Reptile got the shaft, again.

Immortal Reaver

How do you guys feel about Reptile so far? I was really hoping that NRS would put him in a better spotlight this time around, but that doesn't seem like the case. Most of his overall design just feels extremely uninspired. Don't get me wrong, he does look decent. but there are aspects of him that I feel like they didn't even try to be creative with.

His fatality is just the same face melting technology as D'Vorah's Fatality, and then just splitting their head in half like Johnny Cage's fatality from MK9.

His variations don't really change him a whole lot. They even confirm that by saying that all of his combos will be relatively the same through all of his variations. With his Deceptive variation, he can go invisible. He can also use meter to stop his forceballs in place, with I actually really like that. He can also turn invisible. You can hold down the button while turning invisible to completely vanish, or spend a bar to vanish instantly. Which honestly seems like a waste of meter. Just do the extended invisibility on knockdown for free. With his Noxious variation, he just gets Solomon Grundy's stink cloud around him. Which he can then meter burn to make the radius of it bigger. With his Nimble variation, he just gets The Flash's time manipulation. Which again will be useful, but also a rehashed idea.

Intro dialogue isn't as varied as they promised. Reptile has the same dialoge for Kano as well as Kung Lao.

With his X-Ray, he just pokes their eyes out then slams their head on the ground. Where is the creativity? Have him grab them with his tongue, put a force ball to their chest, and have it explode to cave in their chest? Just something that's not generic, you know?

not to mention his face. What in the hell were they thinking? Most people were disappointed with Reptile's face in MK9, but...

reptile.jpg

His face is much more reptile and less bird like. I like it, the texture work just looks a little muddy.

As a fan I may be a bit less critical due to relief that my favourite has made it in. However I agree the fatality needs a lot of work. With the variations the only thing that goes as far as to actually worry me is the invisibility. How useful will that be vs the cpu? A whole variation that requires me to go online for it to be useful will suck.

The other variations I think I'll love, especially noxious. They only add one extra technique but its a major thing that changes the gameplay of that variation on the whole. If it wasn't such an overriding change, say only an airial acid spit got added then I would hate it. The nimble variation finally gives Reptile that agile play style that a character of his theme (and what he was capable of in MK9 cutscenes) should have had for a long time.

As for his face I love it. Looks like the savage monster he is.

How do you guys feel about Reptile so far?
He looks and looks to play fantastic.

The fact that he can now stop his forceballs by burning meter has a lot of set-up potential. Your opponent jumping over the forceball? Stop it under him.

Invisibility variation gives him insane 50/50 potential. He doesn't need to spend meter anymore for the opponent to not know which attack he is performing. Plus, MK9 invisibility was a damage buff. It that applies to MKX, this can be troublesome.

The Noxious variation is really cool. It's the one most people will use because they just need to be more up close and personal than usual. Corner game will be ridiculously strong, especially combined with the EX acid puddle. Free damage constantly. Probably about 10-20% of the opponent's health is gone just by fighting against you, unless they're good at keep-away. Having the life lead is even more advantageous now.

His Nimble variation seems interesting, although I need to see more of it to properly judge. Just the fact that his enhanced speed allows for new combos that wouldn't otherwise work opens up a lot of possibilities. Using it straight after knocking the opponent down is best. You can out-zone pretty much anyone while it is going on. Its viability depends on how long the cooldown period is.

Yeah, the variations don't change his moveset much at all, but that's because he has such an extensive line-up of base specials that he keeps across every variation. This actually makes him a more consistent, solid character and easier to learn.

His X-ray is lacking, and his fatality sucks, but I really don't care about that.

I think his face looks great. He's not supposed to be pretty, y'know. Reminds me of his MK4 face.

Looks-wise, Reptile hasn't ever looked better. I love both the primary and the alt, although we haven't seen the primary in action, to be fair.

Immortal Reaver said:
Intro dialogue isn't as varied as they promised. Reptile has the same dialoge for Kano as well as Kung Lao.
This is not exclusive to Reptile. Every fighter will have generic dialogue that applies to anyone they're fighting, and that dialogue will be repeated often.

Last edited:
I think he's fine. Considering the terrible shit that he's been through in the past, this is pretty good.

For me, overall he looks good. I like both costumes, but I'd still like to have a human-like alternate. His gameplay looks fine with some cool new moves, but I would've liked to see more special moves in the variations. His fatality is ok, good but not great. I like how Kitana's face looked all melted and deformed. Could've been even better though. Maybe his second fatality will be even better. His X-ray is decent. So overall, I'm pleased.

not a fan. his face looks like a wood carving he looks like a tree or some kind of fukt up plant creature,

i dont see reptile here at all

and his eyes are so far apart it looks stupid. and yeah i know reptiles in real life have their eyes at the side of the head but cmon wtf

MKX REPTILE LOL.jpg

His face just looks... bad. It's too flat and pushed in. Too much of an overall cylindrical shape. His MK4 face was on the flat side, but it still looked really good and not derpy.

Mk4ReptileCloseUpCut-Out2Modified--.png

not a fan. his face looks like a wood carving he looks like a tree or some kind of fukt up plant creature,

Definitely agree... but I don't hate it. All the other stuff about him (uninspired moves, fatalities, and x-rays) bothers me a lot more.

Definitely agree... but I don't hate it. All the other stuff about him (uninspired moves, fatalities, and x-rays) bothers me a lot more.

His character is a rushed bag of vomit.
He's obviously going to just be used as the casual character to beat every 5 or so battles in story with no contribution to the storyline whatsoever.

I think he needs a little bit more of nose, and the nostrils more defined.

Also, the mouth, looking sideways, just a little bit forward.

It's weird and it's easy to tell why. Put your hand on the picture of the first post above his mouth where the mask covers.

It's notable that the eyes are in a different pattern than the face. They just need to put it in the same face.

Looks like it was done in a separate way.

His face doesn't bother me too much. It looks like they tried to make Reptile repulsive in this game. With the drool, the stink cloud and the tongue attacks. I can respect it. Dude isn't supposed to be beautiful.

I like his look more than MK9 but it's still totally meh in my book. They said the V shape of his bone vest is a touch of the classic ninja look but no.. it really doesn't capture that.

I liked a lot of the different costumes we saw in the concept art more than what we actually got. His alt looks like it might be nice.

But what else is new, Reptile always looks bad.

i dont see reptile here at all

and his eyes are so far apart it looks stupid. and yeah i know reptiles in real life have their eyes at the side of the head but cmon wtf

View attachment 7609

I'm glad that they're making him look odd. He's a reptilian person from some exotic outworld place. I didn't expect him to be pretty or look human. The eyes on the side are fine. But his x-ray is such a disappointment. It's too generic for how weird he is. And they had some really interesting costume designs like the cobra hood. WHY DIDN'T THEY USE THAT???

I have a funny feeling the Noxious variation will be banned from tournaments. That sure looks broken to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

He looks amazing, IMO. They definitely got him right this time around. I honestly don't think any of the concepts that were shown looked better than the look he was actually given. Unfortunately, the same thing can't be said when it comes to Kitana's alt.

I like his look
I like his moves
I like his Intros (especially with Kotal)
Just gotta wait to see how he is in Story Mode

But regardless I like Reptile