Do you think mainstream music has changed for the better?

Substitute Zero

I think its safe to say that rock music is pretty much dead these days at least in terms of mainstream. Bands such as The Killers, Kings of Leon who if they would not make number one they would be up and around the top a good few years back no longer even chart these days. Paramore and maybe Nickelback are two of few rock bands who are still accepted in terms of mainstream but only because their music has changed entirely and its pop music now. I think its sad to say but rock music now is nearly a thing of the past.

Anyways people what are your thoughts on this generation of mainstream music?
Do you think its better now? Or did you prefer it around eight years ago?
Do you think it fair that the dj now get more credit than the singer?

Mainstream will never change, as long as they're dumb people loving the blandest music in existence it will remain the same.

I used to get mad about people loving mainstream hip hop, but it's just a waste of energy trying to explain why it's bad to people who aren't willing to analyze the music themselves. So I moved on to other genres. Progressive metal, indie rock, post rock, etc.. The genres that are over shadowed by mainstream are 1000000x times better.

I want Metallica for Super Bowl Halftime, not some bubble gum pop bullshit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I love listening to Indie/Alternative Rock, that genre has definitely grew on me in the past few months.

I'm an Electronic Music Junkie, it constantly irks me when mainstream singers use House Beats in their songs. Also, it annoys the hell out of me when the vast majority of people go to Dance Festivals/Raves for the "atmosphere" and not know a single song in a DJ's set, unless it got mainstream radio play (Calvin Harris's Summer, for example). Also, I hate the word "EDM" because it's a garbage, mainstream reference that umbrellas all Electronic Genres into one, in order to make dumbass American College Kids sound cool.

I don't remember the last time I constantly listened to the radio in recent memory. It sucks because the Bands that [MENTION=10204]Substitute Zero[/MENTION] mentioned aren't doing as well as they used to, and in order for them to do well, they have to sell out their "signature sound" for the money. Biggest case and point is the new Coldplay song, "Sky Full Of Stars". I love House music, so I could listen to that all day, but for a Rock Band like Coldplay needing a "House sounding" song to chart in the mainstream is just sad.

People who don't like rock 'n' roll can eat shit as far as I'm concerned.

This. But anyway, the thing that makes me laugh is the fact that 90% of teens in the US (I am not of of them) dress like straight up hipsters, call themselves hipsters, but love all of the mainstream things like the modern day shit people call music. Dude, if you love everything everyone else loves, you're not a hipster, you're just a douche that dresses like one.

This. But anyway, the thing that makes me laugh is the fact that 90% of teens in the US (I am not of of them) dress like straight up hipsters, call themselves hipsters, but love all of the mainstream things like the modern day shit people call music. Dude, if you love everything everyone else loves, you're not a hipster, you're just a douche that dresses like one.

Right?

As far as I'm concerned, if you have an undercut/combover hairstyle, wear graphic shirts, coloured pants/shorts, listen to Indie Music, yeah you may be dressing like hipsters used to, but now it's almost completely mainstream.

Right?

As far as I'm concerned, if you have an undercut/combover hairstyle, wear graphic shirts, coloured pants/shorts, listen to Indie Music, yeah you may be dressing like hipsters used to, but now it's almost completely mainstream.

It's funny when I'm more of a hipster than any hipster I've met. And I don't even intend to be one! Haha!

I have long hair, my primary fashion statement is Denim and Leather, I like wearing black, wear the shirts of my favorite rock/metal bands, have a leather biker jacket, and have a cutoff denim jacket with a couple of patches of my favorite bands (that is a work in progress). Does that sound like a hipster to anyone?

I have long hair, my primary fashion statement is Denim and Leather, I like wearing black, wear the shirts of my favorite rock/metal bands, have a leather biker jacket, and have a cutoff denim jacket with a couple of patches of my favorite bands (that is a work in progress). Does that sound like a hipster to anyone?

I dress the same way. But I'm labeled as a delinquent. The irony is that I'm much smarter than most people who label me that.

I hate mainstream music, but I don't think less of anybody that likes it anymore. It's too common, so I just don't care.

Today's fashion is weird, lol. I swear, like 3 years ago people would look at you differently for wearing colored skinny jeans and such, but now it's hella popular. I can't lie, the whole athletic cut shirts and pants aren't a bad thing, I love American Eagle and Ralph Lauren clothing. Plus, I'm not mad at the girls for wearing the leggings and stuff.. :yumyum:

Hm, I'm quite detached to mainstream music nowadays. As far as I know, it's just making the catchiest songs possible. Nothing's really changed now; the soul has just been taken out of it now. There's so much competition around with the internet being so expansive, that people are less willing to take risks.

I suppose I don't listen to much mainstream music now because it's become more of a science than an art. I don't like that. Yet, I could understand the appeal for somebody who just wants to sing along to a catchy tune or something. It's a shame, since I think it's a bit of a waste in some cases, but, eh, whatever. Music is not made just for me so there's no point in sitting and complaining when I could just get on with it and listen to the music I do like.

Mainstream music 8 years ago? It was just a load of cut and paste R&B, right? Sean Paul, too... and...

James Blunt.

Oh God those horrible, horrible horrible memories.

*BRAIN BLEACH*

I don't have any issues with mainstream music, I actually enjoy a lot of it but I'm not deep into music anyway, so I don't really care what I'm listening to, as long as it sounds good.

My taste in music had to do with my upbringing. You know what my parents were listening to around me?

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Hendrix
Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Rush
Clapton
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Van Halen
SRV
Alice Cooper
Ted Nugent
AC/DC

And as soon as I got into AC/DC, I dove into Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, and Metallica! Did get into a bit of grunge (albeit late, due to the fact that I was listening to classic rock during most of the grunge era), but Metallica in particular led me to Pantera, Megadeth (mainly due to the Dave Mustaine factor), Slayer, etc.

If more parents just played some good old fashioned rock 'n' roll for their children like my parents did, music would be a lot better.

Either way, whatever was mainstream I always listened to Britney Spears even the times she had controversies. In high school, ppl would cringe when they see me listening to Britney and they'd start to tell me listen to rap/hip hop or rock (which were mostly mainstream at the time). Inwas like STFU because I can listen to whatever the fock I want.

Now, I do listen to some of the mainstream music a little more except for the crappy music of Lorde and a few others.

I'm also an Ariana Grande fan now. :)

I want Metallica for Super Bowl Halftime, not some bubble gum pop bullshit!

Doubt that will ever happen, I'm not a big football guy but it's quite apparent even to me that they're trying to make it as accessible to everyone they possibly can and make it less of a hardcore/guys only thing.

Anyway, I have no issue with mainstream or pop music at all...it's always been there in some form, always will, and serves it's purpose. Rock may be out for now, but trends always change and go in circles, there will be another "rock" revival at some point, but that isn't promising it's gonna be any good. I tend to dislike pretty much most modern day music though, even rock bands who aren't exactly mainstream (even if simply because the genre isn't that popular these days) still have very mainstream sensibilities....I'm sick of safe and nice "rockstars", all these rockers and metallers these days who are probably vegans and straight edge, we need another Axl Rose or Metallica or something if you ask me, nothing has balls anymore.