Tanya's Gameplay speculation thread - Special Moves and Variations

theincubuslord

I'm so glad we get Tanya as DLC! I had lost hope of getting any of my favourite characters in the game, so to see Tanya join the roster (even if only as DLC), I am super happy!

So, let's talk about her gameplay! What do you think she will play like? Any ideas on Special Moves and Variations?

Here's some of my ideas:

Special Moves:
- Surging Blast: An eldritch fireball of purple flames hurled at the opponent.
- Aerial Surging Blast: The fireball hurled diagonally downwards when Tanya is in the air.
- Human Cannon Drill: Tanya flips into a spinning arrow with her feet first, sweeping the opponent off his feet and up into the air.
- Split Flip Kick: In a forward somersault Tanya makes a split kick and crushes her heel down into the ground which knock the opponent out.

Variations:
Sorceress:
Being a master of dark sorcery, Tanya uses her knowledge of magic to her defense. Adds these special moves:
- Find Me: Tanya vanishes in dark flames and turns invisible for a short duration of time or until she is hit by the opponent.
- Eldritch Orbs: Tanya conjures two orbs of dark fire which spins around her for a short duration of time and hurt the opponent if hitting her with any punch or kick. Projectiles and other non-physical hits are not affected by this.

Enforcer:
Trained in the arts of Kobu Jutsu, Tanya wields her Tonfa Blades (her MKD-MKA weapons) to battle. She now uses Tonfa Blades in her Normals and adds these special moves:
- Spinning Blades: Tanya spins her weapons in a 3-hit Rekka (first hit must connect for the next to activate).
- Backstabber: Tanya thrusts her weapons forwards, and if it connects, she fades through the opponent and then stabs the opponent in the back a few times.

Edenian Warrior:
Tanya has trained alongside the best Edenian warriors and specializes in stylish kicks. Adds these special moves:
- Knee Strike: Tanya jumps diagonally up in the air with a knee first which kicks the opponent up into the air, then does a backlip kick while in the air with her other leg.
- Spinning Flip Kick: Tanya spins forward and does a helicopter kick hitting the opponent two-three times. (Kinda like Orchid's Flick-Flack from Killer Instinct)

(Note: I did not like her using a boomerang as she did in MK4, so I chose not to have it be part of her moveset.)

X-Ray Move:
- Neck Breaker: Tanya jumps up and sits on her opponent's shoulder, then twists his head around 180 degrees, snapping his neck. She then falls back into a handstand on the ground and pulls the opponent with her into a Frankensteiner which crushes the opponent's skull into the ground. (A tribute to her MK4 throw)

Fatalities:
- Deadly Kiss: Tanya walks over and gives the opponent a kiss on his cheek. The opponent starts spasming uncontrollably while Tanya steps backwards. Then each of the opponent's limbs starts twisting, breaking every bone in his/her body, until his/her neck finally snaps around. The opponent then collapses to the floor, bleeding and broken.
- Eldritch Flames: Tanya starts chanting as a magic circle of purple flames form underneath the opponent. She then waves her hands at the opponent, making a pillar of flames shoot up from the ground, burning the flesh off the opponent who screams in agony until there's nothing left but the charred remains of his/her bones.

What are your ideas?

I hope to see this!!!

(Swallow This)- 1. For a female character, she'd rip of the thigh bone first and shove it inside the mouth. Then she'd break the female victim's neck. Lastly, she'd curb stomp the head with a flaming foot, crushing it in the process. 2. For a male character, she'd rip off his penis (with the camera not focusing on the site of mutilation nor the organ itself but at the back of the victim who's bending over in agony while screaming as blood drips down his legs and the organ would be concealed in Tanya's hands anyways while the hand is curled up in a fist for censorship). Next, she'd shove the penis in his mouth to make him cough and choke. Then, Tanya would use her hands to break his neck. Lastly, she'd curb stomp the head with a flaming foot, crushing it in the process.

I hope to see this!!!

(Swallow This)- 1. For a female character, she'd rip of the thigh bone first and shove it inside the mouth. Then she'd break the female victim's neck. Lastly, she'd curb stomp the head with a flaming foot, crushing it in the process. 2. For a male character, she'd rip off his penis (with the camera not focusing on the site of mutilation nor the organ itself but at the back of the victim who's bending over in agony while screaming as blood drips down his legs and the organ would be concealed in Tanya's hands anyways while the hand is curled up in a fist for censorship). Next, she'd shove the penis in his mouth to make him cough and choke. Then, Tanya would use her hands to break his neck. Lastly, she'd curb stomp the head with a flaming foot, crushing it in the process.

You and your genital mutilations. Living up to your username. XD
That's not meant to be an insult though. ^^

I hope to see this!!!

Wow just wow!, this is as shocking as the Tanya removal petition!

I hope to see this!!!

What's with you and your obsession with penises & genital mutilation? My god...

Anyways, I like your ideas for her, Incubus. I can't wait to see her in action!

What the hell are her combo strings going to look like!? I was thinking about Tanya before; I just can't picture her in close combat. She seems like the type who wouldn't want to get her hands dirty.

i didnt see this thread, i am happy its been made. i have to think and ill come back to it. i like alot of theincusbuslord's thoughts on her moveset.

I hope they actually focus on more of her black magic side, instead of 90% fire. I'm tired of them only putting her black magic out there for 1 special move.

She doesn't have any telekinesis, but she's always been able to levitate for short periods of time. Hope they exploit that a bit.

I've given this a great deal of thought, and I really think Tanya needs a lot of work to make her stand out. First of all, Reptile already has the invisibility gimmick, and it sucks as is. The female kiss fatality is horribly boring and should be left to the original, Sonya, or Kitana.

Here is what I would do for Tanya:

Three Variations: Conspirator, Enchantress, Ambassador

Special Moves:

Dark Conspire: Charges Tanya's Dark Magic Meter. Dark Magic Meter can be used different across various variations, but you can also use it to power-up Tanya's various special moves, giving Tanya a dark, smog-like glow and causing extra damage.

Neck Break: Tanya leaps onto her foe's shoulders, wraps her thighs around their head & swings around them 180 degrees. This move will act similarly to Kitana's throat slash in her assassin variation, with great range and is very quick. You can also burn meter to stun the opponent on the ground, giving Tanya time to charge her Dark Magic Meter.

Human Cannon Drill: Tanya lunges forward, spinning in a cork-screw manner with her feet leading towards her opponent. You can also burn meter to knock the opponent away, giving Tanya space and time to charge her Dark Magic Meter.

Split Flip Kick: Tanya somersaults forwards with a kick directed at her opponent. You can burn meter to make the opponent bounce for a free combo.

X-Ray: Tanya is aided by member of the Brotherhood, who beat the opponent in various ways, only for Tanya to finish them off from behind by a dagger to the back and a snap of the neck.

[Note: I've removed all fire elemental properties from her special attacks. I feel like it's both unoriginal and unnecessary.]

Variation 1: Conspirator

Appearance: Glowing White eyes

This variation is focused on counter-attacks. She uses her dark magic to counter various attacks from the opponent. She uses her Dark Magic Meter to block projectiles, teleports, combos, high/low attacks and counter with her own move. Tanya must have Dark Magic Meter to perform a counter attack, so the player must be strategical when using this variation. Tanya even has a move to counter the opponents X-ray attack, sacrificing her entire dark magic meter to do so.

Variation 2: Enchantress

Appearance: Her hands are permanently burning with dark fire from her magic.

This variation is much more aggressive. In this variation, she uses her dark magic meter to perform various projectile attacks, including those which stun the opponent, drain their meter, limit the opponents moves, etc.

Variation 3: Ambassador

Appearance: Glowing Brotherhood of Shadow symbol hands.

As an ambassador of the brotherhood, this variation gives Tanya the ability to use her dark magic meter to summon various members of the Brotherhood of Shadow, to aid her. She can use some meter, to summon minor demons, or use most of her meter to summon various characters, such as Noob Saibot, Jataaka and Kia. This variation requires Tanya to be more defensive and allow Tanya to have the opportunity to charge her dark magic meter. I think the cult-like nature of the Brotherhood is really creepy and fun, and I think a character that utilizes some of its members would be fun and fresh. Plus, the cameos could be fun for the fans, who haven't seen these characters in some time.

Last edited:
I've given this a great deal of thought, and I really think Tanya needs a lot of work to make her stand out. First of all, Reptile already has the invisibility gimmick, and it sucks as is. The female kiss fatality is horribly boring and should be left to the original, Sonya, or Kitana.

Here is what I would do for Tanya:

Three Variations: Conspirator, Enchantress, Ambassador

Special Moves:

Dark Conspire: Charges Tanya's Dark Magic Meter. Dark Magic Meter can be used different across various variations, but you can also use it to power-up Tanya's various special moves, giving Tanya a dark, smog-like glow and causing extra damage.

Neck Break: Tanya leaps onto her foe's shoulders, wraps her thighs around their head & swings around them 180 degrees. This move will act similarly to Kitana's throat slash in her assassin variation, with great range and is very quick. You can also burn meter to stun the opponent on the ground, giving Tanya time to charge her Dark Magic Meter.

Human Cannon Drill: Tanya lunges forward, spinning in a cork-screw manner with her feet leading towards her opponent. You can also burn meter to knock the opponent away, giving Tanya space and time to charge her Dark Magic Meter.

Split Flip Kick: Tanya somersaults forwards with a kick directed at her opponent. You can burn meter to make the opponent bounce for a free combo.[/b]

X-Ray: Tanya is aided by member of the Brotherhood, who beat the opponent in various ways, only for Tanya to finish them off from behind by a dagger to the back and a snap of the neck.[/b]

[Note: I've removed all fire elemental properties from her special attacks. I feel like it's both unoriginal and unnecessary.]

Variation 1: Conspirator

Appearance: Glowing White eyes

This variation is focused on counter-attacks. She uses her dark magic to counter various attacks from the opponent. She uses her Dark Magic Meter to block projectiles, teleports, combos, high/low attacks and counter with her own move. Tanya must have Dark Magic Meter to perform a counter attack, so the player must be strategical when using this variation. Tanya even has a move to counter the opponents X-ray attack, sacrificing her entire dark magic meter to do so.

Variation 2: Enchantress

Appearance: Her hands are permanently burning with dark fire from her magic.

This variation is much more aggressive. In this variation, she uses her dark magic meter to perform various projectile attacks, including those which stun the opponent, drain their meter, limit the opponents moves, etc.

Variation 3: Ambassador

Appearance: Glowing Brotherhood of Shadow symbol hands.

As an ambassador of the brotherhood, this variation gives Tanya the ability to use her dark magic meter to summon various members of the Brotherhood of Shadow, to aid her. She can use some meter, to summon minor demons, or use most of her meter to summon various characters, such as Noob Saibot, Jataaka and Kia. This variation requires Tanya to be more defensive and allow Tanya to have the opportunity to charge her dark magic meter.

I'm not sure I like this dependancy on an extra meter. Seems alot more fitting Killer Instinct, which has several characters with such a gimmick. Also, alot of the stuff in each Variation seems to copy other characters already in the game. Kitana can counter projectiles in Royal Storm and can counter melee attacks in Assassin. Kung Jin has different kinds of projectile, which stuns and drains meter. And both Scorpion and Quan Chi can summon minions to aid them.

However, I gave you a thanks because I think it's awesome that you've put time and effort into making this. It just sounds alot like what others already can do.

Hmm. It's tougher than I thought. I feel like, for the Ambassador variation, there are ways to making it original. Quan-Chi and Scorpion merely use the demons they summon as projectile based attacks. It would be interesting if the player could control the character (Sareena, Jataaka, Brotherhood lackey, Kia) until Tanya is hit, or something along those lines. It could give Tanya something unique, allow NRS to utilize characters that are forgotten for fun cameos, and still give Tanya that important Ambassador role.

Her boomerang isn't iconic or original, though? Jade (I guess Kitana for one game) and now Kung Jin, both have a weapon with similar properties.

Overall I want them to bring back her iconic boomerang and hopefully let go of those tonfas.

I feel exactly opposite. XD
I hated that boomerang. As RaiNaz said, Jade (and now Kitana) and Kung Jin already have a weapon like that, and in my opinion the Razor-Rang and the Chakram are alot cooler than a normal boomerang.
As for the Tonfa Blades (or Elbow Blades as some call them), I've always loved that weapon and it's one of the things I loved the most about Tanya in MKD.