Kung Lao opinion polls

So far every reveal after E3 has been disappointing for me. It got boring to me, because I don't want to keep seeing the changes I've played for the last 4 years, I want see to either new or the post UMK3 characters and see how they've been handled for this new timeline (specifically Shinnok). Not that they shouldn't be in the game, but come on. Let's see some MK4 and beyond characters brought to the current gen, because the last time we saw them (playable) was MK Armageddon and there a quite a few things I don't want to remember about that game haha.

As for Kung Lao, I feel his reveal shouldn't have happened. It would have been better if you found out he was in the game while playing through the story (in the same vain as cyber sub-zero).

I'm not going to answer for [MENTION=18222]ellechbura[/MENTION], maybe he sees it differently, but I will put it this way...

There are characters in MK I don't like, I do like and there are those I don't care about - for example Kung Lao. Even if I hated him, that's not the reason why I am against him being in MKX. For me it has nothing to do about liking/hating a character itself. For me, at this point, it's mainly about how can the character contribute to the progression of the story - or eventually how can the character be improved and given another chance - Kung Lao had more than enough.

Yes, we currently don't know how he came back, but...

Including Kung Lao in MKX, considering he died in MK9, opens up the possibility to bringing back more dead characters and ultimately phucking up the current/MK9 story-line by $hitting on it and pushing the reset button.

MK9 did something brave and mature that was somewhat needed - killed off half of the roster; the less popular/important/interesting part of it that is. It was done in order to progress the series and its story forward. To open doors to new things.

By revealing Kung Lao NRS is suggesting they have changed their mind about the story, they might bring back more dead characters, they might ignore/retcon MK9's story and ultimately waste the "fresh blood" potential MKX has. It's also a signal they aren't willing to let go of the past and in some way I think it's true - especially with Ed being stuck in the '90s. On one hand it's understandable, but on the other it's dumb and missed opportunity.

I think what most of us who are upset about the Kung Lao reveal are trying to get at, ultimately, is the concern and possibility that MKX could sacrifice its chance of the series finally moving forward, especially after a great reboot, in favor of nostalgia and sales and that it could ultimately (if this direction will continue and prove to be true both in-game and out-game in the form of marketing) pave the way for another Armageddon. And we are just super cautious and skeptic, because we really love the series and its story more than anything and any sign of a potential disaster is heart-breaking after all these years.

At least that's how I see it and would straightforward express it.

So, I'm sorry if I sounded off really nuts with the first post, but hopefully you now better understand. I just don't want MK to end on a bad note and eventually die. Especially with the chance of MKX being (one of) the last canon MK games.

^^^ this!

when i completed mk9, the story mode, I watched the ending totally enthralled, going WOW how the hell are they gunna follow this up! With so many dead, and hardly any one left, it created endless possibilities...They made such a point, and emphasis on the deaths...That when I see Kl turn up...All I can think is that they raped that idea...I have waited 4 years for a new mk to begin fresh after the reboot to clean it up....4 years, I waited for years for some thing invigorating and fresh, like boon an co had been promising....I didnt wait for years to have mk gold on my next gen system with the same shitty characters that have been around 20 years!! I wanted NEW as boon promised.... The staple characters are there, Kl and the rest had their time in mk9 its time to move on!!!

Agreed with [MENTION=17921]Mr. Ice[/MENTION].
You summed up perfectly what I was trying to get at.

You're welcome guys! I feel now better myself :) Wish Ed read this and gave it thought. Hopefully the story won't have holes as big as cheese.

BTW, if you look at the new stage... it has a machine guy on the ceiling like that one stage from Injustice. I hope they aren't just copy/pasting stuff and taking this more seriously. The stages so far have been OK, but I have yet to see a stage that would totally blow my mind.

Also, having 2-4 returning stages wouldn't hurt. My guess is 12 stages total. We already have 5 with 7 left, so... better show something familiar if you're showing all these returning characters I think.

EDIT: HOLY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$HIT! I just realized... WHAT IF THE NEW MAP BELONGS TO JAX?????!!

You're welcome guys! I feel now better myself :) Wish Ed read this and gave it thought. Hopefully the story won't have holes as big as cheese.

BTW, if you look at the new stage... it has a machine guy on the ceiling like that one stage from Injustice. I hope they aren't just copy/pasting stuff and taking this more seriously. The stages so far have been OK, but I have yet to see a stage that would totally blow my mind.

Also, having 2-4 returning stages wouldn't hurt. My guess is 12 stages total. We already have 5 with 7 left, so... better show something familiar if you're showing all these returning characters I think.

EDIT: HOLY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$HIT! I just realized... WHAT IF THE NEW MAP BELONGS TO JAX?????!!

jax...eeewww nah cassie, is SF, so is sonya....

that is very disturbing, cant they make a cool black character to cater to the apparent need for one? Forest fox, despite the stupid name already seems miles more interesting.

this new game is going to be very hit or miss with me, if they go back on all they had promised, I might give it a miss...4 long years for trilogy mark2 with a few new guys....uuggh.....

ps im not trying to win anything, i just post, hhahha i dont know why ya'll get so butthurt coz i dont suck the NRS dick about everything they do, and question their logic....

^^^ this!

when i completed mk9, the story mode, I watched the ending totally enthralled, going WOW how the hell are they gunna follow this up! With so many dead, and hardly any one left, it created endless possibilities...They made such a point, and emphasis on the deaths...That when I see Kl turn up...All I can think is that they raped that idea...I have waited 4 years for a new mk to begin fresh after the reboot to clean it up....4 years, I waited for years for some thing invigorating and fresh, like boon an co had been promising....I didnt wait for years to have mk gold on my next gen system with the same shitty characters that have been around 20 years!! I wanted NEW as boon promised.... The staple characters are there, Kl and the rest had their time in mk9 its time to move on!!!
C'mon! Really? Will you keep complaining all the time about the same? I don't understand how you only listened to the interviews which were talking about the new chars and that, while, since the beginning existed another ones which were saying things like: death doesn't matter or, we will have returning chars....
You've imagined 'your dream game' on your mind with what you've decided was correct on the interviews, but that doesn't mean nrs has fooled you...so stop b@tching around.... I hate kano and raiden with my soul, however when they were revealed i just spoke about how a waste they were, but that's it... i didn't started a riot, polls and topics in order to force nrs eliminating them, or even affirming the game is bs and I'm not buying it anymore....
If there is a reason for doing so, it's the world's worst promo system they have, because that is a clear lack of respect for we the consumers....they don't care if we have nothing for 2 months and start killing each other.... but, however, no-one will take the immature choices you've been making...
I hope you stop this senseless debate, kung Lao is in, and that's it....

More than that, let count MK2 and UMK3 newcomers (playable only, cause we talk the playable roster right now):
MK2 introduced: Kung Lao, Reptile, Shang Tsung, Jax, Kitana, Baraka, Mileena - 7 new playable characters, total roster is 12

UMK3 introduced: Sindel, Stryker, Smoke, Human Smoke, Cyrax, Sektor, Sheeva, Nightwolf, Kabal, Jade, Ermac - 11 new playable characters, total roster is 23

And then:
MK4 introduced: Kai, Jarek, Fujin, Reiko, Tanya, Quan Chi, Shinnok - 7 new characters, with 15 total

MKDA: Bo Rai Cho, Kenshi, Li Mei, Mavado, Nitara, Drahmin, Frost, Mokap, Blaze - 9 new, 23 total

MKD: Havik, Hotaru, Noob-Smoke, Shujinko, Ashrah, Dairou, Darrius, Kobra, Kira - 9 new, 24 total

See the pattern? Nearly half of the roster was always newcomers for a new game, did they felt like crossovers? I don't think so.

In all fairness, the first 3 games had to introduce new characters, for the simple fact their roster size in the initial games were far too small. I am happy with 35-40% new characters.

that is very disturbing, cant they make a cool black character to cater to the apparent need for one? Forest fox, despite the stupid name already seems miles more interesting.

Cant they make a cool South Asian/Indian character? What about Middle Eastern? Cant they make a British or East European character?

Why is there a need for a black character? There have been plenty of black characters in MKs history, but none of the ethnicity I mentioned. I am not saying we need those ethnic characters, but I was just trying to make a point. Tbh, MK have their own type of race, and none of us really know what race Jade is yet.

The problem is the context.

In a Netherrealm invasion, they are strong enough to be dealing souls.

If they are defeated, ok, but this must be in early stages of the game, since Kung Lao is not that old. He looks a guy on his 50's.

And that's what I've been saying about the roster. If Kung Lao is free and the reason is Netherrealm's defeat, then we may have everybody from MK9 back. That's not "new" at all. (note that I'm ot against them back, just their inclusion like nothing happened).

About Quan Chi's deal with Raiden (that does not need Netherrealm's defeat, on the contrary). I will ask again, if you were Raiden, would any of you bring back Kung Lao? I like him and etc., but to be honest, I would think a little better. And what the hell would happen for Quan Chi to deal with Raiden? Imagine if Sub-Zero is Bi-Han. Another loss for him. There must be something that Quan Chi would want so hard for this, and this thing is on his possession.

I just didn't want to open the game and see everybody back like nothing has happened. Ok, the story is an inovation for "a fighting game", but c'mon, it already makes part of Mortal Kombat, it has always been something strong. And the Konquest modes proves that.

Anyway, I feel more curious than disappointed. Unfortunately, we have a big lack of information, and all of this speculation is legit. Anything can happen.

But whatever happens...please NRS...make this return something legit :laugh:

who said everyone will be back? They already claimed half the roster would be new people. i'd say a good chunk is DEFINITELY getting cut.

This X 1,000!!!
As it is, Sub-Zero being human is a cop-out, and this coming from a huge Sub-Zero fan, because NRS backed themselves into a corner with Cyber Sub-Zero being killed.
The same goes with Kung Lao.
No matter what, his story will be a cop-out, because the killed off a character that they shouldn't have killed off, so they will now find a way to retcon it.
I also don't care who shows up as DLC.
Hell, have all the dead characters and the Easter Bunny come back as DLC, but I was hoping that the main roster would consist of the characters who survived MK9 + the new characters, and how they go through the 25 years.

you saying subzero as human is a cop out deserves respect. You deserve props for that.

I definitely agree they will use a cop-out way to bring him back. But at the same time i don't see how that will "ruin" the story.

Last edited:
Again, the same as with Kuai Liang and Bi-Han. This will cause the fans to get upset. And in general third Sub-Zero would not be a good idea.

Sent from my S3PRO using Tapatalk

No more discussions on who or who not has a alternate account. We are looking in to the matter.

A reminder that all you need to do is report anything you feel breaks the rules. Any further off topic discussions will led to some undesirable consequences, not limited to just the locking of this thread.

Thank you, carry on.