Confused, I thought Cassie Cage replaced Johnny & Sonya

musgrave999

Hello everyone, I very rarely post new threads anymore but something has been bugging me.

When Cassie Cage came out I was like "Awesome, combining two characters, smart move Boon." But then I still see people stating that they can't wait for Johnny and Sonya to be revealed. I understand diehard fans will still want their favorites in the game, I have my Cyrax, Rain, and Sareena. However, if we had 3 characters with mostly similar moves (Cassie, Johnny, and Sonya) wouldn't that be a little redundant? Most people talk about diversity and saving roster space for more worthy characters, so I don't mind saying I want more diversity by not adding Johnny and Sonya.

I'm curious as to what the non Johnny Cage and Sonya diehard fans opinions are.

Would we really need them?

Debate

I'll copy and paste what I said on the Official-Mortal-Kombat-X-Media-Thread.......

I fail to see the logic in Cassie = Johnny and Sonya are not in, given that Cassie only has Johnny's nut punch move / X-Ray, and that's it.
Cassie has no other clone moves from her parents.
On top of that, Johnny and Sonya are the sole surviving mortal heroes from MK9, who would have "aged" variations, as mentioned by Ed Boon.
She doesn't have the Kiss move, Ring Blasts, Leg Grab, Johnny's Shadow Kick, his Green Orb Blasts or his Shadow uppercut.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that a stork didn't just bring Cassie.
Cassie's variations hint that her parents had somewhat of an impact in raising her.

She only has 1 iconic move from both of them, and that's Johnny's nut punch.
If 1 iconic move = a character not being in, then Frost would have never made it in the DA thru A timeline to begin with.

Iconic moves are:

- Sonya: Ring Blast, Leg Grab, Kiss Move, Upward Bicycle Kicks
- Johnny: Nut Punch, Green Energy Blasts, Shadow Kick, Shadow Uppercut

From Patrick McCarron, who has played as Cassie Cage:

She fights with a similar yet different set of moves than her parents. She was clearly trained by them because of these similarities. One major difference is she uses akimbo pistols in her gameplay, something Sonya never did. Her "Spec Ops" variation allows her to call in a precision air strike as well.

Also, Ed Boon hinted at both of them being in MKX various times (which included aged variations) and Ed even mentioned Cassie being able to do fatalities on her parents.
Steve Beran also hinted at them being in.
The German GamePro that leaked Kano even said that Johnny, Sonya and Liu Kang are playable.

A direct quote from Ed Boon, in a recent interview with The Kombat Tether:

The Kombat Tether:
Many fans are concerned with your talk of character descendants. They fear that their favourite characters will be succeeded by essentially clones with similar move-sets, when they could just have the original character. Is this something the team is being sensitive with?

Ed Boon:
Right, yes. It never ceases to amaze me with the speculation that goes on. We love our fans and stuff like that and it's great that they're so into it but it just blows my mind when somebody hears 'Cassie Cage is in the game...' and then they assume that means 'well Sonya is not in the game!' and I don't know where they draw that conclusion and then they go 'Well if Sonya is not in the game that means Cassie is going to be a version of Sonya and she's gonna be skinned'. It's amazing but my advice would be don't speculate on that kind of stuff. *laughs*

http://thekombattether.com/gamescom/ed-boon-interview.html

Last edited:
I can accept Johnny on the roster. But not Sonya. Two military-like females with blonde hair and similar moves? That's a little uninspired, I think. Hopefully, Sonya is dead/killed off during the events of MKX and there's a strong father/daughter bond between Johnny and Cassie. Possibly a desire to seek revenge on whomever killed Sonya.

I said the same thing about Frost, and people here (not you, per se) essentially wanted my head for it.
Anyways, if Frost can be in the same game with Sub-Zero and she had exact, copy-paste iconic Sub-Zero moves, then Cassie and Sonya can be in, given that Cassie has none of her iconic moves.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Two military-like females with blonde hair and similar moves? That's a little uninspired, I think. Hopefully, Sonya is dead/killed off during the events of MKX and there's a strong father/daughter bond between Johnny and Cassie. Possibly a desire to seek revenge on whomever killed Sonya.

Killed off also doesn't mean not playable (if you were implying that), as MK9 has indicated.

Last edited:
Araknyd_Commander said:
(not you, per se)
I replied as a general statement to the people on this forum.

The last sentence where you talked about Sonya being killed off = not playable is where I was referring to you.
Sorry.
I'll edit it as to not cause further confusion.

People hate characters like Kira because they are mashups of two characters missing from the roster (in Kira's case, Kano and Sonya), so why do they want Cassie to fall into the same pit of eternal shunning by the MK fanbase? She should be her own character and that's what she appears to be, thankfully. As long as Sonya, Johnny and Cassie all play/feel/look differently, I see no reason they can't be on the same roster; let's hope that's the case.

Johnny and Sonya have already been konfirmed for MKX...multiple times. Via Twitter, via print media, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I can accept Johnny on the roster. But not Sonya. Two military-like females with blonde hair and similar moves? That's a little uninspired, I think. Hopefully, Sonya is dead/killed off during the events of MKX and there's a strong father/daughter bond between Johnny and Cassie. Possibly a desire to seek revenge on whomever killed Sonya.
Sooo... would it be okay if they introduced another black-haired fighter as well? Because we already have A LOT of them. Plus, Cassie reminds more of a cop than military per se. And which are those similar moves between Sonya and Cassie? I'm clearly missing something...

Sooo... would it be okay if they introduced another black-haired fighter as well? Because we already have A LOT of them. Plus, Cassie reminds more of a cop than military per se. And which are those similar moves between Sonya and Cassie? I'm clearly missing something...
Yeah, Cassie's look is basically female-Stryker. Sonya will hopefully have a different aesthetic to set them further apart.

I don't know of any cops who can call in an air strike. She definitely resembles and borrows a move or two from her mother. Same with Johnny. Cassie is Sonya, Cage and Stryker rolled up in one ball with a few unique moves of her own. Introducing Johnny in MKX wouldn't be so awful due to physical appearance (but the fact that she uses his shadow kick and nut punch makes me worry about how he is going to stand out as an individual character), but if you throw Sonya in, you've got two military-like blonde females who are far too similar to be in the same game. It doesn't work.

Besides, do we really need THREE members of the Cage family on the roster? No. We don't.

I like Sonya and all, but Cassie has replaced her. Obviously I think she needs to have some sort of role within the story, but not a character slot.

Knowing NRS though, she's probably in.