Passing the torch isn't the theme, extinguishing it is.

Vampiric Demon

The next generation of fighters is introduced. Almost everyone seems to accept as fact that they'll follow in their parents footsteps. But given the context of Mortal Kombat: some of them, if not all, might not make it. What if the MKX story turns darker than we imagined and the new generation dies?

What effect would that have on kharacter development?

It would be awful and hilarious.

It would also not make a lot of business sense. NRS is investing a lot of time and money into marketing Cassie Cage - she's the only character who was focused on heavily in both of the big trailers for MKX so far (story trailer and Cage family). Sure, that gives them short term gains in the sense that people will see the trailer and buy MKX, but they want long term gains, too. They want to build brand awareness.

In terms of story, it would feel very strange to have deliberately aged up the entire cast, and then remove the reason for aging them up. So unless the subtitle for MK11 is "Search for the Fountain of Youth," we'll just be stuck with a roster full of 50 year olds for no good reason.

[MENTION=18014]theincubuslord[/MENTION]

Man, there are so many things wrong with that avatar, and I can't even start naming them... :laugh:

It creeps the hell out of me...:vroam:

I said this everywhere else, and I'll say it here too.
I expect this game is Ferra/Torr's first and last game. They'll be the moloch and drahmin of this timeline.
In regards to people like Cassie, Jin, Jacqui, and Takeda,
I'm sure all the 'good guys' will stay alive while another one of our normals will die.

If they kill off a good percent of the new characters, I'm not buying. One good thing (Only good thing) about being on the 360 version: If they do something in the game that would clearly evaporate my interests, I know about it before buying.

Lets just take 5 minutes to just notice the amazing slyness of the topic title.
That is clever.
You deserve so much for this stylish title.

None of the Special Forces kiddies will die. They've all got plot armor up the wazoo.

That said, death doesn't matter in Mortal Kombat.

If they kill off a good percent of the new characters, I'm not buying. One good thing (Only good thing) about being on the 360 version: If they do something in the game that would clearly evaporate my interests, I know about it before buying.

So... you're not buying a game because you don't like something that will affect a future game but not said game?

That's some weird logic man.

If they kill off any of the new characters and that dead character doesn't return for MK11 that will be very hypocritical at this point.

Killing off popular characters won't work if they keep on coming back. We know the fighters that died in MK9 would not stay dead forever expect for maybe Stryker. Unpopular characters like Hsu Hao, Motaro and Mavado that died will likely stay dead forever. That's why the MKX comic didn't kill off Rain and Frost since they are likely to return for future games.

So... you're not buying a game because you don't like something that will affect a future game but not said game?

That's some weird logic man.

No, I'm not buying the game because the main interest I have in it is story mode. If I find out the story mode isn't what I'm looking for, combined with WB's shitty reputation porting games to past systems, I'm not giving it a go.

Its about time they replace Scorpion with Takeda, if hes really back to quan-chi's services its time to melt his ass.
Also if one of the new characters died it would be absolutely a waste of time seen they tried to create all new persona etc.

I expect that Mileena & Kitana return for MK11. They don't age (physically), so I don't see why they shouldn't.