What makes a character a good character for you personally!?

What is the most important thing in your favorite character choice?

• Their looks, outfits

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Their Attitude or behavior

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Their play style, combo's ect

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Their Special Powers

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Their Race, Gender or Nationality

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Their finishing moves

• Their Color

• Their Story

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Their Weapons

• Other - please mention what

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sonya Bland

BANALITY
Freak! I only said color, now people think I meant color of the skin probably, but that isn't the case! I meant color of the theme of the character, like yellow is to Scorpion! And it seems my little poll worked anyway! Could be because I dyed my hair before creating it!

I tried to turn this sweet-little-topic into a Poll, but my blonde hairs are in the way of doing so it seems... Well at least I tried.

Ok, everybody has it's own preferences what makes a character likable and their personal favorite character.

Now i'm a curious little creature, and i'm very curious and fascinated towards other peoples leading choice of picking their ultimate favorite characters in Mortal Kombat.

Well now would be a good time to learn how to create poll options... but because I don't fully understand that option yet i'll go with the prehistoric way:

What is the most important thing about a character that makes it among your personal favorites?

If you want you can put the numbers in order from most important to least important, filling in #10 yourself.

1) Their overal looks, their clothes, their outfit, their whole being as a concept art, their overall model.

2) Their attitude or behavior, you like Cassie because she's sassy, or you love Sonya because she's bland (j/k, however...) or you like the mysterious behavior of Erron Black and Reiko, or Reiko's strategist mind or Mileena's sluttish mind.

3) Their Playablity, like you know how to beat the hell out of other players with Scorpion or Sub-Zero, or you always win with Cyrax? Or you can do the most awesome combos with Jax or Li Mei so they grew on you in that way. People that don't care a freak about the story and just pick their favorites because they play nice are welcome in this Group 3.

4) Their special powers, like controlling fire, electricity, lightning, or summoning rocks/earth in your dreams (Tremor) and telekinesis, necromancy, shapeshifting and everything else X-men-ish goes into this group

5) Their race, like Spectre, Edenian, Shokan, Tarkatan, but also Native American, African American, Asian ect. (don't be afraid, the people screaming YOUR A RACIST are ignored in this topic, everybody could have a racial preference) Gender also goes into this little group, so if you are more into boy characters vote here, more into girls vote here too.

6) Their finishing moves and other finishers, like you never cared for Sektor, but after the Scarecrow fatality in MK9 he instantly became your favorite character, or you only like Liu Kang because he can turn into this F#)*#%$)#$ Pawesome Dragon!

7) Their color, well not really non-important is the color that is dominant in their appearance, like Yellow is to Scorpion and Tanya and Red is to Ermac, Sektor and Skarlet for example.

8 ) Their story, you grew towards the character because you really adore the good heroes in a story? Or you really love some story twist in your favorite characters development. Alignment is also within this group, if you love evil guys just because they are evil, welcome in group 8.

9) Their weapons, well maybe in reallife you do some Archery and so Nightwolf and Kung Jin instantly grow to you because you recognize yourself in them! Weapons can be very important to what makes a character.

10) Other, like you like mysterious characters or you like characters that start with the letter T because your own name starts with a T lol, or maybe their age? You like young characters because you are young yourself?

I hope I don't forget something very important in this list, if I do let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's seriously any and all of the above. Anything that makes the character memorable and instantly recognizable.

My biggest beef with a lot of the characters I dislike are that there isn't anything about them that really stands out from the crowd. Jarek was just a poor man's Kano. Kobra, Kira, Dairou, and Darrius felt generic. Mavado used hookswords like Kabal.

Whereas the classic characters in this game, by and large anyway, have SOMETHING about them that makes them stand out. Whether it's some weapon, or a move, or some physical attribute.

As far as favorite characters I care most about personality and look. For example I've always loved scorpion cause I think he looks amazing. I like Cassie cause I loveeee her personality. I think she is straight up hilarious. However I will play with whatever characters that move set fit my gameplay prefrences.

I know it's hard, but you have to choose what is the MOST important thing in this list for you, I myself to like a combination of all options in my favorites, but descent very deeply into your own soul and think about what is the most important feature your favorite characters possess.

If you really can't do that just hit the 10th option! ;-)

I myself have chosen Story, as a story is what makes a character for me personally interesting and cool. Mileena (the reason i'm here and the reason I became addicted to MK) made me hooked on clone characters, she was the first clone I encountered in my life and I found that concept very interesting.

Gameplay, as it should always be. Would be pain in the ass trying to struggle with character only because he / she is kewl.

Did you make this thread to try and prove a point?

Anyway, I refuse to vote because a good character in my eyes has to have a good balance of ALL of those things.

I'd say a combo of special powers and looks draw me to PLAY as a character, but for an objectively GOOD character story's gotta count too for sure

Anyway, I refuse to vote because a good character in my eyes has to have a good balance of ALL of those things.

What point?

Because i'm rotten, primal and evil doesn't mean I can't make a serious poll/topic once in a while...

Same here while gameplay is important I'm not gonna play a character who is not aesthetically pleasing, whether we like it or not style is very important to a fighting game and I'm sure nobody wants to play a fighting game where the characters have the same model and appearance

Yes we get it, everything is just as important.

But for some people there is one of those things that stands out from the rest. I'm more curious at their thoughts.

Lots of freedom with their playstyle and combos. I love Sub-Zero, but there really was only way you could play him in MK9. So it can get stale. Storyline doesn't really matter much. They need to look cool in my opinion. They can't feel cheap to use (I'm looking at you MK9 Kung Lao).

Yes we get it, everything is just as important.

But for some people there is one of those things that stands out from the rest. I'm more curious at their thoughts.

That was completely unnecessary. We are able to express our opinions on your thread just like everyone else. I kept mine nice, short, and to the point, no attacks or anything, the question about your point was merely a curiosity, but if you want to get rude I can get rude too.

And the point I feel you're trying to prove with this thread is ultimately that Jax, Johnny, and the rest of the special forces don't deserve a spot over characters like Rain (which I believe WILL be in the main roster), Fujin (Whom I don't think is going to survive the comics for some reason) and Tanya (Again, I don't get the appeal, but whatever, that's people's preference)

Now, I actually agree with you on it, but frankly you're being a massively immature shit about the subject.
Calling people NRS cultists and acting like you're some kind of higher form of being.
Get fecking real.
Your pathetic psychological defense mechanism does you no good when dealing with real people, and you ARE in fact dealing with real people, in the real world.
Your talk of make-believe slave boyfriends who do your every bidding or minions or whatever the Hell you call it only reaffirms the fact that you're a sad, lonely, pathetic sack of garbage who needs to take themselves down a notch and re-evaluate their choices before they hit send on the computer screen and realize, "Wow, that sounds stupid" Nobody believes your garbage, get over yourself.

That was completely unnecessary. We are able to express our opinions on your thread just like everyone else. I kept mine nice, short, and to the point, no attacks or anything, the question about your point was merely a curiosity, but if you want to get rude I can get rude too.

And the point I feel you're trying to prove with this thread is ultimately that Jax, Johnny, and the rest of the special forces don't deserve a spot over characters like Rain (which I believe WILL be in the main roster), Fujin (Whom I don't think is going to survive the comics for some reason) and Tanya (Again, I don't get the appeal, but whatever, that's people's preference)

Now, I actually agree with you on it, but frankly you're being a massively immature shit about the subject.
Calling people NRS cultists and acting like you're some kind of higher form of being.
Get fecking real.
Your pathetic psychological defense mechanism does you no good when dealing with real people, and you ARE in fact dealing with real people, in the real world.
Your talk of make-believe slave boyfriends who do your every bidding or minions or whatever the Hell you call it only reaffirms the fact that you're a sad, lonely, pathetic sack of garbage who needs to take themselves down a notch and re-evaluate their choices before they hit send on the computer screen and realize, "Wow, that sounds stupid" Nobody believes your garbage, get over yourself.

Lol, that was kinda harsh and personal.

I kinda like it! Thanked your post for the nice try and effort.

And no, while i'm a famous hater of Jax and CO, this topic has absolutely zero % to do with Jax, Sonya or whomever else.

I may suffer from narcissism dear, but you show signs of paranoia. xxx

Lol, that was kinda harsh and personal.

I kinda like it! Thanked your post for the nice try and effort.

And no, while i'm a famous hater of Jax and CO, this topic has absolutely zero % to do with Jax, Sonya or whomever else.

I may suffer from narcissism dear, but you show signs of paranoia. xxx

Lol I normally don't post like that, I'm generally a very peaceful person but I need to get it out of my system once in a while. I do apologize for being a bit harsh. But I firmly stand by most of the more rational things of what I said.

What tempts a nice-looking guy like yourself to the side of pure evil if I may ask?

Well good guys are always boring and one dimensional. bad guys are cool and interesting. I have always been wiyj the bad guys. In batman i was woth two face. In mk am with shao kahn. In x men am with magneto

What good will peacefulness bring you in this world anyway? Better have some fun once in a while, you only live once and life is useless anyway.

Damn, I even go offtopic in my own topics... I must suffer from Offtopica-syndrome too...

I would say it's between these 3-4 things
Powers-Story-gameplay-Looks
Then I guess their attitude/Finishing move.
Quan chi is my favourite.