Ermac looks very lonely without any threads, so let's get some discussion going!
Here are the facts as we know them today:
1. Ermac was created by magical means for the purpose of serving Shao Kahn, Emperor of Outworld.
2. At some point in MKX, Ermac serves Kotal Kahn, Emperor of Outworld.
3. Ermac contains Shao Kahn's soul.
This leads to a couple of possibilities:
1. Ermac was ensorcelled to protect/obey whoever is currently Emperor of Outworld. (Shao Kahn really should have read the fine print.)
2. Shao Kahn's soul is influencing Ermac's actions. So if he's helping Kotal, it's probably because this somehow plays into the agenda of Shao Kahn's soul. (Because in Mortal Kombat, souls have agendas.)
3. Ermac is already becoming willful and self-interested, and either He Believes in Kotal Kahn, or he was promised something in exchange for his services. (Mileena's soul. )
Which do you think is the most likely? And which would you prefer to see?