Backstory

Jion_Wansu

Have they figured out what Quan Chi is yet? Is Quan Chi a native to the Netherrealm, an Oni? Or was Quan Chi human once?

Most likely a native of the netherrealm
There is that thing about the ability to retain form within hell but i don't think that's just for those who used to be human before being sent down. If he ever was "anything" else in a previous life he cut all ties to it and it would have been many millennia ago.

I hope it stays this way to be honest... we get all these backstory's on villains and for most part it's so the fans can connect with the character easier which is unnecessary for established characters like Quan chi.

Almost 99.9% of the time it has a negative effect
Unfortunately the backstory/plot device where we are meant to feel some degree of sympathy towards evil characters..
What happened to being an evil bad ass just for the sake of being evil.

Backstory? We all know the backstory...
Im more curious about this confrontation...
tumblr_ne6b9kanvT1rzm7hxo1_250.gif

Quan Chi vs Kotal Kahn

I believe in MKD's Konquest mode, somewhere it says Quan Chi started off as an Oni. Then eventually formed in to the being he is now. The backstories seem to shift sometimes so I don't know much of that is true.

Quan Chi has always been an Oni, dweller of the Netherrealm, according to canon.

I always have the impression that he LOOKED different, maybe like a common Oni (Moloch, other Oni's on MK:D and MK:SM) but was intelligent enough to develop his physical appearance and be stronger. That's just an impression I always had about him.

Anyway, Quan Chi was the guy who helped Shinnok kick Lucifer's ass. If we consider Taven, VERY OLD, knew Shinnok as an Elder God and at the same time he knew Shao Kahn as Emperor of Outworld, it means, after Onaga (who is pretty damn ultra VERY VERY OLDER), and all of that was before the God Wars, Quan Chi is also very old.

That's enough time to become one of the most powerful sorcerers of all.

And if we start asking in uroboros way, like "so, where did the Oni came from?", we must remember Lucifer was lord of hell, maybe he had some way to do it (really don't wanna imagine).

Quan Chi has always been an Oni, dweller of the Netherrealm, according to canon.

I always have the impression that he LOOKED different, maybe like a common Oni (Moloch, other Oni's on MK:D and MK:SM) but was intelligent enough to develop his physical appearance and be stronger. That's just an impression I always had about him.

Anyway, Quan Chi was the guy who helped Shinnok kick Lucifer's ass. If we consider Taven, VERY OLD, knew Shinnok as an Elder God and at the same time he knew Shao Kahn as Emperor of Outworld, it means, after Onaga (who is pretty damn ultra VERY VERY OLDER), and all of that was before the God Wars, Quan Chi is also very old.

That's enough time to become one of the most powerful sorcerers of all.

And if we start asking in uroboros way, like "so, where did the Oni came from?", we must remember Lucifer was lord of hell, maybe he had some way to do it (really don't wanna imagine).

I keep hearing Lucifer being canon in MK. When was this? I find it kind of odd.

Shinnok dethroned Lucifer in hell (Quan chi and helped)
It's always been a part of shinnok's backstory

I keep hearing Lucifer being canon in MK. When was this? I find it kind of odd.

Lucifer was known as ruler of Netherrealm before Shinnok's fall.

The fallen Elder God was banished to the wretched place to be punished forever, but he managed to overthrow its ruler and seize the power.

He had the help of Quan Chi, and for that he was chosen as his second in command. I have this impression Quan Chi having his appearance changed because every Oni we know is totally monstruous, but he looks fine, strong and even human (despite markings, skin color, etc.), maybe Shinnok taught him some things.

It's funny because Lucifer is mentioned and we all know the War in Heaven jewish-christian myth. That's when I question myself: wait, could exist some jewish-christian God on MK story?

Then I think about the One Being and...well, better not think like this, this polemic could make us never see the One being at all, and that's the biggest foe of the franchise...

well, lol.

Vixen posted a Quan Chi profile where his age is eternal and on of his what ifs states that he himself is Shinnok's amulet that gets sent back through time by the Elder Gods to be found by Shinnok

I believe in MKD's Konquest mode, somewhere it says Quan Chi started off as an Oni. Then eventually formed in to the being he is now. The backstories seem to shift sometimes so I don't know much of that is true.

I've never heard that and I've played both the Deception konquest mode, as well as the Armageddon one. Maybe it was somewhere in Deception? Could you help?
Also, it depends a lot on who says it. Most residents of the Netherrealm said things, but they have absolutely no clue about the truth. NRS could give Quan Chi ANY possible backstory without contradicting anything. Some dialogue in Deception's konquest mode was just for fun, like Shao Kahn saying "Go tell Reiko that I know he's wearing my helmet behind my back!" ;))

As for Lucifer....... I don't know where that backstory of Shinnok started, but in no bio or ending of Shinnok in any game, is Lucifer mentioned.
Edit: Looking online, I found that he is mentioned in a ?guide book? for MK Mythologies in which they spell Raiden as Rayden and also said Sub-Zero was born in America, the oldest of three children, which included a brother and sister.
Hardly canon, unless Frost is actually his long lost sis'

I've never heard that and I've played both the Deception konquest mode, as well as the Armageddon one. Maybe it was somewhere in Deception? Could you help?
Also, it depends a lot on who says it. Most residents of the Netherrealm said things, but they have absolutely no clue about the truth. NRS could give Quan Chi ANY possible backstory without contradicting anything. Some dialogue in Deception's konquest mode was just for fun, like Shao Kahn saying "Go tell Reiko that I know he's wearing my helmet behind my back!" ;))

As for Lucifer....... I don't know where that backstory of Shinnok started, but in no bio or ending of Shinnok in any game, is Lucifer mentioned.
Edit: Looking online, I found that he is mentioned in a ?guide book? for MK Mythologies in which they spell Raiden as Rayden and also said Sub-Zero was born in America, the oldest of three children, which included a brother and sister.
Hardly canon, unless Frost is actually his long lost sis'

I remember hearing that Quan Chi was an oni when I was in the netherrealm. Not in the city but the plains region. I don't remember who it was that said it but it said he use to be an oni. It its true, I don't mind that backstory.

In an old backstory for Shang Tsung, he use to be a demon as well.

On his MKD bio kard it states that he is from the Netherrealm, so we got that at least, and usually we would assume he was a demon of some form or another then.

Not only that, but the dialogue you folks are looking for is indeed from an Oni running around in the outer planes of the Netherrealm.

There's a small section of land next to where you actually find Quan Chi,where you see a good handful of Oni just aimlessly creeping around. This is off to the left before the entrance to the area that has the floating ruins with Quan Chi's markings on them (WHICH, by the way, was the canon way he received his tattoos in the old timeline: by burning those markings about the amulet's abilities to open portals onto his skin, which was not too long before being chased by Moloch and Drahmin into the portal he opens with the knowledge FROM the markings).

"Quan Chi? Yes, I knew Quan Chi before he became a sorcerer. He was not much different from me then."

Other dialogue you can also gather from random Netherrealm denizens that may be of interest to you in terms of Quan Chi's backstory:

"Were it not for sorcerers such as Quan Chi, this town would be much like the wastelands of the lower planes."

"Quan Chi helped to create this city. Most sorcerers do not venture far from its protection."

"We guards do not set foot outside the walls of this town. We are oni transformed by sorcery and would be undone in the lower planes."

"Quan Chi? Yes, I knew Quan Chi before he became a sorcerer. He was not much different from me then."

This could mean soooo many things. He may have been a fallen soul, forced to suffer eternally for atrocities he committed in his life as a human. We know Drahmin was one and yet, denizens of the Netherrealm could make for him the exact same description they made for Quan Chi: "not that different from myself, a regular demon....."
Sure, QC could just be a demon, born a demon and destined to always be that. But, you never know.....The truth is....he is just too old for anyone to know his true story. He first helped Shinnok at least 10.000 years ago. That's a really long time. But he might be even older. One thing I remember from Armageddon's konquest is that his name sounded vaguely familiar to Taven. I think the writers had a plan to link him with a name (?movement?) from Old Edenia. Nothing was mentioned again. In that same konquest we learnt that Reiko had beef with him. And Reiko is really old too. He fought alongside Shinnok in the Raiden-Shinnok global War that plunged the world into centuries of darkness. The earliest time for that conflict is 10.000 years ago, coinciding with the historical Great Flood in many mythologies and histories.