Tanya's Redesign

reikoiskahn

So, guys, what do you think of Tanya's new design? Personally, I think them taking her dark skin away and giving her a typical "y" voice and demeanor makes her beyond generic. It is a shame; she really was one of my top female favorites in the series. I'm surprised no one has asked Ed Boon about this drastic change. Am I being too hard on the new look or do you all agree?

PS~ Makes me think back to when Virtua Fighter did the same shit to Vanessa...ugh.

Nope, I completely agree. They've taken away everything that was 'Tanya' about her apart from her costume being yellow. I'll be honest, the white skin is a big factor, but the facial features are different as well. It's a shame because I had such high hopes for her. Everybody was getting great revamps. I was such a big fan of her Deception look thinking they'd up that, but it is just so flat for me :/

If you didn't know it was Tanya, you'd just assume it was a completely different character. You'd think Anna Williams had left Tekken and joined MKX

Nope, I completely agree. They've taken away everything that was 'Tanya' about her apart from her costume being yellow. I'll be honest, the white skin is a big factor, but the facial features are different as well. It's a shame because I had such high hopes for her. Everybody was getting great revamps. I was such a big fan of her Deception look thinking they'd up that, but it is just so flat for me :/

If you didn't know it was Tanya, you'd just assume it was a completely different character. You'd think Anna Williams had left Tekken and joined MKX

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth. It is such bullshit. Lol I should write NRS an angry letter.

Maybe it's just because Tanya is my favorite in the series, but I actually like this design better. In my opinion, Tanya is Tanya at the end of the day. Now if she doesn't betray Quan Chi, Mileena, Kotal, and Reiko (or atleast 2 of the 3) I'll probably be severely pissed.

So, guys, what do you think of Tanya's new design? Personally, I think them taking her dark skin away and giving her a typical "y" voice and demeanor makes her beyond generic. It is a shame; she really was one of my top female favorites in the series. I'm surprised no one has asked Ed Boon about this drastic change. Am I being too hard on the new look or do you all agree?

PS~ Makes me think back to when Virtua Fighter did the same shit to Vanessa...ugh.

I agree as well. It's the hair that is bothering me the most. Mileena already has shoulder length hair and I'm not sure why NRS decided to give her almost the same hairstyle. I feel like her design was too rushed.

I already made a thread about her MKX design. Just pointing that out.

Anyway
with that being said, I'll still respond here.

They whitewashed her and completely changed everything about her besides her signature costume color, but she's still beautiful and sounds great, and will always be my favorite in the entire franchise. That's all I have to say in the matter.

The only thing I don't agree with is her skintone. She should've been darker. Other than that, I love her looks! She looks gorgous! And her attitude, so much sass! Reminds me of how Jade acts towards Baraka and Sheeva in MK9's Story Mode, and I think it's awesome!

I am pretty happy with how she turned out. Again, her skintone should've been darker, but I can forgive NRS for that. ^^

I love the voice acting and I think it has the right about of b!tchiness and attitude. I love the new costume as well, I think they've really stepped up the female costumes this year. But the skin colour is unforgivable imo. I know I bang on about it a lot, and so do a few others, but when I see all the comments regarding Tanya being in MK X, it's mostly a landslide of skin colour related questions. And i'm not just speaking on TRMK. It really does confuse me. I know there were comments about Jade being lighter in MK 9, but it wasn't enough to make you queston if it wasn't Jade. They've changed her skin colour and features to the point that she's lost her identity

She does look like Anna Williams from Tekken 3. But I still love that seductive voice. It'd be better though if her face was more softer (at least like Christie's from Dead or Alive) and that I hope her voice would be a little deeper but very sexy like Belladonna from Thrill Kill. I hope she's the dominatrix I've been waiting to play as. ;)

She looks much better in game. I think the lighting of the dark trailer made her look really bad. The shadows made it seem like she had a Caveman forehead.

As someone who initially loathed what we could see of her from the kombat pack trailer........... things are looking slightly better to me. Tanya really doesn't even look like the same character but if this is the direction NRS feels she should go in I'll deal with it.
With the whole new look, I"m mostly happy. Love the dark, tight pants, l think the top's design is lazy, but I can move past it.
The white-washing is rather shameful in all honesty, bizarre, and rather pointless.
How could they forget that she was brown-skinned? It'd be like Sonya returning as a redhead... What she wears, what her hair's like, whatever, that changes... But her skin color and features? Really?
I'm sure they didn't think of it as a race thing, but I'd really like someone to figure out why changing skin colour for a character is a good idea? Sega did it with vanessa Lewis but thats a Japanese company and i guess another topic ............SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps.
(from complains to them sega also added a dark skin alt that you could put on vanessa)

I actually never cared for her, especially because I feel others could be way more interesting as DLC, but after seen the avatar by [MENTION=18014]theincubuslord[/MENTION] and her similar skin tone, royal looks and colours as Rain, I am interested to see what they do with her! Makes her a unique and representative of Edenia. It's actually cool they made her different, never cared for just a black version of Sindel and the triple ninjas as far as looks. I can dig it, a lot more interesting than freaking Cassie Cage, Sonya, Nitara, Jade, Sindel or Sareena.

To be fair, the re-design is a response to the MK9 design criticism from various parts as my games design tutor described the ladies of MK as "glorified slave girls and a army dude's favorite stripper".

Tanya skin tone is weird and seems she needs to catch some sun plus I always expected her to be a bit thicker body wise as all the MK9 ladies were a bit too slim with jade having a decent booty.

I know we could bang on about the skin issue for years to come and it'll not change anything, but I just can't get my head around it. Tanya's skin is clearly darker than Jade's. And there were people complaining about Jade's skin being lighter in MK 9, but Tanya is even whiter than MK9 Jade. But even when you put the skin aside, you don't even see anything typically Tanya. She now has thin lips, a rounder nose and a somewhat flatter face. Even the dark eye makeup has been toned down a lot. Don't get me wrong, perhaps they're trying to reinvent her, but in doing so we've lost everything that made her 'Tanya' in the first place. She has a completely new identity. Is she gonna be the Yoshimitsu of MK. The only thing that can convince me this is Tanya is that somehow she got run over by Kotal's chariot and had to be put together again with different pieces in Shang Tsungs flesh pits haha.

This might be a stupid question... but is it possible for a patch to be made where they could correct her a little? :p

Jade has shifted skintone in each game, but she's always had dark skin. When that MK9 render was shown with her having light skin there was so much rage thrown at NRS (at least by those who cared about Jade), but fortunately she was shown with dark skin in-game.

Tanya still has a caramel tan, she isn't Caucasian, but it is indeed still lighter than her MK4 and MKD/A skintone. I just wonder why NRS chose to do that, and maybe with enough requests, will darken her skin for when she's DLC.

However, if they don't, I'll accept that. I still think she looks really cool, I love how she is in Story Mode and hopefully her gameplay and her Variations will be awesome as well.

I'm actually more concerned whether or not they will give her purple flames.

I just wonder why NRS chose to do that, and maybe with enough requests, will darken her skin for when she's DLC.

Are they able to do that though? I'd love for them to get the hint that people aren't happy with the drastic identity change to her appearance, but only thought is that would it not give you two different looking Tanya's from Storymode and general ingame play? Or can you make a patch for the corrections?