Kotal Kahn: To Be or Not to Be

reikoiskahn

As I'm sure many of you have guessed by now, I like starting individual threads about characters and a specific idea or concept behind them. The threads have generated a great amount of responses, if you ask me. That being said, I figured it was time to create one for the new kombatants. The first up will be Kotal Kahn. In this thread, I'd like you all to give me your early opinions on him, as well as any ideas you think will add to his character. The main focal point of this thread, however, is to examine him from an alignment angle. In my opinion, Netherrealm wanting him to be the "big bad" as it currently stands presents a problem for various reasons. Let's examine a few of these reasons I've listed below:

1. From what we know, Kotal Kahn already has two primary enemies he will be facing in the comic: Mileena and Goro, in addition to their respective cohorts. As both are traditionally "evil" characters and seemingly of particular importance in the comics, this puts Kotal in a spot where the odds are stacked against him. When most of us think of villains, we see people with things working to their advantage. This does not currently seem to be the case for Kotal.

2. Kotal will soon suffer "an unimaginable loss." This could mean either Erron Black is murdered or Ferra and Torr betraying him. Erron is one of his most trusted warriors and it looks like Ferra and Torr were at one point working for him, evidenced by the intros in the game. I'm specifically referring to the one where Ferra says, "We big boss now!" Regardless of what the loss ends up being, a loss is still a loss and in this case, it is one of great proportions. This creates a sympathy factor for Kotal, which is unlike anything we've seen for Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Shinnok, Quan Chi, or Onaga.

3. Kotal is also described as being more concerned with being a leader, rather than a conqueror. This strips away the tyrant gimmick that founded Shao Kahn and replaces it with someone who wants to add order and stability to the way Outworld is ran.

Now, knowing that Kotal does in fact become the new emperor of Outworld in Mortal Kombat X, will gamers truly be able to view him in a negative light? Having triumphed over all obstacles and still participating in the tournament makes him look like the definition of courageous. I do not see how anyone could think he is anything other than a hero unless something drastic occurs and he ends up causing a genocide in Outworld. What about you guys?

Kotal Kahn just seems like he is neutral. He wants to hold Outworld together. Mileena just wants to pick a fight with him because she believes she is the heir.

Where did you get the impression Netherrealm wants him to be the "big bad"? Given comments on who the main villain of MKX is, it's clearly not him.

Kotal Kahn just seems like he is neutral. He wants to hold Outworld together. Mileena just wants to pick a fight with him because she believes she is the heir.

But doesn't him wanting to hold the realm together already scream heroism? Rather than wanting to rape the land or enslave the people (this could turn out to be true, going by one of Ferra's intro lines to him), he steps up as a leader.

Can you give a source? Because given that he's also described the villain of the game as a "fun, surprise returning character", I think he might have misused that term to describe Kotal.

I believe Kotal Kahn is also more of a Neutral Role than a Villain. His character is seemingly already more interesting than Shao Kahn in his appearance and just from a few panels in the comics

I could kotally see him as being one of the main protagonists of the game. A protagonist doesn't need to be a heroic good guy.

Bingo.

Kotal Kahn has the potential to be the most interesting character in the MK franchise immediately upon that character's introduction. Everyone else took years to get going. He's already got the look, he's got a unique playstyle, he's - dare I to hope? - an anti-heroic character who gets shit done in the story, and will naturally create conflict around him without being a one-dimensional power hungry villain.

5/5, would create again

I could kotally see him as being one of the main protagonists of the game. A protagonist doesn't need to be a heroic good guy.

nicholas.gif

Based on what I've seen, I see him like I stated earlier. He seems menacing, but not necessarily evil.

Kotal Kahn is a new dawn for Outworld!

When one of us would ever imagine an Emperor of Outworld diplomatic accepting chains and asking permission and help to strike enemies on Earthrealm?

Shao Kahn would never do that, and I bet Onaga wouldn't. And Mileena is a fake, she deserves nothing of Outworld.

Besides the fact that Outworld is the "realm-eater" of the lore, with a diplomatic position, we can find more peace among the realms.

No konquerors! It's time for LEADERSHIP!

IN KOTAL WE TRUST!!!

8KXTA1Y.pngY

Very true. Kotal doesn't seem as power hungry as Shao Kahn did.

Hopefully this plays out to a rivalry between him and Ermac having a rivalry since Shao Kahn is supposedly apart of Ermac now. Maybe something similar happens to him like in Cyber Sub Zero's ending and an epic confrontation happens with Kotal?

Kotal Kahn is a new dawn for Outworld!

When one of us would ever imagine an Emperor of Outworld diplomatic accepting chains and asking permission and help to strike enemies on Earthrealm?

Shao Kahn would never do that, and I bet Onaga wouldn't. And Mileena is a fake, she deserves nothing of Outworld.

Besides the fact that Outworld is the "realm-eater" of the lore, with a diplomatic position, we can find more peace among the realms.

No konquerors! It's time for LEADERSHIP!

IN KOTAL WE TRUST!!!

8KXTA1Y.pngY

There should be one saying "I want you to defend the Outworld".

Of course it'll go wrong in the end. I doubt it'll end with peace and harmony, because without conflict, there's no reason to make a next Mortal Kombat game. So no matter if Kotal will be a rightous leader or what not, there will always go something wrong!

Of course it'll go wrong in the end. I doubt it'll end with peace and harmony, because without conflict, there's no reason to make a next Mortal Kombat game. So no matter if Kotal will be a rightous leader or what not, there will always go something wrong!

I agree. Things are going to end up in chaos but I don't think that it'll be his fault. If anything, I think he'll end up neutral, whooping guys and gals from both sides of alignment.