The Official "Why Sonya?" thread

Cyrax1986

I am a bit puzzled by her inclusion yet again. She has appeared in all MK games except two of them.

However, I recall that she was absent from MK2 because according to arcade stats she was the least popular character of the first game. Of course fans demanded her to be back in MK3 and she only skipped one game since then.

So what happened? Is she REALLY among the most popular characters now? Personally I thought her post-MK3 appearances mattered little story and gameplay-wise. Her design was hot in MK9 of course but I doubt she holds a candle to the Kitana-Mileena duo in terms of popularity... What are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

You raise a good point: i dont think she has a lot of fans, even compared to waaaay more obscure characters. And now with cassie cage around, complete with much more personality, i dont really see why she is here at all. Lots of weird casting calls in this one.

Maybe Sonya fans have more what to do than spending time in forums ...so you do not see much of her fans here.

You can dont like her...is your right
But you cant say Sonya is not popular......... she was among the 10 most used in the last game (mk9)

1.jpg5.jpg

And if you dont like her inclusion in the roster...easy dont use her.....have more 25 characters to you choose...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
She may not be that interesting storywise but she was hella fun to play as in MK9 as seen above. I like her new look too as she finally wears appropriate attire for her job.

Yeah I think Sonya is going to be huge in MKX tourneys. She looks better than ever. Why isn't she on the select screen though? I hope she's playable. She has to be

popular for online doesn't mean the character itself is popular and wanted. that said, I guess the answer to the topic's question is because their roster choices suck beyond redemption. here's to hoping for at least three secrets characters and at least one more DLC pack though :D

The Official "Why Sonya?" thread

This type of thread again ??lol
And again dudes complaining about animated breast so much that now they don't even have physics in the game ..chick jumpin around and boobs just staying in place now lol just to please the....other crowd.

Sonya honestly didn't become really popular until that kid won that tournament with her..all of a sudden everyone online started using Sonya .

I still like the character's inclusion.I hope they give her more alternates.

"Hereeeee's JOHNNY!!!!"

If you ask me, Sonya should always appear in one more or another. She's the very first female character in the series and that alone deserves respect. Secondly, though, I think Sonya's represented the ideal of "girl power" for a good while now. I know people may disagree with me because of how she's dressed in MK:DA, MKvsDC, and MK:2011 but she's been a centerpiece of Earthrealm's defense for a long time and a mainstay heroine. I would definitely like to see Cassie take up the mantle and become the next lady in the series to do this but I think it would only be right for Sonya to get a proper sendoff and MKX could very likely be that game.

Why would they include an MK original who is a high-ranking Special Forces agent (in a game where the story seems to focus heavily on SF) who was also quite popular online? Idk, it boggles the mind. Why include Sonya? Probably common sense that's why.

I'd be more inclined to say "Why Johnny?" as to "Why Sonya?" Don't get me wrong, i'd have preferred Sonya to sit this game out, but at the same time I'd be surprised if she hadn't been included. As said above, she's the first female in the game, and is pretty much a staple character. I'd probably put Sonya before Kitana/Mileena in terms of MK status.

I'd be more inclined to say "Why Johnny?" as to "Why Sonya?" Don't get me wrong, i'd have preferred Sonya to sit this game out, but at the same time I'd be surprised if she hadn't been included. As said above, she's the first female in the game, and is pretty much a staple character. I'd probably put Sonya before Kitana/Mileena in terms of MK status.

I literally just typed this in my own words, but I see you already did. +Thanks to you.

But you cant say Sonya is not popular......... she was among the 10 most used in the last game (mk9).

This is new info to me thanks, that explains it partly.

However, I feel the "first MK female" argument holds little relevance considering she was absent from what probably was the most popular game of the series and that Kitana seems to be getting more fandom lately.

MK2 was a great game, but it can arguably not be the most popular of all. That opinion isn't shared with the majority of the community.

Sonya and Kung Jin are the only characters revealed so far that don't impress me in the slightest.

I am a bit puzzled by her inclusion yet again. She has appeared in all MK games except two of them.

You just answered your own question. Evidently, NRS wants Sonya to be Mortal Kombat's Chun Li - iconic, bad ass, and instantly recognizable.

They completely botched making her iconic in MK1-MK9, so here is an attempt numero ten (or eight, whatever). They'll keep trying until they get it right, at which point they'll probably keep doing whatever worked, because they'll like how it worked.

It's basically like asking why DC keeps pushing Wonder Woman.

I was pretty outspoken about why Sonya shouldn't or needed in the game but after seeing her in game character. I feel like she is important to the story considering she survived MK9 and the Special Forces has expanded worldwide.

So while i am not the biggest Sonya fan i can live with the decision for her to be part of the game...for now

Sonya´s always been my 2nd...In MK and SF I always play with females because agility is all you need and they have it, (in tekken and other games agility isn´t really important so I play with males IMO) So, since I started playing with MK4 only Tanya and Sonya were available... Both of them became my main chars, til I met Kitana, but Sonya´s continued her role as my second forever.
I love her looks, her personality and her moveset... I think she was one of the most used chars in MK9 due her amazing combos....
But yeah, I have to admitt she shouldn´t be in MKX, and the reason is simple... she had a child which almost everyone confused as her... I mean, Cassie has a different haircut and moveset, but for the rest she can be easily the new Sonya...
So, Sonya being in the game is a wasted spot, specially for post MK3 chars who really deserved a chance of becoming great...

But yeah, don´t misunderstand me, If Kitana was the one who´d have gotten a child with Liu, and this daughter (or even son) could have resembled her, I WOULD BE TOTALLY AGAINST Kitana stealing a spot for the post mk3 chars....

The problem for me isn´t the character, is the inclusion of a family and a family which is really really SIMILAR.... and that´s it....

That´s why Kenshi, Jax and Sonya p@ssed me off....
Well, we can´t do anything now, just play the game, but this should be considered for future games....

Sonya is easily one of the most iconic characters in the franchise. Let's go through all the reasons why she should be included in the game:

- She is one of the three heroes that survived MK 9, which means she will have a large role in the MK X story (and rightfully so)
- Cassie is in MK X. I know many people think 3 Cages is too much, but given what we know about the story, Sonya plays a significant role in the beginning and middle, and therefore, in order to properly have Cassie replace her and Johnny, they'll need a send off game.
- She is popular. Argue all you want, but the character is recognizable and easily one of the most popular female characters in the franchise.
- Her MK 9 design was an abomination and deserves the proper treatment she is getting in MK X before her send off.
- MK X has very few popular female characters (because, up until MK 9, their writing was awful)