Junk or joke tier?

DeBane

Or interchangeable? Chi's moves are so situational and gimmicky that I think his 'X' incarnation may make his crap tier MK9 version look like Igniz in comparison! :laugh:

I'm getting the distinct impression NRS don't really like their sorcerer characters: Shinnok looks like a 'Tsung Institute For the Magically Impaired' drop-out; Shao Kahn as been given the short shrift to make room for DLC cameos, non canonical oddities and kreate-a-kombatant-like dregs; and as mentioned, Chi looks less threatening than a chihuahua in a food coma!

Well, I guess at least all the generic ninja fans will pleased. One thing's for sure -- they'll be seeing a lot of their favourite cookie cutter archetypes this time around. :congrats:

Soooooo you've dedicated time with Chi to confirm this? Along with learning and applying everything he has to offer as a character in one day? Man, you're Godlike, wish I had the ability to do that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Nope. The game is not out yet, so I haven't had the chance. But when one has been around the fighting game traps as long as I have, you get feel for which characters are sucky and which have potential. ...and Quan Chi looks like he learned is sucking arts at The Hoover Company!

Having said that, I'm hardly a tier whore (despite Kahn being my favourite in the MK franchise). So, if Chi is fun to use, I would still main his turd tier self. Hell, I mained Gouken in SFIV and Hugo in Ultra! lol But the problem I see with Chi is that his competitiveness looks to be so hindered that it might just suck all the fun out of using him. He's also not as comical in use as the earlier trailer implications and such presented him as... which is a big minus for a character of his personality. Kinda like the tuantless Kahn in MKvDCU.

Quan Chi is a sorcerer, his moves being gimmicky probably is an deliberate attempt at gameplay to make him act like an actual treacherous and deceiving foe. The bad side to this is that you have to train a lot more with him to make his tricks effective, contrary to the ninjas, assassins and military, who have been educated to finish things pragmatically.

Also, mind games. All his variations include prediction in some level. Sorcerer creates circles, that while slow on the startup, gives debuffs, and make you immune to projectiles, knowing when to use it is key to gaining advantages.

Warlock is the most unpredictable, so, more planning, but at the same time making the opponent jittery because you can fall on top of their head with a move, and hit their back with the other, and combos that come from the most sudden angles.

Summoner is a variation that really asks space for the slow invocation. Once that is covered, you have a projectile of multiple uses that can make you predict easily the opponent's counter attack, and adapt to that on a whim.

- For example: If you summon the bat, and send him to a slide attack, your oponent could have four possible actions:
-- Crouch and block.
-- Jump foward.
-- Jump neutral.
-- Get hit.

Each of those options can be countered.
-- Crouch and block. -- Overhead attack.
-- Jump foward. -- Jump and kick./ Send green skull.
-- Jump neutral. -- Skull projectile.
-- Get hit. -- Prepare to connect combo.

Of course, it sounds, and it is, more complicated than other characters. And some of them might even have an advantage (Unbreakable Sub-zero) over your variation, but as I've seen, he does not look dull. He has it's uses.

I've been mauling with Chi as of late. He's a ton of fun to use. Summoner has great damage anywhere on the screen at the cost of no meter.

[MENTION=4889]BBBLP[/MENTION] could you post a few combos please? I can't seem to be able to do much damage in his combos.

[MENTION=4889]BBBLP[/MENTION] could you post a few combos please? I can't seem to be able to do much damage in his combos.

Which variation do you use? I only use Summoner. If you don't use that variation, I could give you some universal combos.

Midscreen low starter, 32% meterless
b3,2,4~b1,2xxTrance~Summon Puggles~f2,1,2,2~Low Puggles swipe~running f1,4xxSummon Puggles

Midscreen overhead, one bar 37%
b2xxEx Close Rune~Running b1,2xxTrance~Summon Puggles~f2,1,2,2xxLow Swipe~Running f1,4xxSummon Puggles

From here you now have Puggles out and can do unique combos

midscreen overhead starter, 31%
b2+simultaneous low swipe from Puggles (You'll need to practice the timing. The overhead needs to hit first for you to follow up.) Running 1,4xxTrance~Summon~f2,1,2,2xxLow Swipe~running f1,4xxSummon

Midscreen low starter meterless 38%
b3,2,4xxPuggles Fireball~running b1,2xxTrance~Summon~f2,1,2,2xxLow Swipe~Running f1,4xxSummon

Corner Low starter meterless 37% hard knockdown
b3,2,4~b1,2xxTrance~Summon~f2,1,2,2xxFireball~njp~1,4,1

Corner overhead starter, one bar 42% hard knockdown
b2xxEx Close Rune~b1,2xxTrance~Summon~f2,1,2,2xxFireball~njp~1,4,1

I've really not taken to Quan Chi in MKX, and he was one of my mains in MK9. He's a lot taller, a lot slower, doesn't seem to have (m)any really easy combos, and Warlock seems pretty shit. He has slow overhead moves and it's tricky stringing anything together.

He's the first character I've tried where I've just felt frustrated and thought I won't bother in future.

Warlock got a great buff. He actually has a wakeup attack in that variation.

What combos are you having trouble with?

Warlock got a great buff. He actually has a wakeup attack in that variation.

What combos are you having trouble with?

i got destroyed with the low bat b2 at the same time and then the trance repeat. i cant do anything. would you know how to get out of this?

If they do both at the exact same time then it's unblockable. No follow up afterword tho.

If you're saying b2, then low bat, then it's an overhead into a low. Just block high then low.

If they do both at the exact same time then it's unblockable. No follow up afterword tho.

If you're saying b2, then low bat, then it's an overhead into a low. Just block high then low.

what im saying is they will trance you, summon puggles, b2 and low bat so that they hit at the exact same time, then trance again

Quan Chi can only trance once per combo. Sounds like you're being reset at some point. Do you think you can record yourself recreating this in practice mode? I'll understand this better if I can see it.

Quan Chi can only trance once per combo. Sounds like you're being reset at some point. Do you think you can record yourself recreating this in practice mode? I'll understand this better if I can see it.

basically this but dude somehow timed it to hit at the exact same time

I just tried it in Practice mode, I see what you're saying know. He's waiting till Trance ends so that it resets.
Honestly, I see no way out of it. If his timing is truly perfect, then the only way to beat it is with a hyper armor move like an X-Ray.

Ask on TYM, they're much more knowledgeable of the game.