The Official "Why Reptile" thread

reikoiskahn

I did one of these for Reiko awhile back and you guys had some pretty interesting things to say about him, despite the fact that he has yet to be confirmed at all for the upcoming title. I've decided to do one for Reptile after viewing the trailer he was revealed in and reading some of your comments on the threads that followed. So, why don't you all let it be known here why or why not Reptile being in Mortal Kombat X is a good move? I'll start it off:

As the original secret character in the series, I feel that Reptile deserves to be a mainstay in the series, especially considering the fact that he's already been in a large number of games. While I dislike his Mortal Kombat 4 and Deadly Alliance looks, the ones that have followed are cool, in my opinion. Him being in future games allows for NRS to update his look and further make him standout from the rest of the ninjas. I think the mask is, by far, the most awesome looking out of any prior ninja masks. Furthermore, the fact that he is the sole surviving male of his race (to my knowledge, it has yet to be confirmed if Chameleon truly is a member of the Saurians), it gives him an important role in the series, as he could potentially link up with Khameleon and complete his goal of repopulating the Saurians. This, in turn, could lead to him having a descendant(s) in future games. Last but not least, Reptile has the unique element of acid on his side. Having anything unique to one character in Mortal Kombat is rare and says a lot about the character.

Because he is a popular character, despite not having much story or character development, basically being a doormat with green scales, and his design is still just "the green palette swap".

Fanatic loyalists also argue with him being "the original secret character" and all that.

He's basically why characters like Kano, Kung Lao and Kitana are in the game... Popularity.
But hopefully we will see some actual character development this time... It's a meager hope though.

Because he is a popular character, despite not having much story or character development, basically being a doormat with green scales, and his design is still just "the green palette swap".

Fanatic loyalists also argue with him being "the original secret character" and all that.

He's basically why characters like Kano, Kung Lao and Kitana are in the game... Popularity.
But hopefully we will see some actual character development this time... It's a meager hope though.

As one of those "fanatic loyalists," here's to us hoping!

The terrible thing is that Reptile seems to be a jobber all the time. It sucks, though, because his character has so much potential. It's like, "Damn, can he catch a break for once?" I know he was originally planned to be pushed as a bigger deal with the whole Onaga thing but nothing really ever came of it. I've stated numerous times that I want the Reptile-Khameleon relationship to be fleshed out. You know, though, I remember reading that D'Vorah's race has a similar history. It would be cool to see her feuding with Reptile. The Saurians were a matriarchal society so him going against a female seems like it would be unlikely but it also makes sense, especially in the case of Nitara. I'd like to see Reptile versus Chameleon, too, but I don't think Chameleon really has the fanbase for it. What about you?

Basically this.

But I'm personally happy about it, because he's one of the most unique MK characters and his gameplay is always great. He's gonna be a jobber in the story, but that's never gonna change.

His moveset is unique, yes... the rest isn't though.

I will admit the X-Ray looks like an updated version of his Mortal Kombat: 2011 one.

However, it is important to keep in mind we haven't seen his variations so we don't know how many new moves he has just yet. The tongue, though, is new and of course...that sick ass backflip being added after the dropkick. Damn, I'm going to spam that!

I am neither thrilled or angered by his reveal - strictly neutral. I have never played as Reptile, and I probably won't in MKX. I'm glad some members are pleased with his reveal though.

I too believe he was added because of his popularity. I hope they bring back all the male pallet-swap ninjas for MKX. I would love to see Smoke and Ermac revealed soon!

I am neither thrilled or angered by his reveal - strictly neutral. I have never played as Reptile, and I probably won't in MKX. I'm glad some members are pleased with his reveal though.

I too believe he was added because of his popularity. I hope they bring back all the male pallet-swap ninjas for MKX. I would love to see Smoke and Ermac revealed soon!

Give him a chance. You might end up being really good with him. ;-)

That's the thing... I've always liked Reptile's gameplay. It's everything else about him that's unimpressive, imo.

I think people are just put off by the fact that he keeps getting regulated to jobber status. I hate it, too, but I keep on hoping that he gets a bigger role. I think NRS will make this happen sooner or later. Until them, I'm going to continue rocking with Reptile.

I have a question for you, though, sir: Would you rather have Reptile or Chameleon?

From a fan's perspective, what with the uncertain future of characters plus what I have seen so far makes me happy. Although we've not seen enough new content yet, unlike say Quan Chi's reveal. I can understand therefore why some people are underwhelmed.

There's much more to see. All the variations, the end of that fatality and his other finishers.

I expected it. I'm not surprised he is in the game. Especially considering half the cast will be from MK9.

He looks just like his dang Alt in MK9...

(°=°)√√ _|__|_

My thought exactly.
NRS chose to play it safe, instead of giving him a unique and original look. That's what's disappoints me. :/
But oh well, there's always alts... hopefully one that looks alot better.

Yeah, hopefully. I'm not a big Reptile fan but this is just lazy. Everyone has drastic changes except for him.

His new design is amazing. I don't see how it looks "just like his MK9 alt". His mask is a million times better, and those bones all over his body are badass.

How are people praising Kitana's new look, but are calling Reptile's look lazy, and uninspired?

They both seemed to get an equal amount of changes IMO.

Last edited: