Kung Lao opinion polls

what the hell is the point in killing them and making such a huge emphasis on the deaths, the sacrifices and the story only to bring them back in the most pathetic way...
This is exactly my problem. It was obvious Kung Lao, Sub-Zero and Kitana should stay alive from the day one, they are always in top 10 by popularity (maybe Kung Lao not so much), so, when you write a story, why you kill them in the first place? There was enough characters who NRS could kill and majority of fans will not complain, for example if it was Stryker killed by Khan most fans will be totally ok with that, Wolf could sacrifice earlier and save Kitana, Sub-Zero could be saved instead of using him for 5 sec shock value. You just can't kill the most popular members of your cast and expect fans will not riot about it...and 4 years later when fans finally decided to move on to the new characters, NRS resurrect them "in the most pathetic way".

Looks like NRS did learn nothing from their 3D games.

People still don't understand the problem with his return. :laugh:

Unlike most others, it's not the stale story that Kung Lao had been given in previous games or the fact that a new character was not reveal (though, the second part is partial the problem). The main problem is that no matter what they do or how they do it, KL's inclusion in the story will be a guarenteed copout.
-Raiden rescued him (he could've rescued others)
-Elder Gods revived him as their champion (that's what Lui Kang is for)
-Scorpion is undead (scorpion didn't have the power of fire before death)
-Noob Saibot is dead (Bi Han didn't summon portals and clones before death)
-He beCame the GKL while under control (Then Quan Chi would also have the GKL's soul)
-He might still be under Quan Chi's spell (Everyone under Quan Chi's power has no pupils)
-A family member found a earth version of the hat and became Kung Lao (Sub-Zero has a better reason even before Ed's statement)
-Alternate Universes (if they pull this like that did in injustice, I'm gonna be very disappointed)

The point is that no matter what, his inclusion in the story will still be considered a copout. I'm sure people wanted Kung Lao for the gameplay, but that's what DLCS is for. He just takes up the space of another character that could've serve the purposes of the story (they could have any other white lotus members if the wanted to). It no longer matters now though, so to each its own

Looks like NRS did learn nothing from their 3D games.

Let's not judge them before we see their "exuse" for bringing back Kung Lao..

But still I also think that it was dumb to kill of both Sub-Zero brothers (3 times in 1 game wow).

1st - Original Sub-Zero killed by Scorpion
2nd - Noob Saibot killed by Nightwolf
3rd - Cyber Sub-Zero by Sindel.

And so they kill both Sub-Zeros 3 times in 1 game. But what about Scorpion? He got his ass kicked by Kuai Liang and.... Lin Kuei came. Seems legit.

Yes it was a mistake.. A horrible mistake.

But let's be patient! I think that MKX will be a hit.

Sent from my S3PRO using Tapatalk

That poll is stupid and let me tell you why.

1.) Disappointed could be taken as another answer for "hate it", but it can also mean they are disappointed with kung lao's return, OR disappointed that it wasn't a new character.(not necessarily Kung Lao hate)

2.) Now anyone can come back; that could be either people happy about kung lao's return cuz it gives their dead character a chance. OR they could be like unhappy, because more dead characters will probably fill the character slots.

3.) Excited and Love it are the same thing wtf.

Garbage thought out poll

A better poll would be something simple like

Feelings about Kung Lao's return?

a.) Good I like him
b.) Neutral, neither like or dislike.
c.) Don't like his return.

Simple, doesn't lead to a possibly miss interpretation of things like "being annoyed by kung lao himself, or the fact the reveal wasn't something NEW"

It's a question that SOLEY focuses on kung lao himself, and his return. not the timing of which he was presented, which was after a LONG drought of lack of information on the game. So people were thirsty for something new.

Last edited:
Maybe the Elder Gods considered khan's victory over kung lao something as "cheating" and revived him.

maybe Raiden made a deal with Quan chi that frees Kung Lao.

Maybe Netherrealm straight up gets dicked and loses the battle and ALL the souls they capture during the fight were free.

OR KHAN promised quan chi earthrealm souls, but Khan failed to ACTUALLY conquer earthrealm so Khan doesn't get any input on where the souls will be kept.

Many possibilities, but i promise the way it's done won't be anything DRAMATIC. You're gonna be hoping for too much, but his ROLE might hold importance, especially since Goro is still around, and who knows what's going down with the rest of the cast including Liu Kang.

Maybe they considered khan's victory over kung lao something as "cheating" and revived him.

Which is probably why Liu Kang's soul was allowed to walk among the living in the original timeline; because Shang Tsung cheated to beat Liu Kang (plus, it happened outside of a sanctioned tournament)...at least that's my theory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

your statement above is the problem, none of those make sense, none of those are good story telling plots....no matter how this is done it will be a pathetic "oh look sum 1 revived him fo da wins now pefikr legun can plae as him at evo coz tourny is best yayyy fank u boon we love umk3"

If Kung Lao's alive it just means somebody at NRS still has a huge boner for him and so they wrote a dopey resurrection into the plot.

Last edited:
If Kung Lao's alive it just means somebody at NRS still has a huge boner for him and so they wrote a dopey resurrection into the plot.

-------- OR --------

They just thought that playing with Kung Lao will be fun and unpredictable by the fans.

your statement above is the problem, none of those make sense, none of those are good story telling plots....no matter how this is done it will be a pathetic "oh look sum 1 revived him fo da wins now pefikr legun can plae as him at evo coz tourny is best yayyy fank u boon we love umk3"

Are you seriously arguing "what makes sense" in the universe of Mortal Kombat?

WHY WOULD THE LIN KUEI HELP OUTWORLD AGAINST EARTHREALM THEY LIVE THERE.

Why didn't Shao Khan just send all of his baddies the FIRST time they tried to take over earthrealm including himself? Especially after the only needed one more tournament win.

Why does reptile become more reptile when he's in Earthrealm?

Why are trees eating people?

Why does scorpion cut a hole into Hell, when he's already in Hell?

Why doesn't Ermac just pick people up and rip off their limbs as his first move EVERYTIME?

It's not the 1st time someone dead was brought back in the MK universe. and it won't be the last. So just keep getting disappointed I guess.

Something tells me if Kuai Lang WHO DIED, is Subzero no body would care. Same for Bi-han.

But "OHHH SUBZERO HAS TO BE THERE!!" He doesn't have to be bi-han or Kuai Lang.

They could've brought in a new young Kung Lao because Re-incarnation. But it wouldn't ACTUALLY be the same character. Cuz it would seem when you're reincarnated you don't remember you past life as if they were memories, so a NEW kung lao would/could have completely different motivations.

The problem is the context.

In a Netherrealm invasion, they are strong enough to be dealing souls.

If they are defeated, ok, but this must be in early stages of the game, since Kung Lao is not that old. He looks a guy on his 50's.

And that's what I've been saying about the roster. If Kung Lao is free and the reason is Netherrealm's defeat, then we may have everybody from MK9 back. That's not "new" at all. (note that I'm ot against them back, just their inclusion like nothing happened).

About Quan Chi's deal with Raiden (that does not need Netherrealm's defeat, on the contrary). I will ask again, if you were Raiden, would any of you bring back Kung Lao? I like him and etc., but to be honest, I would think a little better. And what the hell would happen for Quan Chi to deal with Raiden? Imagine if Sub-Zero is Bi-Han. Another loss for him. There must be something that Quan Chi would want so hard for this, and this thing is on his possession.

I just didn't want to open the game and see everybody back like nothing has happened. Ok, the story is an inovation for "a fighting game", but c'mon, it already makes part of Mortal Kombat, it has always been something strong. And the Konquest modes proves that.

Anyway, I feel more curious than disappointed. Unfortunately, we have a big lack of information, and all of this speculation is legit. Anything can happen.

But whatever happens...please NRS...make this return something legit :laugh:

About Quan Chi's deal with Raiden (that does not need Netherrealm's defeat, on the contrary). I will ask again, if you were Raiden, would any of you bring back Kung Lao? I like him and etc., but to be honest, I would think a little better. And what the hell would happen for Quan Chi to deal with Raiden? Imagine if Sub-Zero is Bi-Han. Another loss for him. There must be something that Quan Chi would want so hard for this, and this thing is on his possession.
If i was Raiden and i could choose anyone fighting on my side? I will go with corrupt free Sindel, she killed nearly all of them, since i want to win, i choose the winner.
I think Quan Chi will want to have Raiden's amulet, since it tells the possible future events.

BERAN : The game’s not just a simple “two guys facing off and fighting each other to result in a fatality” — there’s much more to it than that. Even back in the “old school” days, there were load screens that told a story and gave out endings – that’s the only method we had at the time. Now we’re emphasizing the epic, cinematic story — MK9 in 2011 had an elaborate story mode retelling the game’s history and it was well received — it was a two-hour movie within the game.!

The fact is, the story for any fighting game is just a marketing gimmick. Sure its cool for a few weeks, but then its the gameplay that will truly determines the lasting factor of the game. If the gameplay and characters are good, then they will be included into tournaments which in turn will increase the games longevity in the fighting genre.

I will struggle to find anyone who keeps interest in the story for longer than a month once the game is purchased.

More of a new game is exactly what NRS has said that MKX would be, with an new story and more new characters than any previous MK game.
Are you suggesting that characters like Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Raiden, Kano and Goro aren't recognizable?

In other words "If you don't want to see as many old characters or agree with my opinion, shut up and play something else."
If Ed Boon didn't say more new characters than any MK game, then I could see where more old characters would be expected.

We do not know the rest of the roster yet, so we cannot know if Ed stayed true to his words, but producers can change their mind last minute. Even if he did not stick to his word, the game itself is still vastly DIFFERENT compared to its competitors. MKX has changed drastically compared to MK9 and that is something Ed Boon stressed on the most.

In my opinion if MKX has more new characters than old, then it will completely ruin the game for me. It would feel like an "MK vs ??" type of game for me...

Last edited:
The point is that no matter what, his inclusion in the story will still be considered a copout. I'm sure people wanted Kung Lao for the gameplay, but that's what DLCS is for. He just takes up the space of another character that could've serve the purposes of the story (they could have any other white lotus members if the wanted to). It no longer matters now though, so to each its own

This X 1,000!!!
As it is, Sub-Zero being human is a cop-out, and this coming from a huge Sub-Zero fan, because NRS backed themselves into a corner with Cyber Sub-Zero being killed.
The same goes with Kung Lao.
No matter what, his story will be a cop-out, because the killed off a character that they shouldn't have killed off, so they will now find a way to retcon it.
I also don't care who shows up as DLC.
Hell, have all the dead characters and the Easter Bunny come back as DLC, but I was hoping that the main roster would consist of the characters who survived MK9 + the new characters, and how they go through the 25 years.

Last edited:
I just want to point out, that DLC would not have solved the problem of the demand of dead characters. It is the main roster that gives the game the main exposure, and the marketing team knows how to cater to the audience. I will say this again, story would rarely ever override demand or gameplay.

I totally forgot what was the thread for. My opinion for Kung Lao getting back is:
Well, I think that playing with him (which is the most important part) will be awesome. His role in the story.. I think that the "exuse" for returning back will be well invented.. But I guess I'll leave it to NRS.

The fact is, the story for any fighting game is just a marketing gimmick. Sure its cool for a few weeks, but then its the gameplay that will truly determines the lasting factor of the game. If the gameplay and characters are good, then they will be included into tournaments which in turn will increase the games longevity in the fighting genre.

I will struggle to find anyone who keeps interest in the story for longer than a month once the game is purchased.

Obviously that's not the case with MK9, as people are still discussing the story 3 years later.

We do not know the rest of the roster yet, so we cannot know if Ed stayed true to his words, but producers can change their mind last minute. Even if he did not stick to his word, the game itself is still vastly DIFFERENT compared to its competitors. MKX has changed drastically compared to MK9 and that is something Ed Boon stressed on the most.

In my opinion if MKX has more new characters than old, then it will completely ruin the game for me. It would feel like an "MK vs ??" type of game for me...

I'm the opposite.
If it has too many old characters then it feels like the same shit all over again.
Sometimes I'm glad that the Internet didn't influence Midways decisions, back in the day as they do today.
If that were the case, we'd still be stuck with the same MK3 characters, and others like Kenshi, Quan Chi, Reiko, Havik, Fujin and Tanya would have never seen the light of day.

I just want to point out, that DLC would not have solved the problem of the demand of dead characters. It is the main roster that gives the game the main exposure, and the marketing team knows how to cater to the audience. I will say this again, story would rarely ever override demand or gameplay.

DLC would have solved it just fine, given that Kenshi was the 2nd most downloaded character, with Freddy being top selling and Freddy was used plenty of times in Tournament pools at PAX and EVO.

Obviously that's not the case with MK9, as people are still discussing the story 3 years later.

People are discussing it in context with MKX since its part of the hype. I also like the story, but once I have read into it, discussed it for a little while, then I do not go back to it until the next installment.

I'm the opposite.
If it has too many old characters then it feels like the same shit all over again.
Sometimes I'm glad that the Internet didn't influence Midways decisions, back in the day as they do today.
If that were the case, we'd still be stuck with the same MK3 characters, and others like Kenshi, Quan Chi, Reiko, Havik, Fujin and Tanya would have never seen the light of day.

I am not saying new characters should not be introduced. Infact I want there to be plenty of new characters, but not taking up over half of the roster.

As for DLC. I am talking about the initial hype or revelation, that is what gets people talking the most... The DLC is an extra, which can work very well too. However those in marketing will go for the safer option, and so would I.