Kung Lao opinion polls

you saying subzero as human is a cop out deserves respect. You deserve props for that.

I definitely agree they will use a cop-out way to bring him back. But at the same time i don't see how that will "ruin" the story.

Thanks. I mean, for selfish reasons I wanted Sub-Zero to be human again, but I do recognize the cop-out.
He's a klassic character, and that's the form that the majority of fans prefer to see him in (human).
Otherwise, I would have had to accept Cyber Sub-Zero for MKX, if he had lived, but it would have been pretty ballzy on NRS part.
It's this same type of ballzy move that NRS seems to lack with Kung Lao, thus far.
Again, for all I know it could be a relative or even The Great Kung Lao.

The cop-out could ruin the story, given that MK9 Kung Lao coming back opens the doors for all of the dead characters coming back, which is a scenario that I wouldn't want to see happen.
I'm not saying that all dead will be back, but it opens that door, rather than NRS giving us more original characters like Ferra / Torr, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah.

I do agree that MKX Sub-Zero could be either Bi-Han or Kuai-Liang, but I won't go further into that, as there is a specific Sub-Zero thread for that.

Cant they make a cool South Asian/Indian character? What about Middle Eastern? Cant they make a British or East European character?

Why is there a need for a black character? There have been plenty of black characters in MKs history, but none of the ethnicity I mentioned. I am not saying we need those ethnic characters, but I was just trying to make a point. Tbh, MK have their own type of race, and none of us really know what race Jade is yet.
Like the Hollywood movies nowadays, you need a black guy, a chick and asian, if you have a gay, it's even better, because every race and people with non traditional sex orientation for some reason want to be represented everywhere. Why? I don't know.
I watched Rambo 2 couple of days ago, i saw dumb russians in there, i didn't assotiate them with me, so i was able to enjoy the movie...i can't really understand the problem black guys have with their movies representations, i just can't...i think if you think your race' movie representation is bad and gets angry about it, maybe this very representation is not that far from the truth...truth always make peoples angry.
About middle east characters...don't even start...we soon shall see how new Tekken character will be accepted in middle east and what it means for Namco and Harada...i hope they will be ok...

Anyway, Cyrax is black, i'am pretty sure he will be in the main roster, cause not only he survived, but he have enough material to make 3 variations...maybe Kai will make it in, but i'am not sure if MK fans will accept capoeira fighting style.

I still wonder why they changed Kung Lao's race, i thought Donnie Yen will be a great prototype for him, but now he looks more like Client Eastwood.

In regards to Kung Laos story, it could be very likely that he is still under Quan Chis control just like Sindel. To me that is not a retcon, but a valid and already accepted part of the story in MK9. For all we know, Kung Lao could just be one of the many minions of Quan Chi to feature in story mode. It has been said that some will not be themselves so we will have to wait and see

In regards to Kung Laos story, it could be very likely that he is still under Quan Chis control just like Sindel. To me that is not a retcon, but a valid and already accepted part of the story in MK9. For all we know, Kung Lao could just be one of the many minions of Quan Chi to feature in story mode. It has been said that some will not be themselves so we will have to wait and see

If that were the case, then this Kung Lao would be dead and he also wouldn't age (which is appearant in 1 of his variations).
Quan Chi doesn't control the living; he's a necromancer.
Quan Chi's MKX trailer specifically said that he has an army of EarthRealm revenants (aka dead bodies / animated ghosts), which this Kung Lao isn't.
I smell a cop-out.

This thread is ridiculous.
Seriously, it is.

I think my biggest problem is this simple truth:

KUNG LAO NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE THE REASON FOR ANY MORTAL KOMBAT GAME FAILURE.

It is just so stupid to say otherwise. Stupid and very much short sighted.

Let us try to analyze rationally (as hard as this task is) the Kung-Haters case:

1. Not enough new characters -
This is so much of a speculation, and it is unbased one. We already revealed 4 new characters. It was confirmed that about half the cast is new. The inclusion of Kung Lao IS NOT on the expanse of new character. It is on the expanse of a veteran.
And guess what, Post MK3? There are not many good ones. or popular or unique ones. Definitely when compared to one of the most of the popular characters in the reboot.

2. Kung Lao should not return because he is dead. And resurrections annihilate the story -
Ok, few things here.
I will challenge anyone which cklaims that the story of Mortal Kombat is something to be proud of. It has more story than most fighting games and I agree that the last installment had decent story mode. Tht being said, the entire story is not just steeped in fantasy. Resurrections, magic spells, souls of fighters coming back to battle are all recurring theme in the story. Scorpion story is one of resurrection, Shang Tsung, Sindel, Soul made Ermac... And those who claim that resurrections destroy the story, I guess you hate all of Mortal Kombat story then. There is not a single one which brought somehow someone from the dead. Seriously, all after MK2, the number and ways of resurrections has rocketed. Mortal Kombat, the successful reboot had some as well. Or is it just me which remembers Bi Han head being carried by Scorpion??? The same Scorpion which was killed years earlier??? Are those "Shit Stories"? Is their resurrection hurting the story? Is it "The first step towards Armageddon"???

Guys, we are talking "Mortal Kombat" here. This is the same game which treats death as casual and even humorous happenstance. Did you know that since day 1 of the franchise you can click some code and then perform certain move in the end of the battle. Flalities, Falitaties... Something like that. And after performing it, the winner kills the opponent? Usually in very determined way, like burning him to ashes or decapitation. And guess what, even after this was performed during the game, the same "dead" opponent would team up with a second one and both will come back for a rematch? And this is in the game since DAY 1. This is the game you claim should have Perma - Deaths? Have you been paying attention at all to what was in the game since the beginning???

3. "The first step towards Armageddon" -
This is just laughable. Really. More than anything, those claims sound like sort of PSTD. MK was really shitty not so long ago that every nitpick you dont like about the game sends you towards the memories. And it all seems so "Logical" as well. Yes, the problem with Armageddon was resurrections. Only thing wrong with it. And Kung Lao as well. We needed some Mokap clones. This was what Armageddon needed.
REALITY CHECK ladies and Gentlemen. MK Armageddon did have shit story, but shit story did not create the failure. It was the half assed gameplay. It was the non baked characters. It was the stupid idea of removing specific fatalities from the game. And even if you look at the story, the least you should worry about is resurrections. It wasnt even a retread like some of you keep saying. It was just bland as the color grey. "There is a pyramid. And now everyone are killing each other to reach the top" This is the premise of that turd. And you speak about resurrections? There are not even registered after this bland grey horse shit.

4. Kung Lao does not contribute to the story -
Than who does? really. You never even learned what the story was about and you claim that his inclusion does not advance the story you know next to nothing about. Here is a simple hypothesis which claims otherwise. Earth needs White Lotus people. This is one of the main factions so it should be in the story. Now, in the story, there were two white lotus members. Both are dead. One of the deaths was essential to the former game plot. It moved it. It was necvessary. It was probably the best part of it. So, even if ot will be reversed, I will not reverse it in the story all the way to the final act.
Kung Lao's death on the other hand was simple "shock value". Or just a way to show that Shao Khan is dangerous. He wasnt even in the game that much. If there is a character which should represent the white lotus and be its face at this new age, it is Kung Lao. Liu Kang is essentially what you fear "the series not moving forwared and removing iconic and important events from MK9". That is all you have. What? new character that nobody gives a rat's ass about? Or maybe your best idea is Kai? Let me tellyou something about Kai.
Nobody cares. Very few even remember.The casuals which bring the money want the guy with the hat, not the unknown from the 3d game which introduced Jarek. (And then brought Kung Lao in for sales...)

5. It should be Great Kung Lao from the past -
This is the most laughable. Really. You want to undo one of the most iconic deaths in the MK story. The most important one actually. In order to keep unnecessary death for shock value in the middle of the previous entry? You probably thing that bringing Uncle Ben back for Spiderman and both of Bruce Wayne parents is a great idea as well. If these are your ideas, you should never complain about stories. Ever.

The characters which died in the last entry are the less popular ones
You know, I am huge fan of both Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade, so I look at fan reaction to them all the timr. Those are definitely not the most popular in the franchise. Hell, Kitana is more popular than Sonya and Sub Zero (any of the brothers) just steamrolls above anyone who isnt Scorpion in popularity. How many times was Sub Zero Killed last story? I think 3 times.
In one game.

That is some anti zero sentiment right there.

To Conclude
Look, I am not sure where many of you are coming from. How many come from pure hate or disappointment. How many hate Kung Lao, wanted someone else to be revealed or try to make the game look bad no matter what. Maybe you do really belive what you say. If that is the case, just try to be more objective about this. Look at the whole picture, not at the nuggets you are dissapointed from. I thing that more that this negativity will affect anyone, it will mostly make you feel bad even if the game is enjoyable.

Relax and let the dev continue. I am sure that you will find a lot new and refreshing and interesting in the game. Yes, it was not revealed yet. But that makes the anticipation more exciting isnt it?

Salute.

This thread is ridiculous.
Seriously, it is.

I think my biggest problem is this simple truth:

KUNG LAO NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE THE REASON FOR ANY MORTAL KOMBAT GAME FAILURE.

But he may be the trigger. And if he will be... you can go eat that hat you so defend.

BTW - Welcome to the abyss, ahem, forums.

If that were the case, then this Kung Lao would be dead and he also wouldn't age (which is appearant in 1 of his variations).
Quan Chi's MKX trailer specifically said that he has an army of EarthRealm revenants (aka dead bodies / animated ghosts), which this Kung Lao isn't.
I smell a cop-out.

I always believe that Kung Lao and the others will be free out of Quan Chi's control and will return back to normal after Quan Chi and Shinnok are defeated in the story. Much like how Ermac and Liu Kang's ghost were able to help free Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, Kung Lao and Kitana. It could explain why Kung Lao looks so old since his role in the story happens like 20 years after he was free from Quan Chi.

I smell a cop-out.

99% of reasons for bringing back dead characters in all the past games were a cop out. Sub Zero and Scorpions whole concept is one big cop out. MK9's entire story was the biggest cop out in MK history (Raiden Amulet) --- BUT it was the cause of the best MK game ever made. The point is as said many times, story is never the priority.

I always believe that Kung Lao and the others will be free out of Quan Chi's control and will return back to normal after Quan Chi and Shinnok are defeated in the story. Much like how Ermac and Liu Kang's ghost were able to help free Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, Kung Lao and Kitana. It could explain why Kung Lao looks so old since his role in the story happens like 20 years after he was free from Quan Chi.

The only way I see it working is IF Quan Chi and Shinnok die shortly after MK9, as I think you're suggesting.
That's the only explanation for Kung Lao aging.

99% of reasons for bringing back dead characters in all the past games were a cop out. Sub Zero and Scorpions whole concept is one big cop out. MK9's entire story was the biggest cop out in MK history (Raiden Amulet) --- BUT it was the cause of the best MK game ever made. The point is as said many times, story is never the priority.

You're referring to Armageddon as the best MK game?
The game with half-assed characters, Kreate-A-Kharacter, Kreate-A-Fatality and 2-legged Motaro?
The only reason that MK9's story was a cop-out was because they thought that Armageddon was the last stand-alone MK title, due to financial issues at Midway.
Midway wrote the Armageddon story with the intention of not ever doing another MK, hence the name "Armageddon," as in the end.
The ONLY way that NetherRealm could continue from the shitty Armageddon was to do a complete reboot and retcon the Armageddon ending, as very few people would have wanted an MK game staring Taven with all the characters being dead.
Going back in time and creating an alternate timeline was the only way to do that.

I don´t agree with bring back to kung lao, but maybe it´s a flashback into a kombat mode from story mode, cause is not the same 3d model or 3d actor. Lao ´s design is pathetic, boon likes so much troll every character and piss off everything on mk, because him "only" programmed the first original game and he has not invented mk ´s story, concept, ideas, designs, include finishers.
MK was never his idea why? because mk is the invention of Jhon Tobias.

Finally, i say: "NRS, you're running out of ideas",

and disgusts me people who are unconditional in this topic except Vetal Fox, cause they are defending a character by gamplays reasons when the gameplay is not all in the life.

I invite to Tarktan trash, commander, bbblp, do not reply my post and avoid stupid agresive replies.

Bye.

Last edited:
I don´t agree with bring back to kung lao, but maybe it´s a flashback into a kombat mode from story mode, cause is not the same 3d model or 3d actor. Lao ´s design is pathetic, boon likes so much troll every character and piss off everything on mk, because him "only" programmed the first original game and he has not invented mk ´s story, concept, ideas, designs, include finishers.
MK was never his idea why? because mk is the invention of Jhon Tobias.

Finally, i say: "NRS, you're running out of ideas",

and disgusts me people who are unconditional in this topic except Vetal Fox, cause they are defending a character by gamplays reasons when the gameplay is not all in the life.

I invite to Tarktan trash, commander, bbblp, do not reply my post and avoid stupid agresive replies.

Bye.

I don't know if it was entirely relevant to your post, but somebody give this person a reward. :hail:

That actually made my day. If this is just The Great Kung Lao (or even the current one) as a flashback character, that is the best way to have this Kung Lao become relevant to the Story of MK without his inclusion being a copout. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if that becomes the case.

The characters which died in the last entry are the less popular ones
You know, I am huge fan of both Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade, so I look at fan reaction to them all the timr. Those are definitely not the most popular in the franchise. Hell, Kitana is more popular than Sonya and Sub Zero (any of the brothers) just steamrolls above anyone who isnt Scorpion in popularity. How many times was Sub Zero Killed last story? I think 3 times.
In one game.

That is some anti zero sentiment right there.

This part of your rant pretty much negates your whole reply.
If you think that Kitana is more popular that Sub-Zero, then you are smoking some serious shit. :laugh:
In no world is Kitana ever more popular that Sub-zero.
Sub-Zero and Scorpion are the Ken and Ryu of MK.
Sonya & Johnny are the surviving heroes of MK9 and Ed Boon, Steve Beran and German GamePro have all but confirmed those 2 as playable in MKX.

As for Sub-Zero getting killed 3 times in 1 game, the answer for that is simple; Ed Boon hates Sub-Zero.
It's evident in the fact that Scorpion kills him in the bookends, kicks his ass in the main menu of MK9 and kicks Sub-Zero's ass in his Injustice intro.
As long as Ed Boon has a say so in the matter, Scorpion will always defeat Sub-Zero, but it's split just about 50/50 when it comes to Scorpion and Sub-Zero popularity among the hardcore fans and casuals, alike.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was entirely relevant to your post, but somebody give this person a reward. :hail:

That actually made my day. If this is just The Great Kung Lao (or even the current one) as a flashback character, that is the best way to have this Kung Lao become relevant to the Story of MK without his inclusion being a copout. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if that becomes the case.

Yes or can be the first master of great kung lao were teaches edge hat ´s techniques, but I am not optimistic.
Knowing all the garbage from ed boon ´s decisions, is very unlikely to happen.

Also, sorry if i sound negative, but if they did ´nt builded a decent boss since mk4, less they will have not more ideas with success for the normal chars, except characters that had success in ps2/xbox/wii era.

Last edited:
I don't have a big problem with Kung coming back. He was
always one of my fave charaktes. Well, as a child i was kinda
scared of his MK3 versus picture. lol.

The only thing that bothers me: He was killed in MK9. I know
this "death doesn't matter" stuff already, but if something like
killing someone has no real impact, something is amiss.

I don't really care if "Pro" or Tournament player want him in, all
i care is solid Gameplay, interesting charakters, and most importantly,
a nice story with some common sense, twists and turns.

That said, all i want is a good explanation to why he is coming back.
Someone in here already mentioned he became the new Champion of
Earthrealm... Thats a nice idea, but you shouldn't go around resurrecting
people and declare them Champions, if you know what im saying. :alberteinstein:

If you think that Kitana is more popular that Sub-Zero, then you are smoking some serious shit. :laugh:
Sonya & Johnny are the surviving heroes of MK9 and Ed Boon, Steve Beran and German GamePro have all but confirmed those 2 as playable in MKX.

As for Sub-Zero getting killed 3 times in 1 game, the answer for that is simple; Ed Boon hates Sub-Zero.
It's evident in the fact that Scorpion kills him in the bookends, kicks his ass in the main menu of MK9 and kicks Sub-Zero's ass in his Injustice intro.
As long as Ed Boon has a say so in the matter, Scorpion will always defeat Sub-Zero, but it's split just about 50/50 when it comes to Scorpion and Sub-Zero popularity among the hardcore fans and casuals, alike.

You misunderstood me. I never said that Kitana is more popular than Sub Zero. I did say that Kitana is more popular than sonya. And also sub zero is more popular than anyone bar scorpion. This I used as a proof to negate the argument that the least popular characters are those who did not survive the reboot of MK

You misunderstood me. I never said that Kitana is more popular than Sub Zero. I did say that Kitana is more popular than sonya. And also sub zero is more popular than anyone bar scorpion. This I used as a proof to negate the argument that the least popular characters are those who did not survive the reboot of MK

This sounds like you said that Kitana is more popular than Sub-Zero:

Hell, Kitana is more popular than Sonya and Sub Zero (any of the brothers) just steamrolls above anyone who isnt Scorpion in popularity.
Since there were no commas between the "Sonya and Sub-Zero" part of your post, it sounded like you lumped them in together.

25 years is a long time, a lot of thing could've happened in 25 years.

Perhaps, somewhere within the 25 year span between MK9 and MKX, Quan Chi got what was coming to him and the fallen heroes were freed from his control/revived, hence Kung Lao is back and he doesn't even look remotely undead.

The comics will likely shed some light on this situation.

Yeah. Totally agreed. And Boon even knows that it wasn't Sub-Zero, but it was Quan Chi who killed his family and clan but he keeps killing him. Ed hates Sub.

Sent from my S3PRO using Tapatalk