MK: Annihilation Retrospective Interviews?

Ryan Smith

We all know Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was a mess, and I'm sure everyone involved in the movie knows that as well. I know for a lot of other films that were pretty bad, sometimes in various interviews, the cast and crew will poke fun and give their thoughts and insight into the movies failings and some of the decision making behind the scenes.

I just got done watching the movie on Blu-ray and seeing just how much of a mess the movie really was gave me a lot of questions.

Has anyone involved in MK:A ever spoken in depth about these sorts of things during interviews and such? I think it would be fun to hear insight into why the story was so broken, why the CGI was bad, the poor green-screen effects ( explosion behind Jax and Sonya is hysterically bad).

Or maybe anyone here who has that sort of information could share some of the behind the scenes details? I know one person I talked to a long time ago said that they supposedly just run out of money trying to shoot on location and didn't have the budget to really put the finishing touches on the movie, and the movie was released in pretty much an unfinished state. But I'd love to hear these sorts of details from someone more in-the-know, I guess.

Also, I know on the MK laserdisc, there was a commentary track. Was there ever one for Annihilation?

MK Annihilation was a bad movie but is still a guilty pleasure of mine to watch. Yeah, its a shitty film but its MK. MK at its worst is like cold pizza - its still good. Something about the movie I did like the most is (even with the cheesiness and cheap foam power ranger costumes) it really did give me the feeling of MKT atmosphere.

Anyways, only interesting information I know about the movie is that Quan Chi was originally going to appear at the end of the film next to a very human looking Shinnok. He was played by an asian actor who didn't know any english. I'm not sure why it was cut from the film but he wore a suit nearly identical to Quan Chi's MK4 attire.

image.jpg

Last edited:
MK Annihilation was a bad movie but is still a guilty pleasure of mine to watch. Yeah, its a shitty film but its MK. MK at its worst is like cold pizza - its still good. Something about the movie I did like the most is (even with the cheesiness and cheap foam power ranger costumes) it really did give me the feeling of MKT atmosphere.

Yeah totally agree, its so bad its actualy good, the fight scenes are awesome, as long as you dont pay to much atention.

I remember watching MK 1 and 2 when I got them on Blu-ray, and while its totaly amazing to watch these movies remastered in Blu-ray, going from MK 1 to 2 is a huge step backwards with special effects, though the fighting scenes in MK Annihilation were totally awesome, and so was the music!

though the fighting scenes in MK Annihilation were totally awesome

I think iv got to disagree.

I can never take this fight seriously at all.
Are they fighting, or are they doing gymnastics?

At 1:10 it seriously looks like Raiden's doing ballet.
And skip to 1:23....WHAT WAS THAT?
That looked soooo choreographed...Almost as bad as a WWE wrestling match.

However, I will admit that around the 1:40 mark, the fight got slightly cooler.
That one punch Raiden lands around 1:44 is just hilarious

I think iv got to disagree.

I can never take this fight seriously at all.
Are they fighting, or are they doing gymnastics?

At 1:10 it seriously looks like Raiden's doing ballet.
And skip to 1:23....WHAT WAS THAT?
That looked soooo choreographed...Almost as bad as a WWE wrestling match.

However, I will admit that around the 1:40 mark, the fight got slightly cooler.
That one punch Raiden lands around 1:44 is just hilarious

OKAY OKAY! I totally forgot about that part with Raiden, I mean it wasn't nonstop shit, he had some good parts in that fight, though it wasn't as bad as the Baraka fight lmao