Are old action movies better than the modern ones?

Substitute Zero

Is it just me or do you find the old action movies better than the ones being released today. I think modern day hollywood is lacking any real sort of kick a$$ stars like the ones we had years ago such as Stallone, Arnie, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Mel Gibson, Steven Segal, Van Damme, Bruce Willis etc etc

Action is by far my favourite genre but the same level of excitement is not there for me about the new era as the old stuff. I would nearly prefer to watch something I have not already seen by the above listed stars than watch the new stuff.

Apart from the Ip Man movies, Tony Jaa, Furious series and few others Im not too excited about the new stuff.

Does anyone else feel the same???

The days of blockbuster stars are over. Now, it's all about obtaining established IPs and remaking(destroying) classics.

I agree that this generation lacks creativity in every single category: television, music, movies, video games; it's all bad.

Action movies need body builders again.
Tired of pipsqueaks with pistols. Bring on the chiseled gods with chainguns.

Action movies are fun and everything but your favorite? Really?

What about all the other beautiful classics that arent action?

Like dont get me wrong, I am the biggest predator fan of all time and I enjoy action movies, but im not gonna say that they are better films than say citizen kane or psycho.

with the few exceptions the problem is that today action movies keep getting like a 6/10 and get labeled a "dumb action movie". they need to stop making them gritty and drop the drama and just make the action movies fun again.

Action movies need body builders again.
Tired of pipsqueaks with pistols. Bring on the chiseled gods with chainguns.

^This.

In all honesty, I enjoy older action films 95% of the time more so than modern stuff. Give me Van Damme "Bloodsport" or "Kickboxer" any day of the week.

Like dont get me wrong, I am the biggest predator fan of all time and I enjoy action movies, but im not gonna say that they are better films than say citizen kane or psycho.

I enjoy most genres of film and think the films you mentioned such as citizen kane and psycho are great films but I find myself more drawn to the action genre. I find action movies more exciting and have more replay value at least for me anyways.

I enjoy most genres of film and think the films you mentioned such as citizen kane and psycho are great films but I find myself more drawn to the action genre. I find action movies more exciting and have more replay value at least for me anyways.

Fair enough, I'll definitely agree its a lot more fun to rewatch popcorn action flicks than dramas and whatnot

Yup, gonna have to go with Predator as my favorite action film.

It happens with any medium as it ages. People run out of ideas with time. Bruce Lee was fortunate for being there at the right place and time, when the genre was just emerging. Fight choreography was pretty much the only things going for his movies. I don't think most people actually remember the character Lee was trying to portray in the films.

Also, it only gets worse when more money is on the line. Just look at the video game industry. Budgets for mainstream titles are becoming comparable to movies. Publishers prefer to churn out a sequels for successful IPs and than finding creative ways to use their medium.

Last edited:
I agree except I don't think its lack of ideas alone. Companies seriously screw with creative freedom these days. A filmmaker is told what he/she is suppose to make usually following trends. And the current trend of remake cash cowing is sadly successful.

I've heard way too many times how a filmmaker's movie (which could have been fine work) is butchered by the company. I think the button line is that the companies are focused on what will make the most money. Which is understandable fron their perspective, however, the buisness side of it ruins the chance of any art being made. In all forms, art is expression so it just doesn't work out if you're told what to make.

With The Dark Knight, in example, ever since its success, we're seeing a trend in 'realistic grittiness'. Which isn't bad, I like it, but it just shows how they lock on to what's successful in hauling in the money rather than creating more good art. As a movie buff, its sad. Because of this, I nornally look for more independent films.

Yeah, the american film industry (in regards to action films) is not very good at all. But you just have to know where to look. Donnie Yen (Ip Man) is still putting out great stuff. And if you haven't seen The Raid films do yourself a favor and check them out. There's still good stuff out there.

With all this talk about action movie I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Raid movies seriously best action scenes I seen in a movie and the bat scene was basically art

Yes they were!! Old movies are awesome even till today, remakes tend to suck, though sometimes a remake would become better than the old version.

Old skool pwnz anything these days, I mean check out Mortal Kombat Annihilation, it was liek da best movy evar and im not even trolling.

With all this talk about action movie I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Raid movies seriously best action scenes I seen in a movie and the bat scene was basically art

Check out my comment riiiight above yours! hahaha.
Great minds think alike.