Preparing the Mental Game for MKX

Critical-Limit

Mentally Preparing

Synopsis:
Basically with this thread I'm gonna help people with various parts of the mental manipulation, emotions, thoughts, perspectives, and how to fix them for yourself, and how to put these negative things on your opponent. I'll try to do a update thread on Self-Improvement once the game launches but since the psychological aspects carry over to every fighting game I'll be mostly using the 2 fighting games I know best for examples MK9, and SSBM. I'll use as little SSBM as possible as I'm sure most people who've read this have atleast played MK9. Possible other small references of mental stability in other fighters.

Ever felt salty? Felt like you can't improve? How come I do bad on some days but do great others? Is it possible to be naturally gifted? And what it takes to aim to be some of the best players in the world.

Player Ability

There are 2 unfair things when it comes to fighting games if we ignore in-game mechanic imbalances.
1.)Genetic Reaction time: Some people are just going to be flat out genetically at a disadvantage. while not usually by a RIDICULOUS margin, it can mean the difference between a win or loss in a game match. Do not let this discourage you, If you work on your reaction you can increase it up to 10-20% faster with training. It's totally possible to increase your odds of winning to stay away from characters that require strict reaction time.

2.)Previous life experiences: Depending on what you've done in your life as you grew up can drastically change how quickly you can pick up on something. Let's use a small example: Lets say I Critical-Limit studied Calculus and I trained hard on doing Math with my head and never used a calculator. Let's say iVital likes to use a calculator for even very minute problems but still working on the same math problem. A repeat of this process over a long period of time would give me an advantage on remember/recollecting events that just happened. This could indirectly increase my ability to adapt to my opponent faster in the early stages. Ivital on the other hand because he spam uses the calculator may have better finger-eye coordination so he doesn't drop as many combos. Both of these can be overcome with training in MKX. Don't fret over this, but it does hold some significant early development irregularities. Where 2 people are working equally hard, but one person seems to be outdoing the other. Other factors play into it, but this is one of those "unfair" because unless you've been intentionally training for fighting games all your life you couldn't have been prepared for this.

Now lets move on to player ability

Here is a measurement bar we will be using
BASIC%20BAR_zpssnle1oxb.jpg

Failure Will indicate complete fail, You dropped everything, made awful decisions, played totally against your normal style. you got crushed, you appear free.

Champion Will indicate the other end of the spectrum, you didn't drop any combos, You reacted to everything properly, You made your opponent make bad decisions by applying insane pressure. Everything is going perfect. You're best in the world

Now have you ever felt like some days you are playing straight up Godlike? You feel like you understand everything that's happening and you're exploding with confidence. Will we'll have this represent a Green line.

On the other end, you have the worst you can play. you know a lot of information, but you're feeling nervous, you're worried about your performance. You know people are going to judge you. This is the part of you we will be discussing how to eliminate. And we'll use a red line to indicate this. When we're at our best mentally we can play at Green line, when we're playing our worse we can't do worse than red-line because our minimum skill can protect us. But something else about our mentality is making us play this bad.

Now back to that measuring stick we used earlier. Most of us aren't world Champion level, so I put the Green Bar just below I'm a threat in tournament. this is your maximum ability. We'll be discussing how to make the follow red lone closer to the Green bar, so even if you're playing not so great, you will be really close to playing your best.

Great%20and%20BAD_zpsxnibym6q.jpg

Now to move that red line as close to the green line as possible we need to evaluate how we look at our next match.

1.) Focus on the Character
Don't focus on the player. You need to work on your ability to erase any instant negative thoughts just because you're going up a well known name. For instance, YunQ here on the boards will often say things like "Hope I don't get bodied too hard" and I've seen other people say things like "Should've known better than to do a bet with Critical Limit" These are player focus thoughts. You should avoid these because they can carry with you into the game. So lets say you're in tournament or a faction war. And everyone's depending on you to beat some tough player. If you are already thinking "Man I can't beat this guy" you are going to be very conscious of everything he does and of yourself. this restricts your ability to properly apply your game plan. You start playing overly defensive and you allow them to exploit you. If you fight Critical limit or REO, Perfect Legend. Look at them as just "Ermac, Kabal, Kung Lao" and just be like "I've trained against Ermac/Kabal/Kung Lao. I know their weaknesses, and I know their strengths. I have a way I play against them. I can do this.

What this does for you is instinctively give you confidence Because it doesn't matter who's behind the character as long as you've done your homework, You know the answers to the situations that will come. The person behind the character has all the same options as someone else behind that character. Stick to the game plan by focusing on the character not the player.

2.)Don't be afraid to Lose
Everyone in the world loses to someone at some point. Nobody is invincible. Daigo Loses to people, Perfect legend loses to people, Mango loses to people. Once you accept that losing isn't a big deal this will greatly decrease the chance of you playing really bad. Other factors that can make you conscious of losing. Is your Ego, or what other people think of you. You need to play for yourself and just try to push your goals to new limits. Don't ever let people looking down on your skill, and don't get salty over a loss against someone. Once you become conscious of losing you will be worried about losing and that will make you play worse. you'll over think things and stray from your game plan. Change your perspective to a perspective that doesn't give 2 shits about losing.

3.) Don't let getting behind affect your mentality
Have you ever started a game confident, but you make 1 wrong read and you ate a huge combo and ended up being behind immediately. Then all of a sudden this 1 wrong read makes you overly conscious, and you start playing a little more defensive. Well you need to do your best at not being shaken up by that. BBBLP on these boards would do no less than 30% on you if he hit you with his teleport punch. He did this to me twice in a row the first time I met him after a jump. But because of his great early lead I got a little afraid to execute my strategies in fear a teleport punch was coming even though if I blocked it just twice he would eat the same damage back. But that didn't stop me from mentally breaking down. Then he started doing normal jump ins and grabs, and all kinds of things while I was STILL worried about the teleport punch.

You can't let getting behind or the threat of a single move completely knock you out of your play style. You'll get crushed. The best way to over come being behind mentally from my perspective is to just take a quick look at some come-back matches. If the man you are fighting is about to Flawless you, doesn't that mean you should technically have the same ability? If you perform a flawless after having 5% HP left.. you just won. If you can look at being behind as no big deal, you will be more likely and capable of bringing it back with a clear head. And then if you Do almost bring it back, 9/10 you are freaking THEM out because they seriously won't want to lose after gaining such a great lead.

Once you can accomplish these 3 things.
Don't be afraid of losing,
Don't let getting behind affect you
Don't focus on the player

I promise you can move that red bar closer to the green, and make your performance margin much more narrower like this
Great%20Barely%20Bad_zpsfexkunmp.jpg

Making your opponent play worse

Just like the Above topic but we're going to be looking to LOWER their red bar, and or make them play as close to bad as possible.

1.) Make them focus on you as a player:

The only real way to do this w/o being a Jerk is to just place high a lot by knowing the game, and playing to your maximum ability more often than others.

2.) Make them afraid to lose

You can make them feel like this by some of the following options:
a.)Trash Talk: No one likes to be trash talked to, and then lose to someone with a suppose ego. You might not even have a REAL ego problem but if you trash talk you can make people not want to lose to you. Careful using this strategy because it's often a double edge sword, Often times you can make yourself afraid to lose because you'll be seen as a Fraud if you can't back up your trash.

b.)Put money on the line with a Money Match. People don't want to lose their money, But also this is a double edge sword. If you are also someone who doesn't want to lose money then you'll possibly be digging yourself a deeper hole as well.

There isn't much else you can do to manipulate your opponent into lowering their bar with the first 2 methods but you have the MOST control over the next section

3.) Pressure them
If you do your best to apply constant pressure and remain in their bubble, You can often times get them to break down and become overly Defensive. Back to BBBLP, he chose a risky move, but made it work, and made sure to put huge damage on it. Then he proceed to mix up jump ins, jump in teleport, Jump in Jab tick into grab. 50/50's ect ect. Because I'm trying to figure out what he's doing when he has like 100+ options available to him. I'm going to start making huge mistakes.

constant pressure has more benefits than disadvantages. The more you put your opponent on the defense, the more you limit their options, and the more you EXPAND yours. If for instance in MK9, in my fear against Teleport punch, I would block. Seeing my fear, You now know i'm going to block and not take a chance to anti-air. So my options have been limited to block high, block low, dash back, or use a DP move. I have 4 options. You have hundreds. You only need to look out for 4-6 things i'm doing, I have to try to option coverage dozens of things that could happen to me. This lowers my bar because i'm not playing my gameplan. This is why momentum is so prominent in fighting games even though in a objective world it shouldn't exist. It does because of how our brains work.

Sleep and Exercise
This will sound ridiculous because all you're doing is pushing buttons right? Wrong. Because most of the time you're playing in a serious setting you are playing for hours. Proper blood flow will help you retain focus and endure longer hours of play. Not trying to be mean, but there are only a very small handful of players who are fat and not in shape that make top 8 in any fighting game. consistently. Not saying there can't be, but there is a reason behind the fact that MOST americans are fat. Yet that % ratio doesn't hold up when you look at the best in the world at any E-sport game.

Sleep has also shown in a recent study that often times if you lack sleep you can easily forget known information or perceive things that happened differently. This can hinder your growth as a player in a small way. There are some advantage to lack of sleep albeit they be temporary. Sometimes being extremely sleep can make you care less about the game you're playing which can sometimes help you auto-bypass those ability increase rules we set earlier. If you're tired you often don't care about losing cuz your body wants to sleep, and you are sticking to your game plan because nothing is affecting emotionally as it normally would if you were wide awake wanting the win really bad.

So stay healthy. Eat healthy too.

Percentage Chance to Win

Every fighting game has a small random element to it. In this section I'm simply going to show you a video that will explain this greatly just after you read a brief synopsis.

Every % counts that you can win. So lets say winning your local tournament your current ability to win it vs everyone else is 1% because you just bought the game. Lets say working on your combos/punishment game raises those odds to 16%, then studying counters to every move in the game raises it to 50%, Then perfect spacing, and execution and reads on players raise it to 60%.

You might be satisfied with winning a little over half the time in your local area. But lets push your boundaries so when you go to a regional tournament you can do better. Because 60% chance in your local could end up meaning only 20% chance in regional.

IF you want the odds increased. you need EVERY little thing. if Sleep and excersize increase your odds by ONLY 2% you might think that's no big deal right? so why bother? Well if you can increase your odds 2% here, 2% there, 1% here, 3% there with a WHOLE bunch of seemingly minor stuff. You can get that extra edge to put you above the best.

Once you become best in the world at something everything becomes almost psychological as your technical mistakes will be greatly reduced cuz of your training. So things like proper Sleep, eating habits, perspectives are MUCH more important at the top level than the lower level because everyone is trying to get that % edge over each other. Take EVERY advantage you can no matter how small to improve your performance.

Here is the video

Improving confidence:

You need to know EVERYTHING about your game in order to naturally increase your confidence. The more you know the more confident you feel in the proper answers to any given situation. Again for this section I have a video to best explain how to get the best mentality on this.

Perspective
Sometimes to get out of emotional traps, and psychological barriers can evolve around the simple idea of changing your perspective. A lot of people have goals, If you want to aim for best in the world, you can't let any miss-steps otw to that journey discourage, and a way to do that is to approach the game form a learning standpoint. Learn the game, use tournaments to test your progress. If people you use to beat are beating you, you shouldn't let this discourage you. By challenging you they can force you and give you practice to the counters of your play style. You should be looking at a local scene that does their best to adapt to you as a blessing if you want to be the best in the world. That way you can be exposed to as much of the game that you may not have even thought of, to gain more knowledge. Then you take that to tournament. And find EVERY loss or win, and go over every moment in those matches if recorded with a fine comb and weed out all the errors of your play. Figure out new answers to things you ran into.

If you can look at the world as a learning tool, rather than a place where the strong beat the weak. This can greatly help your perspective.

Train your brain to react and read

Do your best to not fall into habits. Jumping in may get you wins against some people. But deep down you should know jumps are unsafe, And if you fall into the habits of jumping at people because it works so often when you finally fight someone who can counter it everytime you're going to keep jumping. You need to do your best and remaining unpredictable by doing the unpredictable even in boring matches where you could easily win with jump spam. Make sure to keep your mind fresh thinking even in boring matches that way you don't need to readjust when you fight serious matches and to get out of bad habits.

Hands staying warm is similar to your brain staying warm. Ever seen Starcraft players spam inputs when all they have to do is wait for their workers to mine? early game doesn't require much action, but pros will spam all their hotkeys and reselect deselect, and just keep their hands warm so when the game's pace speeds up and they need the speed their hands are already ready. The brain works the same way. If you allow yourself to play lazy against a noob, you will eventually play lazy against good people unintentionally. You need to train your brain to play every match like it's Grand finals no matter how badly you're winning.

Motivation

This is the final part, You need to LOVE the game. If you can only stomach like 3 hours a day and you gotta call it quits because it gets boring. You can't ever become world champion level. You must live and breath the game with the right mentality and guides toward your goals. You need to love the game so much you think about it when you sleep, you create situational theories while you're at work day dreaming.

You need to anticipate getting home to play, and playing until it's bed time. It needs to be your life. You need to love the mechanics, the info, the social aspect.

If you don't have this level of motivation it's going to take some EXTREME will power to push yourself to get better when you're not really caring that much about getting better.

And sometimes keeping your motivation you have to accept things like losses will happen, mental barriers can happen, But the motivation if strong enough can help you overcome these things. Then when you finally see that your hard work is paying off and your results are getting higher, you'll get some of that happiness Dopamine flooding your brain and you'll get even more motivated, and you'll become addicted to that success and crave it.

Maybe more later.. :)

Last edited:
Holy crap that's a long read! Will finish it later! But I appreciate what you have done. I myself am not that great of a player ( pretty average) And will see if this stuff will help me

Holy crap that's a long read! Will finish it later! But I appreciate what you have done. I myself am not that great of a player ( pretty average) And will see if this stuff will help me

I'll be doing a thread about Self-Improvement, and best options vs mediocre options and why sometimes BEST option isn't always BEST. And how to analyze yourself and improve.

But I need MKX in my hands before we can talk about that stuff. I'll probably do a video for that as its easier than typing.

I think you should forget about the tournament stuff and focus on tips that are helpful to beginners. They are the ones who need it the most. Plus, a lot of this stuff will go over their heads.

Example: how to properly use training mode, how to select a character, how to stop mashing,footsies, whiff punishing, pokes, etc.

I think you should forget about the tournament stuff and focus on tips that are helpful to beginners. They are the ones who need it the most. Plus, a lot of this stuff will go over their heads.

Example: how to properly use training mode, how to select a character, how to stop mashing,footsies, whiff punishing, pokes, etc.

Kinda need the game for most of that

Yes! I love this! Where were all these tips when I first started gaming? Excellent job [MENTION=8252]Critical-Limit[/MENTION] :love:
Truly, a great read.

Good information all around critical it's great to see good players return to mk. I was sad to see the community get divided when injustice released. I pray mkx doesn't suffer the same fate....but like you already stated until we get the game in our hands, we'll never know for sure. A lot of mkx's life will be determined by the online community and unfortunately NRS doesn't have the best track record in that regard. Hopefully NRS listens and learns from their past mistakes but only time will tell.

Good information all around critical it's great to see good players return to mk. I was sad to see the community get divided when injustice released. I pray mkx doesn't suffer the same fate....but like you already stated until we get the game in our hands, we'll never know for sure. A lot of mkx's life will be determined by the online community and unfortunately NRS doesn't have the best track record in that regard. Hopefully NRS listens and learns from their past mistakes but only time will tell.

I'm a little scared because of ex grab resets into possible 50/50s. And possibly how I feel about 100% removing dash cancel.

Yes! I love this! Where were all these tips when I first started gaming? Excellent job [MENTION=8252]Critical-Limit[/MENTION] :love:
Truly, a great read.

No you don't. Just explain the philosophy behind it. Fundamentals are universal. I remember when I first started playing MK9, I had no idea what any of this stuff was. I had to learn on my own. The only reason I stayed with it was because MK9 was a fun game. I see a lot of people online on Injustice who don't know how to do the most basic stuff. I taught one guy the concept of overhead/high/mid/low attacks and the importance of wake up attacks. These are things that a lot of beginners don't know.

No you don't. Just explain the philosophy behind it. Fundamentals are universal. I remember when I first started playing MK9, I had no idea what any of this stuff was. I had to learn on my own. The only reason I stayed with it was because MK9 was a fun game. I see a lot of people online on Injustice who don't know how to do the most basic stuff. I taught one guy the concept of overhead/high/mid/low attacks and the importance of wake up attacks. These are things that a lot of beginners don't know.

If they are beginners like you said, using other fighting games as examples isn't as engaging as MKX is the game they are wanting to learn. So it's be much more productive to just give MKx examples and I'd like to know what options training mode has before talking about it.

I could explain the concept of footsies, spacing, pressure, tools, ect ect.

But I'd like to have MkX examples.

If I start talking about fierce punch and roman cancels, or dash dancing, or any other examples from other fighters it would be confusing to read w/o gaining knowledge of the game first.

I had this problem despite understanding basic fundamentals when going to blazblue and their lingo.

So... this is kinda a how-to list if you wanna be a pro-tournament gamer?
Where's the "Remember to have fun" part?

That should be a given, why play a game you hate?

Also it's not only for pros. A lot of this can affect low level players too. If you are serious about self improvement. You'll run into these psychological problems.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying but I disagree. You can use this thread as a primer to improve people's basic fighting game knowledge so when they go into MKX for the first time, they'll have a good understanding on things to lookout for. You don't have to go into engine specifics. Regardless of the game, the philosophy behind footsies and pokes are still the same.

When MKX releases, come back to the thread and update it. This could be like a living guide for beginners. When I started out in MK9, I didn't know what the heck zoning was. Reset?!?!?! What the f#%k is that? 1,F2,3,B4? Huh? I was THAT green! It won't hurt to provide an explanantion on the basic philosophy behind fundamentals.

I understand what you're saying but I disagree. You can use this thread as a primer to improve people's basic fighting game knowledge so when they go into MKX for the first time, they'll have a good understanding on things to lookout for. You don't have to go into engine specifics. Regardless of the game, the philosophy behind footsies and pokes are still the same.

When MKX releases, come back to the thread and update it. This could be like a living guide for beginners. When I started out in MK9, I didn't know what the heck zoning was. Reset?!?!?! What the f#%k is that? 1,F2,3,B4? Huh? I was THAT green! It won't hurt to provide an explanantion on the basic philosophy behind fundamentals.

I have threads In the mk9 section that address what you're saying. A couple got lost in the void I even drew bubbles around cyrax to show his max reach.

It takes hours to write this stuff, if rather not double dip. I took wed-sun off so I'll have one up pretty early

Very interesting general guide for keeping composure during the match. If I had to put my line somewhere in that chart, it would between I'm Alright and I'm a Threat, with somewhere a little past the halfway point.

Like the other are saying above me, this guide can used for overall fighting games in general and not just MKX alone. Although training mode is a definite must, if you just getting into fighting games.