The Curious Case of Jacqui Briggs' Mother

reikoiskahn

On Twitter, a user with the handle @endlessfatality asked if Jacqui's mother was important enough for fans to actually see in the comics. This was the reply he/she received:

Shawn Kittelsen ‏@kittelsen 4h4 hours ago

@endlessfatality You'll see her!

Now, my question to you all is: Who is it likely to be? I've seen many people ask about Jade or Tanya, which I assume is based on the fact that Jacqui looks to be fully African American. As both of these ladies have brown skin, they are likely candidates but could it be an entirely new character? There is also a possibility that it could be Gemini, a character who debuted in the Mortal Kombat Special Forces game but was never seen. Who do you all expect Jacqui's mother to be or want it to be?

I have a few theories

Jade (who I do believe is the mother)
Tanya
unidentified women who has no significance
Some lady who'll be named but probably die
Sonya (which I doubt, but hey..)

... I don't see it being Jade or Tanya, for shits and giggles or not. I don't see Tanya having any big significant role since she's DLC, and Jade... I don't think these two even interacted at all during the events of 2011. Sure they may have been in the same room every now and then, but you're expecting me to believe that two characters that had little to no interaction somehow hooked up right after they got their lives back and procreated? I really don't see that happening at all...

Man, some times these random theories on how these kids were created scares me at times. And yes, I do take the fun out of stuff as well.

I see it just being some random woman that has little significance to the story other than being Jacqui's mother and Jax's wife (or girlfriend)

I have a few theories

Tanya

Jade is dead. She's been confirmed to stay dead. So no. And Tanya? Really? Why would she reproduce with a human from Earthrealm? And it can't be Sonya either, unless she gets pregnant with Johnny, gives birth to Cassie, and then jumps Jax immediately after and gets pregnant again. The girls are of same age. And I severely doubt Sonya would do anything of the like.
The mother will be identified in the comics and she's significant to Jacqui's birth, but I could imagine her dying along the way, making it just Jax and Jacqui left.

I have a few theories

Tanya

Tanya and Jade are the most popular guesses on Twitter, it looks like. I'd love to hear why you think Jade is the mother, though, dude. I love the character so I'm always interested in hearing the ideas people have for her. Let's hear it! :)

It should be a caucasian woman.

Jax has lots of african american features and Jacqui has none, so chances are she's mulatto.

Tanya and Jade are the most popular guesses on Twitter, it looks like. I'd love to hear why you think Jade is the mother, though, dude. I love the character so I'm always interested in hearing the ideas people have for her. Let's hear it! :)

Well I can see things tying in. Like in the movie, Jax and Jade had a love interest. Before you destroy me with facts, yes I know the movie isn't the same as the game, BUT, you never know what curveball they'll throw at you. And like I said, no one in MK stays dead. Plus it just seems like a pretty logical fit. If it's not her, I really don't know who it would be, unless it was someone on little significance.

My money is on Tanya. Just hear me out for a second, guys:

Tanya has been associated with Shinnok, Quan Chi, and the Brotherhood of Shadow in the past. Now, considering the fact that Jax is, at one point in the story, an undead pawn being manipulated by sorcery, it is very likely he could have come in contact with Tanya. I'd love for this to happen because of several reasons. The first is because it gives Tanya more of a presence in the storyline, connecting her to not one but two others who factor into MKX. The second is because it gives Jacqui more depth. Imagine if she never knew who her mother was because of the events through which she was birthed and then, Tanya shows up and suddenly, Jacqui has an internal conflict within herself. She'd be struggling to decide who's footsteps she should really follow in: the father who raised her or the mother she never knew but is drawn to out of the curiosity to fill a void in her heart. Finally, I'd really like to see Jacqui earn her place amongst the new heroes by eliminating Tanya (despite the fact that I love her), thereby proving that she will do whatever it takes to protect Earthrealm, even if it means killing her own mother.

Last edited:
My money is on Tanya. Just hear me out for a second, guys:

Tanya has been associated with Shinnok, Quan Chi, and the Brotherhood of Shadow in the past. Now, considering the fact that Jax is, at one point in the story, an undead pawn being manipulated by sorcery, it is very likely he could have come in contact with Tanya. I'd love for this to happen because of several reasons. The first is because it gives Tanya more of a presence in the storyline, connecting her to not one but two others who factor into MKX. The second is because it gives Jacqui more depth. Imagine if she never knew who her mother was because of the events through which she was birthed and then, Tanya shows up and suddenly, Jacqui has an internal conflict within herself. She'd be struggling to decide who's footsteps she should really follow in: the father who raised her or the mother she never knew but is drawn to out of the curiosity to fill a void in her heart. Finally, I'd really like to see Jacqui earn her place amongst the new heroes by eliminating Tanya (despite the fact that I love her), thereby proving that she will do whatever it takes to protect Earthrealm, even if it means killing her own mother.

That being said, I don't think it will be Tanya. :vroam:

If Tanya was some way somehow Jacqui's mother, then literally none of the things you just said would happen, because Tanya doesn't have a finished model to use in time to appear in MKX's story mode. And there's no way NRS would use the atrocity that we saw in the trailer.