Another rant from The_Pathfinder regarding MKX (ignore me, I may offend you)

the_pathfinder

If Ed Boon wanted so bad to start the series over from scratch with new characters, new story, pander to the EVO crowd etc. etc. then why not just make an entirely new franchise?

The whole "freshen everything up" approach sure as hell didn't fly with Street Fighter's fans back in 1997, remember the riots that broke out in the arcades in Japan the day SF3 was released? We likely won't see riots at Gamestop, but there will be A LOT of angry fans when, after all the waiting (4 F#$%ing Years!) and all the secrecy (Announced back in spring, we still lack information), we get MKX- a game where many of your favorite characters have been replaced with a blatant Master-Blaster rip off, flat-chested Nina Williams clone, half-bug lady, and an Aztec in a Mini-Skirt. MK9 left us with a cliff hanger ending with the fates of many of the series' icons fates hanging in the balance, we have diligently waited for 4 long years while Mr. Boon fanboyed over DC and it's trite, tired, sorry excuse for storytelling.

I am absolutely NOT impressed with all the "New Blood" that has been revealed so far, to me they seem wildly out of place alongside Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kano, Quan Chi etc. so much to the extent that it looks like a freakin' cartoon featuring MK characters as guest stars.

And about EVO's supposed influence on MKX? The alarm bells are really ringing on this one. Why is NRS pandering so much to EVO? Yeah, they played MK9 but they also play Killer Instinct, they play Blaz Blue, they play Street Fighter 4, they play Injustice, they play Tekken, they play DOA, they play KOF and these are all the same people playing all these games. If I recall, one of these "EVO Champions" even let it spill, on TYM last year, that he doesn't even like MK, he hated the story, he hated the characters and he only plays it to master the characters so he can win bookoos of MONEY at all the events, why is Ed Boon trying so hard to pander to a small group of people who play MK, who aren't necessarily fans of the series?

Netherrealm needs to get it's priorities straight before they kill the series so soon after bringing it back to life.

Seriously this wasn't worth making a thread over you could have posted this comment in the general discussion thread or something.

For the record, so far... MKX has the best new characters to be introduced into the series for years.
The 3D era was nothing but disappointment after disappointment.
What a joke.

Last edited:
Sorry, I think its great...The fan Favorites are there...

I for one dont give a flying fvck if I never see the cast that died in mk9, the series needs to grow, they cannot pander to the nostalgia freaks an release re-skinned versions of mk3 for ever.... I am more then happy they are injecting ne blood.

For the record, so far... MKX has the best new characters to be introduced into the series for years.
The 3D era was nothing but disappointment after disappointment.
What a joke.

I agree with this part..
Thank you.
The 3D era had maybe 6 characters out of 30 characters that I actually gave a flying shit about (Quan Chi, Fujin, Reiko, Tayna, Havik and Kenshi).
6 out of 30 characters that I actually liked is a terrible statistic number (IMO), especially when you consider that it was over a 9-year time period (MK4 in 1997 thru MK:A in 2006).
So far, MKX has 4 new characters that actually look good and that I actually care about.

Sorry, I think its great...The fan Favorites are there...

I for one dont give a flying fvck if I never see the cast that died in mk9, the series needs to grow, they cannot pander to the nostalgia freaks an release re-skinned versions of mk3 for ever.... I am more then happy they are injecting ne blood.

Agreed. The rest of Original 7 seems likely to be in, anyways.
I also don't mind if the rest of the cast that died in MK9 sits out a few games, to give the rest of the new characters on the roster time to shine.
MK9 was the nostalgia game.
So, if I want to play that I'll fire up the PS3.
I'm happy to see characters like Ferra / Torr, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah, as well.
I can't imagine any of the more popular post-MK3 characters being half as popular, if we had the same close-minded people today back then.

I agree with this part..
Thank you.
The 3D era had maybe 6 characters out of 30 characters that I actually gave a flying shit about (Quan Chi, Fujin, Reiko, Tayna, Havik and Kenshi).
6 out of 30 characters that I actually liked is a terrible statistic number (IMO), especially when you consider that it was over a 9-year time period (MK4 in 1997 thru MK:A in 2006).
So far, MKX has 4 new characters that actually look good and that I actually care about.

Agreed. The rest of Original 7 seems likely to be in, anyways.
I also don't mind if the rest of the cast that died in MK9 sits out a few games, to give the rest of the new characters on the roster time to shine.
MK9 was the nostalgia game.
So, if I want to play that I'll fire up the PS3.
I'm happy to see characters like Ferra / Torr, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah, as well.
I can't imagine any of the more popular post-MK3 characters being half as popular, if we had the same close-minded people today back then.

Stop agreeing with ellechbura. He's evading a ban.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

You want classics? Go play MK 1 2 3 and 9 and then see how bad it is not to progress. We haven't got any GOOD new characters since 2004. Basically ten years.

The new blood seems to be more promising than some MK4-7 characters.

Bad new characters? Okay, the ones we have seen so far seem better than some of the MK3 cast, there might be some bad characters, but every franchise has them.

So far, I have only seen you complain about the new blood. Care to justify how Stryker, Sheeva, and some other horrible characters are better than the new kast?

In my opinion, all MK characters are good, I only take issue with Taven and Daegon.

I bet if the new characters were in MK1-3 you wouldn't be complaining.

/rant

Stop agreeing with ellechbura. He's evading a ban.

I agree with what ever post I feel has the same sentiment that I wish to express.

Whether he is evading a ban for something else he said or in another post, that's none of my concern.
If what he posted somewhere else is against the forums rules, then report the other post, and go on with your day.
Let the mods deal with it.

You want classics? Go play MK 1 2 3 and 9 and then see how bad it is not to progress. We haven't got any GOOD new characters since 2004. Basically ten years.

The new blood seems to be more promising than some MK4-7 characters.

Bad new characters? Okay, the ones we have seen so far seem better than some of the MK3 cast, there might be some bad characters, but every franchise has them.

So far, I have only seen you complain about the new blood. Care to justify how Stryker, Sheeva, and some other horrible characters are better than the new kast?

This.
Thank you.
I'm a HUGE fan of the old games, but at the same time, I don't want to see the same repeated shit, game after game.

Agreed. Kotal, D'Vorah and Ferra / Torr look better than 90% of the post-MK3 kast of garbage.

I also don't expect all of the new MKX characters to be liked by everyone, but I agree with you that we should at least give these new characters a chance.

Agreed, again.
I'll take D'Vorah, Ferra / Torr and Kotal Kahn appearing in every MK game from here on out, over crap like Stryker, Sheeva and Jax.
Those 3 (Sheeva, Stryker and Jax), IMO, are just....... :barf:

I bet if the new characters were in MK1-3 you wouldn't be complaining.

/rant

You know, I wonder about that sometimes.
Back then, people accepted characters like Cyrax, Sektor, Sheeva Stryker, Ermac, Jade, Mileena, Kitana, Baraka and Kung Lao in MKII, MK3 and UMK3, and I wonder how many of the same people who accepted those NEW characters in their respective debuts of those Mortal Kombat sequels back then are b****ing now because there are NEW characters, yet again in MKX.

Last edited:
It's people like you The_Pathfinder that why Mortal Kombat almost went the way of the Dinosaurs. Your failure to accept change and being stuck in the past did nothing more than hurt this franchise and made other gaming communities blast us for being too primitive. Granted the franchise needs to few iconic characters in their games (Hence Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden are in MX) but there has to be fresh blood as well. If you aren't happy with the changes, than leave and stop spoiling the mood for others who want to see new characters.

I'm tired of people who do more than nothing than piss and moan about a certain game (Call of Duty community is prime example of that. Thank You 402Thunder402 and F1stDaCuffs) because they can't accept change and blame the developers for everything. Not only that They create BS conspiracy theories about how developers are "destroying" the franchise.

As for your assessment on new blood. I don't care if fans don't like any of them and hope that NRS either keeps making news one or the keep the currents one for a few games. This franchise has needed a fresh coat paint for a long time.

It's people like you The_Pathfinder that why Mortal Kombat almost went the way of the Dinosaurs. Your failure to accept change and being stuck in the past did nothing more than hurt this franchise and made other gaming communities blast us for being too primitive. Granted the franchise needs to few iconic characters in their games (Hence Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden are in MX) but there has to be fresh blood as well. If you aren't happy with the changes, than leave and stop spoiling the mood for others who want to see new characters.

I'm tired of people who do more than nothing than piss and moan about a certain game (Call of Duty community is prime example of that. Thank You 402Thunder402 and F1stDaCuffs) because they can't accept change and blame the developers for everything. Not only that They create BS conspiracy theories about how developers are "destroying" the franchise.

As for your assessment on new blood. I don't care if fans don't like any of them and hope that NRS either keeps making news one or the keep the currents one for a few games. This franchise has needed a fresh coat paint for a long time.
Do you want a roster repeat of SF3 or not? Certain versions of change are BAD under ALL circumstances, and the removal of popular characters is one of them. There are even people here who wanted Scorpion, the Block Button, and Fatalities removed from MK. If you preach to us about being "open to change," then I must ask, does that include the removal of Scorpion, the Block Button, and/or Fatalities, three features that MADE Mortal Kombat what it is? Once you remove features that define a product, that product ceases to exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Do you want a roster repeat of SF3 or not? Certain versions of change are BAD under ALL circumstances, and the removal of popular characters is one of them. There are even people here who wanted Scorpion, the Block Button, and Fatalities removed from MK. If you preach to us about being "open to change," then I must ask, does that include the removal of Scorpion, the Block Button, and/or Fatalities, three features that MADE Mortal Kombat what it is? Once you remove features that define a product, that product ceases to exist.

Granted, but you can still have a Mortal Kombat game with Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, the block button and Fatalities, with the rest of the roster being new and it would matter as much, because the 4-must haves would be in.
There are some things that are must-haves for MK (like the 4 characters and 2 features that I mentioned), while there are other things (like the returning roster & new characters) that can be changed around.
That's the point.

Everyone is ranting about characters being in or not, but we don't even know who has made the cut yet. It's honestly quite pointless.

Fatalities are always going to be in MK. It's their thing. Sure, NRS will probably run out of ideas, but that's their problem to deal with. Every MK game that I have played caters to people who like the whole nostalgia thing and to people who like change. if your favorite character doesn't make the cut in MKX I am pretty sure you're going to check the game out because you're still a fan.

Do you ugys think MKX is going to finish off the mk9 survivors ?

A few maybe, but then again I don't think ______________ character will stay dead forever in MK because no one stays dead forever in MK.
I do think that some of the dead from MK9 and / or MKX may skip a game or 2, to allow the new characters to shine.
Maybe 1 or 2 dead MK9 characters will be DLC.

In all honesty, the dead MK9 characters sound more like a back-up plan, to me.
If no one likes the new MKX characters, then they can always do some BS "Quan Chi gets killed" story, and the dead MK9 characters get set free and are playable in MK11.
It's a win-win situation, IMO.

And about EVO's supposed influence on MKX? The alarm bells are really ringing on this one. Why is NRS pandering so much to EVO? Yeah, they played MK9 but they also play Killer Instinct, they play Blaz Blue, they play Street Fighter 4, they play Injustice, they play Tekken, they play DOA, they play KOF and these are all the same people playing all these games. If I recall, one of these "EVO Champions" even let it spill, on TYM last year, that he doesn't even like MK, he hated the story, he hated the characters and he only plays it to master the characters so he can win bookoos of MONEY at all the events, why is Ed Boon trying so hard to pander to a small group of people who play MK, who aren't necessarily fans of the series?

Because the competitive scene is what keeps Mortal Kombat alive after all the casuals are finished with the story mode. We're the ones who keep the game relevant years after it's release because we appreciate the small things that casuals don't notice. NRS gets huge promotion from their game being at huge tournaments, the players get a chance at winning big money and the casuals get a game that is strenuously playtested for balance by hardcore players.

It's a win win.

As for your complains about the new characters, the majority of feedback has been wildly positive. So if you feel like abandoning ship, then by all means go ahead. Like dude above said, it's fans like you want the same stale shit over and over. Go play MK9 and let the rest of us enjoy the NEW Mortal Kombat game we've all been waiting for.

The characters I liked from MK4 and up were: Fujin, Meat, Quan Chi, Reiko, Shinnok, Tanya, Bo' Rai Cho, Drahmin, Kenshi, Li Mei, Moloch, Nitara (She's Okay), Onaga (He's Okay), Sareena, Havik, Hotaru, and Skarlet. I would enjoy these characters returns. Obviously they all won't be in MKX, but I hope I will see most of them in the future.

I really love the new characters in MKX. They look very promising.

I think it's too early to judge the new characters in MKX since we know nothing about them fully. I agree that most post-arcade MK characters suck because they were never fresh out and came off lame. NRS has more time on working on MK games, so they could give us better characters then we did from 2002 - 2006. I consider MKDA - MKA to be the 3D era and never view MK4 as the start of the 3D era.

I won't even lie intially I Was a little on the bummed side about the new characters and the direction they were going due to past unpleasant experience in the 3D era

but then i saw gameplay and now i'm in love with all of them mostly for the near limitless areas they can go with the lore now
the new chars are not copy paste like the older newer characters, they scream personality and diversity and the variations are icing on the cake. hell i'm more excited about what new characters will be revealed now more so than any returning vets with the exception of one (ermac, if he's even in).

and on the subject of EVO I appreciate MK and injustice being in there. it's no longer the laughing stock of fighting games and is now taken serious. I personally love seeing it in the hands of pro's and the variations will only add to that excitement if MKX makes the cut (I'm sure it will) also it is one of the most viewed games on EVO

all in all progress demands sacrifice of some form if you don't like it, well that's what the older MK games are here for