MORTAL KOMBAT X general discussion

The more and more I think about the variation system ,the least I like it.Quan chi's teleport should be a universal move for him but I would guess that it's not.

"This is where you fall down"

I'm not sure either about the idea of variations. Does it not make sense to just keep a universal variation? I never really got the impression that fans preferred using a specific aspect of a characters moveset. I guess I can't make a full judgement until I play myself, but I think they might have spent more time on this variation idea by giving themselves more work. Perhaps that's why it takes long revealing characters because they have to perfect 3 different variations of themselves.

is Quan Chi's teleport stomp move in all his variations? I haven't watched all the gameplay videos.
Klassic specials need to be universal. How the Ice Clone and Raiden Teleport are Single Variation Exclusive is beyond me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Yea ,like its a different idea but I wonder if they are thinking to themselves "damn we would be further along now if we didn't have to make 3 versions of every character "

I don't know about you guys but I hate when people counter select players which is why I go hidden.this system encourages counter picking .

Its really not that confusing. Character's variations focus on certain move types. Which ever one you prefer is the play style for you. Or you could end up liking them all.

Klassic specials need to be universal. How the Ice Clone and Raiden Teleport are Single Variation Exclusive is beyond me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Sub-Zero's Ice Ball/Slide and Raiden's Lightining/Torpedo move luckily are universal. (atleast I hope) It make sense seeing as how Ice Clone and Teleport are not priority moves.

The beauty of the variations is how it specializes in different playstyles for a single character. I think it will really spice things up.

I like it. I think it looks very interesting, but I don't think it will stick. I think fans would prefer more of their favorite characters, than variations of one character.

I don't know about you guys but I hate when people counter select players which is why I go hidden.this system encourages counter picking .

I also don't care for counter picking..
Mainly because it just turns into a game of "who will pick first"

Unfortunately though, it's pretty much necessary if you want to be the best you can be.

is Quan Chi's teleport stomp move in all his variations? I haven't watched all the gameplay videos.

Yes.

The more and more I think about the variation system ,the least I like it.Quan chi's teleport should be a universal move for him but I would guess that it's not.
Only Raiden's Teleport and Subby's Clone qualify so far, but I find it to be acceptable considering the variation they are a part of are entirely based around those moves. If you can't imagine not using teleports, you know which Raiden to use. I don't see a problem. In fact, I see a solution to the problem of each fighter playing one specific way. Sub players can now play more offensively, and it's all thanks to the variation system.

For you guys who don't understand.

Think Kabal in MK9.

If you've had the pleasure of fighting a high level kabal player you will quickly learn how stupid it is when a single character has nothing but strengths and no weaknesses.

the beautiful part of fighting game is that each character has different strengths and weaknesses and you must do your best to minimize your own weakness and maximize the opponents'.

The Variation options just allow you to play your favorite character with different weaknesses and strengths.

One version of raiden may be prone to be open to be zoned out, but lets say he has a incredibly strong mid-close game.

One version of raiden may be have teleports to counter zoning, but he loses that strength he had from the mid-close game.

this makes it so you can play your favorite character in the style you prefer, while maintaining strength and weakness for each variation. A game where everyone has the same strengths and weaknesses because everyone can zone/rushdown/mid game at anytime, would get stale.

Understood...it was very hard to beat Kabal with Johnny cage...when I did beat a really "skilled Kabal player" I felt like I got lucky.

So they are giving us 3 different versions of our favorite characters so we don't have to pick a totally different character to combat another guy..I still think it's a bit much but I get it and I hope the game does well for the sake of having more MK games

Understood...it was very hard to beat Kabal with Johnny cage...when I did beat a really "skilled Kabal player" I felt like I got lucky.

So they are giving us 3 different versions of our favorite characters so we don't have to pick a totally different character to combat another guy..I still think it's a bit much but I get it and I hope the game does well for the sake of having more MK games

I think its more so that you can pick any character you want against any other character. So you don't go, "Shoot, I shouldn't pick him because he's using this guy." Instead, you select a variation that stands a better chance against the other character.

There was characters in MK9 I liked but never wanted to use because of their playstyle which is why I think this variation system is brilliant.

This variation system is actually pretty revolutionary. I know that other games have done similar things, but they mostly involved supers or mobility options. With MKX's Variations it allows characters to be split up into multiple play styles.

A number of fans of Noob Saibot complained that he was mainly a zoner in MK9. A style that some people aren't comfortable playing. With MKX this fixes problems like that since there would be 3 styles to choose from.

It also prevents cases like Injustice's Martian Manhunter, who has too many specials for his own good.

I just think different variations will freshen things up, especially in online mode where you wont see the same character moves with the same combos etc

The only reason that I can think of why they did that with Sub-Zero and Raiden for MKX is probably because the Ice Clone (Sub-Zero) and Teleport (Raiden) would probably make those 2 WAY OP in the other 2 variations that they have.
At least, that's the most logical reason, to me.
If they split up the special moves for any other reason than balancing, then I agree with you 100% on that being utter horse shit.

Sometimes I actually wonder how people choose who their favorite character is?I don't like JOHNNY Cage because omg he's so good..I actually like the characters story about him having something to prove and I like the movie star y attitude. I think it's kinda lame that so many people all played Cyrax and Kunglao.. I really feel like it was because they where strong characters .

Who is your main and why?do you relate to them?or are you one of the guys that try to find the player who you can get the most wins with and main them?

Back in the day, it was a lot easier to pick a character because you personally identified with something - they all played pretty much the same (minus special moves).

Now, I feel it's easier to drift towards characters that simply kick ass - regardless of their story. I feel like that's where a bit of the klassic MK magic has been lost. I'm 100% for people choosing who they want to choose for their own reasons, however.