Do Variations ruin Character Costumes?

Armon24

I hope there isn't a thread on this already, but I had to mention something that has been bothering me just a bit with MKX. Don't get me wrong, the game looks amazing in so many ways but something that has been irritating me is the very distinct costume changes for each variation. For example:

unbreakable_sub_zero_mkx_by_sublzerolfan-d7szbxf.png

Sub-Zero looks great normally in MKX but with this Unbreakable variation they made him look....goofy? The mask is so bright it throws the rest of the costume off. More recently they did this with the new reveal of
Spoiler:
Quan Chi

Spoiler:
02_quanchi.jpg

^Seen on the picture on the right. I couldn't find any better picture.

For the costume looks great, but as seen in the video the orangy spikes in Quan Chi's summoner variation ruin his look a bit.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I feel like some costume changes in the variations mess with the overall look of the characters. It should be more subtle, I think

There's a thread of this already lol and tons of talk about it

Edit: My bad, not sure if there is a thread. I just remember talking about it constantly in threads

Last edited:
Sub-Zero looks great normally in MKX but with this Unbreakable variation they made him look....goofy? The mask is so bright it throws the rest of the costume off.

Actually I've got some good news for you there. Having played the game at its true resolution I can tell you that the brightness of the mask is not what it seems to be on Youtube or in the photos we've seen. There's a bit more texture and roughness to it than we're able to see online, which gives the impression that his mask is just frozen over as opposed to actually glowing.

I must admit, I am no fan of how each Variation has some kind of indication on the costume. I would MUCH rather that it just said what Variation you are using in the corner of the screen, like, beneath the character names or above the X-Ray meter, WITHOUT showing on the actual character.

I'm so freaking worried about this. I LOVE alternate MK costumes and I've been thinking the same thing. I'll be crossing my fingers for Boon to put them in. Who knows though, with the focus on variations they might just leave them out. =\

I'm so freaking worried about this. I LOVE alternate MK costumes and I've been thinking the same thing. I'll be crossing my fingers for Boon to put them in. Who knows though, with the focus on variations they might just leave them out. =\

This has also been on my mind.... edit*It was confirmed alternates were in.
they will probably be unlockable, kind of like MK9 when you beat the ladder with a character you unlock the alternate costume.

Speaking of which i'm dying to see what the ladder is going to look like in MKX hopefully it's a lot more gritty and choose your destiny returns.

Last edited:
I like it; it provides a lot of cool looks that would normally only be seen if we had several alt costumes. There's alt costumes too, so hopefully the Unbreakable mask looks better on the alt costume's mask.

a lot of those variation changes are just small additions. like scorpion holding sub-zeros skull (lies) and kano color stop light color changes.

The appearance changes so far:

Scorpion
Ninjitsu - dual swords on back
Hellfire - hands and arms are on fire
Inferno - summoning device hanging from his waistcloth

Sub-Zero
Cryomancer - frozen hands and arms
Unbreakable - frozen mask
Grandmaster - Dragon Medallion displayed on chest

Raiden
Thunder God - electricity around arms
Displacer - electricity around entire body
Master of Storms - electricity around hat, normal hat is replaced with a metallic one

Kano
Cutthroat - cybernetic parts have a green glow
Cybernetic - cybernetic parts have a red glow, dual knives are removed from his back
Commando - cybernetic parts have a yellow glow

Quan Chi
Sorcerer - eye pupils and tattoos are blue
Warlock - glowing green skeletal arms appear on back, skull chestpiece partially glows green
Summoner - eyes and shoulder spikes glow red-orange

Cassie Cage
Hollywood - wears shades like her father's
Brawler - hands glow green
Spec Ops - wears a headset to call in air support, wears extra devices around tactical belt (allegedly)

D'Vorah
Brood Mother - hood is removed
Swarm Queen - a swarm of wasps flies around body
Venomous - green venom drips from legs and hands, exoskeleton circles on shoulders and neck glow green

Ferra/Torr
Ruthless - no discernible difference
Vicious - Ferra loses the headdress part of her helmet, Torr's mask becomes white (possibly just snow stage effect)
Lackey - Ferra is no longer on Torr's back and instead sits on the sidelines

Kotal Kahn
Blood God - tattoos glow red
War God - tattoos glow blue, personal weapon on back
Sun God - tattoos glow yellow

Last edited:
In the Vicious variation, Ferra loses the headress part of her helmet and Torr's mask become white.

MortalKombatX_Scorp_Torr_Snow_Showdown.jpg

I think with the roster being small, alt costumes is a must, and not just 1 alt for each character, but at least 2.

Here's hoping their bringing back some Klassic Kostumes. I love me some MK1 Subbie.

Would be cool seeing the different variation effects for the alternate kostumes.

I think with the roster being small, alt costumes is a must, and not just 1 alt for each character, but at least 2.

24 + Goro + console-exclusive guest = 26 at launch; MK9 had 27-28 depending on Xbox 360 or PS3.

So even in the worst-case scenario, it's not that much smaller. (Unless the universal launch roster is less than 24, which is highly unlikely.)

I think it's 22 MK characters + 1 guest + 1 slot for DLC + Goro preorder -> 23 MK characters on the start.
Even then, with the amount of characters in Ultra Hyper Super Duper Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6 & Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, it looks like a small number.
I'll buy the game regardless and prefer quality over quantity, but for casuals it can be a turn off.

I think it's 22 MK characters + 1 guest + 1 slot for DLC + Goro preorder -> 23 MK characters on the start.
Even then, with the amount of characters in Ultra Hyper Super Duper Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6 & Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, it looks like a small number.
I'll buy the game regardless and prefer quality over quantity, but for casuals it can be a turn off.

You have the worst outlook, lol. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Ed Boon said in the Kombat Tether interview that the roster would be similar, if not more than MK9's.