The Mentor

p.W

The best character in the game has zero threads? Let's fix that.

Johnny-Cage-MKX-2.png

I've heard it said that he doesn't make for a very interesting Champion, and I have to begrudgingly, tentatively... not dismiss the thought out of hand. As a full-on Champion, Johnny Cage might turn into a Mary Sue. Yes, there is such a thing as a character being "too awesome." So the question comes up, if NRS doesn't want to kill one of their rising stars, how do they keep him interesting?

Well, I think they already figured out how.

If MK9 was the start of his journey as a hero and MKX provides the satisfying conclusion of that arc, there's no need to keep him in that role just because. Instead, Johnny is in a prime position to become the mentor of the next generation. Even as early as midway through MKX!

Consider his credentials:

- He was with Raiden from the start of MK9-1
- He survived everything that MK9 threw at him, Sonya is the only other Earthrealmer who can boast the same
- He was the god damn Champion of the Netherrealm War
- He's a pretty stand-up dude in general
- He has access to supernatural powers and would understand how to help a fighter unlock their potential
- And most importantly, he's not a hermit or a God! He's just an average guy! ...ish!

Who else but Johnny Cage would you want helping the next generation keep their shit together?

Raiden - Yeah, Raiden's great, but Raiden tends to prioritize big picture over individuals, and that's not what individuals want. Being a God with a full time day job, Raiden's also hopelessly out of touch with the real world... so while he might be the best teacher for unlocking hidden potential (Cassie says: jury's still out), he's too busy to really understand the problems of little Earthpeople. He needs a co-mentor.

Sonya - Sonya is a tyrant and would eat the kids alive. (Cassie says: can confirm.)

Kung Lao - Even if Kung Lao's figured his own shit out since he came from being dead, being a monk, he has the same problem as Raiden. He's just too far removed from everything. I mean, what if Takeda's gear breaks down while he's training? What's Kung Lao going to do, tell him the best nearby mountain for cell reception to order replacement parts?

Kuai Liang - Couldn't possibly care less, just wants the god damn kids to stay off his god damn lawn.

Scorpion - I don't think he's ready for the Shirai Ryu #3 just yet.

Kenshi - The only plausible alternative to Johnny is Kenshi, which could work pretty well, but I'll ignore that because this thread isn't about him. :-D

I don't think that dying is in the cards for Johnny considering how much of a posterboy he's become in recent years. So the realistic options I see for Johnny moving forward are:

1) Stay a top dog.
2) Remain a top dog, but step out of the spotlight. Be a papa bear. Be ready to put on the sunglasses and step in if Earthrealm finds itself in dire straits, but otherwise take on more of a guidance role.

I really like #2. And come on... who doesn't want to see "Master Cage" in a gi?

Let me know what you think.

I don't want to see him go.
He's irreplaceable, not sure who else has his charm and charisma. His sharp, witty comments are always some of the best dialogue in the game. Cassie can pull off snark, but not the charm and smooth delivery that Johnny carries with it.

I like the idea of him being a mentor kinda like he is now, but he still needs to be in the spotlight. I'm not ready to see him put away the glasses.

I honestly agree; Lui Kang may be the main character, but Johnny needs to be the one to survive; it's just not MK without his douchey dick punches.

I kinda see him being a Miyagi type character, instead of Wax On being with a car it's all his oscars XD

I like the idea...
With the characters you listed

Raiden: Bc he is a God and he is "Timeless" Raiden for the most part can't help but to look at Bigger Picture instead of individually. Doesnt mean he doesn't harbor feelings for his Mortal. Its just how he is so you really cant fault him for that. But thats why you need characters like Johnny Cage Sonya Kuai Liang and so on!

Johnny Cage i agree should be the one to usher/mentor the Next Generation...mainly probably bc he could relate alot easier than say Sonya! JC is like DBZ Master Roshi, very informative and a master in his own right; but very lighthearted and optimistic!

Sonya would be the tough hard hitting feeling hurting instructor but deep down really cares. definitely see he teaching the students about strategy more so than fights

Sub Zero is cold and distant but a dependable ally! (reminds me of my Drill Sgt, Very tough but can give you the confidence needed to succeed)

Liu kang is much better suited for a mentor role then cage. Liu kang knows what it takes. He has been trained by bo rai cho and raiden himself. To me hed be a better guide. For the future heroes. Imnnot saying jc is bad im just saying liu would be better. Its a natural progression of his character

Liu kang is much better suited for a mentor role then cage. Liu kang knows what it takes. He has been trained by bo rai cho and raiden himself. To me hed be a better guide. For the future heroes. Imnnot saying jc is bad im just saying liu would be better. Its a natural progression of his character

Is it a natural progression? Last time we saw Liu Kang, he wasn't acting like a leader or a monk, he was acting like a self-righteous warrior who knows he's the toughest mofo around (which he probably was). If that reminds me of anyone, it's actually of Raiden himself. And I don't think Raiden makes a great mentor, for reasons I've already given.

I'm not saying that he couldn't be taken in such a direction in MKX/later, but I'm not feeling "benevolent teacher" for him right now. The last place he was at, emotionally, was turmoil and rage. I think that the natural progression for him is dealing with that anger. By punching people, if that wasn't clear!

Also, I feel that MKX marks Mortal Kombat moving once and for all away from the White Lotus being the primary good guy faction in the game. (Gonna make a post about this in a sec.) What this means is either the new Special Forces recruits will have to travel to China to train with Liu Kang (eh), or he'll have to live in LA to train them (LOL but I don't see it).

Is it a natural progression? Last time we saw Liu Kang, he wasn't acting like a leader or a monk, he was acting like a self-righteous warrior who knows he's the toughest mofo around (which he probably was). If that reminds me of anyone, it's actually of Raiden himself. And I don't think Raiden makes a great mentor, for reasons I've already given.

I'm not saying that he couldn't be taken in such a direction in MKX/later, but I'm not feeling "benevolent teacher" for him right now. The last place he was at, emotionally, was turmoil and rage. I think that the natural progression for him is dealing with that anger. By punching people, if that wasn't clear!

Also, I feel that MKX marks Mortal Kombat moving once and for all away from the White Lotus being the primary good guy faction in the game. (Gonna make a post about this in a sec.) What this means is either the new Special Forces recruits will have to travel to China to train with Liu Kang (eh), or he'll have to live in LA to train them (LOL but I don't see it).
As in the character as a whole one moment doesnt define his entire attitude and temperament

As in the character as a whole one moment doesnt define his entire attitude and temperament

OK, well I wouldn't call that "natural progress" then. That's a bit misleading. We'll have to see what happens to Liu in MKX before passing judgment on where he can eventually go, but he certainly shouldn't enter the game ready to be a mentor to anyone. I wanna see the dude angry.

Last edited:
Did I call that or did I call that? Or did I call that? :-D

Johnny Cage the mentor is upon us, and it is a thing of great beauty!

He's nowhere near retiring, but he thinks his time is well spent getting the next generation ready. And he's skilled and patient enough a teacher - never mind having enough useful connections left over from his time as Champ, e.g. Sub-Zero - to do a good job of it.

This game was 10/10 for him as a character, honestly. As a fan, I'm ecstatic. His skills went up the notches he deserved, he became a more serious and respectable character outside of fights, his story with Sonya developed, he actually broke stereotypes by being the legitimately good dad to Sonya's not so good mom, and he broke stereotypes again by being the male damsel in distress in the third act, and he got a cool role as teacher to the new generation... all, somehow, without hogging the spotlight and becoming obnoxious.

NRS done good. NRS done real good.

Well his and Sonya's roles are different as mentors. Great story. But yes, Johnny has played the mentor role excellently as we saw in MKX.
You don't have to have been a champion when fighting, or anywhere near it, or fought for a championship to be one of the best mentors of all-time, like Bo Rai Cho.
All Johnny has to do is realize this and believe in himself, that he can be a guide, coach and motivator, and be the greatest mentor of all time.