Will Quan Chi be a Boss?

RonnyRAGE

I think that he will fill the role that Shang Tsung had in MK9

With a Sub Boss then Shinnok as the Primary Boss

Where do you place the Sorcerer on the Arcade Ladder?

I also believe that there will be a Secret Boss Evil Liu Kang

I doubt it. I assume Quan Chi will be playing a big part of the story though. Whether its assisting Shinnok or some new plot.

I think he will likely take over Shang Tsung with Shang Tsung still being debatable if he's dead or alive. I think Shinnok will likely be playable and not a boss character. I think Shinnok and Kotal Khan might be story mode bosses, but they won't be bosses on the Arcade Ladder. Ed Boon admits that he wishes that Shinnok was the never main boss of MK4 given how Mortal Kombat was always known to have big and scary bosses.

Where do you place the Sorcerer on the Arcade Ladder?

I see Quan Chi playing a huge role in the MKX story.

That said, for Ladder Mode, I see him taking MK9 Shang's place as the MKX playable Sub-Boss.
I really don't see Quan Chi being the Final Boss.
I don't even see Shinnok taking the Shao Kahn role in Ladder Mode.
Shinnok seems was too obvious and everyone expects it, and I think that NRS will throw people off with the final Boss.

In other words, as far as ladder goes, IMO;

- MK9 Shang Tsung = MKX Quan Chi
- MK9 Goro / Kintaro = MKX Shinnok
- MK9 Shao Kahn = bigger badder Boss which has the same type of Shao Kahn evil dominance in MKX story mode.

It's about time a Quan Chi thread was made!

Damn [MENTION=5028]Araknyd_Commander[/MENTION] you took must've been in my head cuz i was pretty much gonna say the same thing!

I don't think Quan Chi will be a sub boss. I think that Shinnok will be what Shang Tsung was in mk9 in mkx.

Last edited:
I think he'll be like how Shang Tsung was in 2011 and be the sub-boss. His character doesn't speak, "Regular combatant" to me for this game.

Plus, and I don't know if it's just me, he looks sub-boss material just based on the outfit they gave him. Not sure if the skull he has in his chest piece is something to really think heavily about but... He looks like a sub-boss to me.

I rather have a new unplayable sub-boss. It been so long since we had one seeing that Noob-Smoke didn't really count, Armageddon didn't have one, MKvsDCU had Shao Kahn as the sub-boss and MK9 had both Goro and Kintaro. Hard to believe Moloch was our last original sub boss we had and now he's dead in MKX.

Quan Chi has been a major villain (and in many games, one of the primary villains) since his debut. I see no reason why he shouldn't be a secondary sub-boss at the very least (much like Shang Tsung was in both MK2 and MK9).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I think he will share a sub boss slot with Shinnok. I really don't think Shinnok will be the final boss. They are going to be playable.
I think we
ll either face shinnok or Quan chi. like with Goro or Kintaro in MK9

Damn [MENTION=5028]Araknyd_Commander[/MENTION] you took must've been in my head cuz i was pretty much gonna say the same thing!

:laugh:
Yeah, I see Quan Chi playing a BIG role in the story with his army of dead EarthRealm revenants (MK9 zombie / ghosts).
I just don't see Quan Chi in that MK9 Shao Kahn role, though, especially with Ed saying that some of the new characters will have risen and fallen to power over the course of MKX, and I could also see Shinnok being an unplayable Sub-Boss as I don't think he'll take up roster space.

EDIT:
Speaking of roster space, anyone else think that the whole "more new characters than any MK game" comment by Ed Boon could also allude to non-playable characters?
I mean, if you think about it, Dark Kahn was a new character in MKvsDC, but he wasn't playable.
Just sayin.'

Last edited:
:laugh:
Yeah, I see Quan Chi playing a BIG role in the story with his army of dead EarthRealm revenants (MK9 zombie / ghosts).
I just don't see Quan Chi in that MK9 Shao Kahn role, though, especially with Ed saying that some of the new characters will have risen and fallen to power over the course of MKX, and I could also see Shinnok being an unplayable Sub-Boss as I don't think he'll take up roster space.

EDIT:
Speaking of roster space, anyone else think that the whole "more new characters than any MK game" comment by Ed Boon could also allude to non-playable characters?
I mean, if you think about it, Dark Kahn was a new character in MKvsDC, but he wasn't playable.
Just sayin.'

Well, I noticed in an Ed Boon interview, he was talking about how its going to introduce the most new characters in any MK game. Then he pause and started to say something like, "well maybe Deception had a little more". And then he stopped himself, reassuring the game will have a lot of new characters.

So we pretty much have a good estimate of what we're in for. I can't see too many non-playables being new characters. Maybe the sub-boss but he confirmed that the big bad is a returning character.

To be honest, I'd be happy if Shinnok was a playable character. I think of him as the Raiden of the Netherrealm, or Quan Chi's creepier uncle. He's never had the presence of a big bad but lore wise, it would make sense that he'd be an equal or even bigger threat than Shao Kahn.

Well, I noticed in an Ed Boon interview, he was talking about how its going to introduce the most new characters in any MK game. Then he pause and started to say something like, "well maybe Deception had a little more". And then he stopped himself, reassuring the game will have a lot of new characters.

So we pretty much have a good estimate of what we're in for. I can't see too many non-playables being new characters. Maybe the sub-boss but he confirmed that the big bad is a returning character.

Ed said more new characters than any MK game (which was 11 in Deadly Alliance, not Deception), so I cough that up to being an error on his part.
11+ is most likely, with some of those being descendants.

I can see 2 NEW non-playable Sub-Boss characters.
Quan Chi doesn't HAVE to be a Sub-Boss, even if he has a big part in the story.
Kotal Kahn is Emperor of Outworld at some point, and it doesn't seem like he'll be a Sub-Boss.

To be honest, I'd be happy if Shinnok was a playable character. I think of him as the Raiden of the Netherrealm, or Quan Chi's creepier uncle. He's never had the presence of a big bad but lore wise, it would make sense that he'd be an equal or even bigger threat than Shao Kahn.

True, but that said, with a limited roster of 24 to 28 main roster characters and the Original 7 being semi-confirmed, that leaves 5 to 7 spaces (roughly) for other returning or post-MK3 characters.
Fujin, Tanya (rumored), Reiko, Kenshi and Havik are also some of the more popular / highly requested characters from that era too, which also can't be forgotten about.
If Shinnok WAS a Final Boss, I wouldn't want him to be playable.

Ed said more new characters than any MK game (which was 11 in Deadly Alliance, not Deception), so I cough that up to being an error on his part.
11+ is most likely, with some of those being descendants.

I can see 2 NEW non-playable Sub-Boss characters.
Quan Chi doesn't HAVE to be a Sub-Boss, even if he has a big part in the story.
Kotal Kahn is Emperor of Outworld at some point, and it doesn't seem like he'll be a Sub-Boss.

True, but that said, with a limited roster of 24 to 28 main roster characters and the Original 7 being semi-confirmed, that leaves 5 to 7 spaces (roughly) for other returning or post-MK3 characters.
Fujin, Tanya (rumored), Reiko, Kenshi and Havik are also some of the more popular / highly requested characters from that era too, which also can't be forgotten about.
If Shinnok WAS a Final Boss, I wouldn't want him to be playable.

Which is understandable. No one should expect Boon not to make mistakes. But we knew what he was meaning.
Having two new sub-bosses, following the trend of MK9, would be ideal. It freshens up the ladder mode as well. It would be kind of weak to have a playable character like Kotal Kahn as a sub-boss so I hope you're right.

If we're on the money about the roster, I'm not going to expect every favored and requested characters to land on the roster. Its seeming a bit tight especially considering the amount of new characters that are going to show up (and if the boot picture is all of the returnees that is)

I considered the possibility of Shinnok being the final boss. I was thinking when he said "a returning character that no one would expect" maybe they kind of forgotten the cliffhanger in MK9 lol. But despite how the roster is looking, I'm still hoping for Shinnok mostly. Fingers crossed.

Agreed.
2 new Sub-Bosses would be pretty cool.

I didn't mean to imply that every favorite character will be on the main roster.
It's just that those have the best chances of making the roster, and where does that leave space for Shinnok as a playable character?
I don't expect all boots to be returnees either.
Some new, some MK9 and some post-MK3.
My guess for the boots is 2+2+2 (2 returning, 2 post-MK3 and 2 NEW).

I don't mind him as a Final Boss, if he IS.
Again, though, I wouldn't want him being playable, if that's the case.
Personally, I'd rather have a badass OP Final Boss Shinnok, than another repeat of MK4 watered-down Final Boss / playable Shinnok.
I don't think he'll be watered-down if he's playable, because NRS has learned from the past, but Boss characters are supposed to be end characters that are super hard to beat, and make you want to throw the controller at the screen.
The equivalent of wasting quarters in the arcade to take the Boss down.
The feeling of "Holy crap, that was hard, but I finally beat this guy."
The only time I got that feeling in MK9 was against Story Mode Shao Kahn on Expert, fighting against 3 Shao Kahn's with 1 life bar (using Stryker) and against 3 Goro's with 1 life bar (using Ermac).

Ed Boon said in Shinnok's bio card that he wish that Shinnok was never a boss character @1:17

I don't think Shinnok is not going to be the main boss of the game if Ed Boon feels like that he should never be a boss character. I think having both Shinnok and Quan Chi playable is likely.

Shinnok actually was a Boss character, though, according to MK4 / GOLD.

"Shinnok was the final boss character in MK4. He probably shouldn't have been....."

If Ed changed his mind about it after MK4, that's another story.

Possibly, but Quan Chi only achieved stability on MK:DA times (that may not be repeated), after shinnok was out of his way.

First, I think Shinnok must go down for him to ascend into total independence.

Well, who knows if Quan Chi won't slay Shinnok...