lets discuss Jax's gameplay for MKX

GOTCHA!

who_is_this.jpg

Jax's most fleshed out design was MK9, no question. In that game Jax really had blend of different styles; he could fight from a far or upclose which makes him well suited for the variation system imo. He could have style that is geared towards his GPs and projectiles, and another style that is focused on his pressure game which would utilize armor on his special moves making him very scary upclose. And finally he could have a style that makes him a "real" grappler, and I say that because in the past MK games Jax's grabs were just normals that aesthetically looked like command grabs, but in MKX NRS wants to make chars with unblockable/command grabs. Who fits that bill better than Jax! Basically there is a ton potential with Jax MKX design this time around and I can't wait!

Last edited:
I can't really see too much more for him than he already had in MK9.
I have a feeling he's just gonna carry on his previous moveset but with a different design and a few extra boosts.

I am more curious about what his variations might be. Can't wait for NRS to release that information.

It looks like Jax definitely has a window for doing something else with his gotcha grab. maybe where you time your buttons right to extend the grapples or power up his hits?
jipui.gif

The first thing that struct me about his gameplay was his walkspeed and his overall mobility looking much slower than it was in MK9. This is usually the case for grappler chars, so based of that, I feel pretty certain that GG is now an unblockable grab which is awesome. I don't like the functionality of GP being nerfed so heavily though. I absolutely loved the mind games with GP faints in MK9; I really hope he has varitation that retains those abilities.

Is there any gameplay footage of Jax? I tried looking it up on YouTube. No go. Anyone have a link?

He moves so slow, but i guess with dashes and a run it doesn't matter. I'm relatively new to MK, do the characters fall/float at different rates for each weightclass like VF5?

When I saw the GG and he was just holding Johnny I was surprised, I feel like the player will have the option to hit the face, stomach, and be able to slam you down. I can't wait to see Jax ganeplay

He moves so slow, but i guess with dashes and a run it doesn't matter. I'm relatively new to MK, do the characters fall/float at different rates for each weightclass like VF5?

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed in the 25min story video. But in the video I just posted itt, I noticed at 0:29 Jax does something very interesting that I haven't seen any other char do yet. After Jax does a dash punch he does a short quick dash into another short quick dash which looks much faster than his regular dash. Imo, it looks like he is canceling a dash into another dash like something out of MK9 which is weird because I am positive this game has no dash cancels.

As for the juggle thing, everyone should fall at the same rate but it is possible that the bigger hitbox might allow for longer combos to be done on Jax. It did for Sheeva in MK9.

When I saw the GG and he was just holding Johnny I was surprised, I feel like the player will have the option to hit the face, stomach, and be able to slam you down. I can't wait to see Jax ganeplay

My thoughts exactly,that hold time was too long. I was guessing GG into face punch, backbreaker, or Quad Slam command grab

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed in the 25min story video. But in the video I just posted itt, I noticed at 0:29 Jax does something very interesting that I haven't seen any other char do yet. After Jax does a dash punch he does a short quick dash into another short quick dash which looks much faster than his regular dash. Imo, it looks like he is canceling a dash into another dash like something out of MK9 which is weird because I am positive this game has no dash cancels.

As for the juggle thing, everyone should fall at the same rate but it is possible that the bigger hitbox might allow for longer combos to be done on Jax. It did for Sheeva in MK9.

Sheeva was literally trash in Mk9 Lol, but I noticed that dash too, Jax was hella fast last game,but I hope there is dash cancels...I could rack up mad hits with Johnny and Liu

As for Jaxs ground pound it looks like it hits full screen and doesnt result in pop-up(ex might) and his ex dash punch causes bounce

Sheeva was literally trash in Mk9 Lol, but I noticed that dash too, Jax was hella fast last game,but I hope there is dash cancels...I could rack up mad hits with Johnny and Liu

As for Jaxs ground pound it looks like it hits full screen and doesnt result in pop-up(ex might) and his ex dash punch causes bounce
Wow, you're right. I totally missed the EX dash punch causing a pop up.

God that was awful, I couldn't sit through all of that. Hopefully he has unblockable command grabs, I don't see why not because Kano and Mileena has them.

is Mileena Command grab unblockable? Because NRS is petty funny when it comes to the phrase "command grab".

Thanks for posting those pics. I think wrestler is the variation I am most interested in for Jax right now.

A user from another site has MKX and uses Jax -here are his notes about it.
-------
Jax (Wrestler variation)
Gains Air Back Breaker
Multi Slam
Automatic Gotcha Grab
Various Wrestler Strings

Ex Multi Slam (has armor) : Inputs have changed from MKX it is now: square, triangle, x, circle, then all 5 buttons, has to be well timed.

Multi Slam DBF 1 (2hits): triangle

Note: You can choose which side u want the grab to end on, on both versions of multi slam, also multi slam command grab has very short reach so u will have to be right up on ur opponent to get it.

Dash Punch (High): Still punishable on whiff like MK9

Dash Punch (Overhead) Hella Quick!, travels nice distance, and can be comboed in the corner, mid screen does not allow follow up, but hella unsafe on block

EX Dash P Overhead: Recovers more quickly on hit for follow up, dont know how safe it is on block

Jaxs MK9 F4: In MKX it is now his B4 (sweep) and can't be comboed into, but is still a hella good normal.

EX Gotcha Grab: Has armor and can be used as a AA, can be combo in the corner, and used as a wakeup.

Rising Knee BF 4 (DP) great AA move to catch jump ins

EX Rising Knee: Good wake up option

Air Back Breaker: Can still be linked from a JIK.

D3: Toned down from MK9, u can't spam this move anymore to try to dictate pressure, has a slight pause when connected.

D4: Decent reach, and nice option on footsies

Energy wave DB2: Can now be held down, but not dash cancelable

Ex Energy wave: Can be held down, but not dash cancelable, releases 2 shots, high and a mid

Note: Jaxes projectile is hella good this time around, much better then MK9

Ground Pound: Can no longer be canceled ( at least not in this variation) can still choose where u want it to hit

Wrestler variation strings: Jax has 2 special strings in this variation that allows for him to use his spine buster move from MK9 starts off mid and goes into a command throw which can be blocked.