on their feet", I've meant after WB acquisition.
Remind me to put /sarcasm next time too.

Re: Story Wishlist for Mortal Kombat 11/III

How about making Ninja Mime? No, for REAL! I want the Ninja Mime movie to be packaged with the next MK game. I mean, think of the cast like Spinal Tap. Credit the fictional cast as though they were the real cast of the movie (up to and including Johnny Cage).

By "getting back on their feet", I've meant after WB acquisition.

No.
You specifically said that SM was created when NRS was getting back on their feet, and that's not the case.
Nobody taken a "risk" because SM was created in the days of 3D-era, and Midway/NRS was still getting back on their feet!
It wasn't until after the 3D era that NetherRealm was bought by WB and re-branded (2009).
NetherRealm didn't get "back on their feet" until 2009 - 2010, not during the time of SM.

No.
You specifically said that SM was created when NRS was getting back on their feet, and that's not the case.

It wasn't until after the 3D era that NetherRealm was bought by WB and re-branded (2009).
NetherRealm didn't get "back on their feet" until 2009 - 2010, not during the time of SM.

Once again he does the same thing he was so furiously complaining about.

too-much.gif

Allow me to spell it out for you.

What I SPECIFICALLY said was that nobody has taken a risk with a game like SM because it was made in 3D era when Midway was going for kaput/wasn't doing so well. After that, I've said they had no reason to take a "risk" because at that time (when MK9 and etc to make it crystal clear) were made, they were still getting back on their feet.

Why are you still going on about this? At this point the conversation keeps looping without an end in sight. I'm not the kind of a person that likes repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Weren't we also promised new MK games annually when MKSM came out?

Doesn't mean much. The company ceased to exist, they have different plans now. Besides...an MK game annually? Woo the new Call of Duty has arrived...

Yes it does actually. "Netherrealm Studios" is simply another name for the old Midway.

Paradox (Midway's sister company) ≠Midway Chicago.
The 2 are 2 different companies with 2 different sets of employees.

If you want NRS to make an action / adventure game, it would be brought to you by the same people who made Special Forces and Mythologies, not the people who made Shaolin Monks.
The people who made Shaolin Monks ≠ Midway Chicago (aka NetherRealm Studios).
That was a different set of employees (Paradox).

Just because Vogel may have helped or given some insight to Paradox, doesn't mean that he was 100% involved with Shaolin Monks.
During that time that Shaolin Monks was likely starting to get made (end of 2004 / early 2005), Deception was also gearing up for release (October 4 2004), and I'm pretty sure that Vogel was more focused on the finishing touches of that project, rather than working on Shaolin Monks.
The likely scenario was that he was an "advisor" for Shaolin Monks, but not 100% involved, which would still get him royalty checks.