Do you think mainstream music has changed for the better?

Doubt that will ever happen, I'm not a big football guy but it's quite apparent even to me that they're trying to make it as accessible to everyone they possibly can and make it less of a hardcore/guys only thing.

Anyway, I have no issue with mainstream or pop music at all...it's always been there in some form, always will, and serves it's purpose. Rock may be out for now, but trends always change and go in circles, there will be another "rock" revival at some point, but that isn't promising it's gonna be any good. I tend to dislike pretty much most modern day music though, even rock bands who aren't exactly mainstream (even if simply because the genre isn't that popular these days) still have very mainstream sensibilities....I'm sick of safe and nice "rockstars", all these rockers and metallers these days who are probably vegans and straight edge, we need another Axl Rose or Metallica or something if you ask me, nothing has balls anymore.
Metallica is already mainstream enough for Super Bowl halftime. Their music is already played at sporting events. Just ask Yankees fans (and ESPECIALLY Mariano Rivera fans). And besides, their self-titled album (popularly known as "The Black Album") is certified 16x Platinum and is the highest selling album of the Soundscan Era (1991-present), and the success of the Black Album pushed their 4 previous albums (their BEST albums, by the way) to Platinum-level success. If THAT is not "mainstream enough for Super Bowl Halftime", then I don't know what is.

How about KISS for Super Bowl halfime? Their show is practically made for Super Bowl halftime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Music started to become garbage when appearance mattered more than sound.
I'd a say a good 90% of these modern talentless bimbos couldn't hit a note if their lives depended on it. And these lame ass rappers nowadays neither create their own beats nor write their own lyrics.

It is an absolute shame to say that less than attractive guys like Billy Paul would have no place on modern America's radio waves

MI0000474192.jpg

It's disgusting the amount of comments you see on Adele or Lorde's music videos. Morons making remarks about how fat or unattractive they are, ignoring the fact that these are some of the only artists today that actually have any vocal talent. This is why music is garbage today. Because any slut with big tits can get autotuned.

/rant

I want Cannibal Corpse for the Super Bowl Halftime.

that or Rammstein...... i swear, none of these kids i see know what good music, i asked one kid at work today "do you like Black Sabbath?" and he replied with "who?" i nearly slapped a 16 yearold at work the otherday, i was like "this dude needs to listen to some good music, his favorites that he told me where all crappy rap music . i'm 22 and i prefer the old music over the new, and even more so, the german music

Why do you even give a shit about what other people listen to? You're not listening to it, so it shouldn't matter to you. Nobody likes an elitist prick.

German music?

Scorpions or Accept?

both are great bands BTW ;D i've been listening to alot of German Metal recently like Rammstein, OOMPH! and Megaherz. some of my other favorite bands are Dio, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Staind, Seether, Evanescence, Rob/White Zombie, and so many older bands, i miss the music we had in the 90's most, it was better than the crap we have now, oh and ...
Ronnie James Dio > any other singer out there

Mainstream Music has gone down the tubes and I honestly don't give a shit. Rap is Crap but that's all most kids listen to these days, all the while sagging their pants and speaking in ebonics while all the little tramps around them twerk their asses off and try to be ratchet as humanly possible----and these are pretty much upper crust white kids who've had EVERYTHING handed to them on a silver platter without ever having to earn anything.

I guarantee you if I throw something like THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-rap0WhqSU

there way they'll whine, they'll cry, they'll run to the hills, and some may even bravado up, act tough, act "gangsta", and say that it's "pussy white boy music", or that it's "old people music that only old people listen to". Let me tell you all, nobody's going to remember Kanye West or Lil' Wayne or Ariana Grande in 20 years, nobody, nobody remembers MC Hammer and he was HUGE back in the early 1990s and none of these brats can name one NWA song outside of "Straight outta Compton."

Yet, everybody knows who Led Zepplin is, everybody's heard "Enter Sandman", and everybody knows that Ozzy Osbourne has a speech impediment. Rock has staying power and it will rise again. There's already birth-pangs signaling classic metal and hard rock resurgence all across Europe and Asia, they've been drowning in the electric den of Rap/Pop/Electronica since the late 90s and they're finally sick of it.

People will remember Kanye.
The guy is an asshole, but he's made some great music.

"Through the Wire" will never die. Never

No, I do not think it has been changed for the better because mainstream now-a-days is just autotune and lyrics with no context. But some music that is produced by some older bands I.E Killswitch Engage is still good but it isn't being played on the radio.

So mostly I listen to underground music, and that stuff is great.

That's why I still listen to classic rock, metal and trance/chillstep.

I mostly listen to classic rock and alternative rock. Most singers today can't sing for shit. Listen to Katy Perry live, awful. I think Beyonce is a good singer and even though I don't like her music I can respect her. Modern music has taken all the talent out of music.

I mostly listen to classic rock and alternative rock. Most singers today can't sing for shit. Listen to Katy Perry live, awful. I think Beyonce is a good singer and even though I don't like her music I can respect her. Modern music has taken all the talent out of music.

I agree. There are some good bands out now but nothing I'll be listening to like I did with Nirvana, RHCP, or Radiohead

Don't even get me started on the use of recorded tracks in what is supposed to be a LIVE show! If you want it to sound like the album, then get the hell out of the venue and listen to the god damn album in your own home! Live shows are not supposed to sound like the album AT ALL! Remember, you paid to see an authentic live performance, not a CD listening party with lip-synching and/or finger-synching.

Bands sometimes have to drop their tuning because of the singer (For example: Every Metallica live show since about the mid-to-late 90s has been played in Eb tuning, and with the exception of 2 songs, all of the band's first 5 albums, plus their most recent, were recorded in standard tuning. Megadeth recently started playing live tuned to D in 2012 and recorded their Super Collider album in that same tuning. 12 of the previous 13 albums were recorded in standard tuning. 1994's Youthanasia album was recorded in Eb tuning, yet all songs on that record were still done in the same tuning as the rest of their set when they played those songs live).

Also, bands sometimes use different equipment live than they did in the studio, especially years down the road (for example, Metallica recorded Kill 'Em All on James Hetfield's modded Marshall 1959 SLP amp that was stolen a year later, resulting in Ride The Lightning being recorded on Marshall JCM 800 heads. Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, and I think the Black Album were recorded on the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ amp. Today, James Hetfield uses a Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp, a Mesa Boogie Power Amp, and a Diezel VH4 amp, while Kirk Hammett I believe uses a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and a new signature amp from Randall. Why don't YOU try simulating the tones of the first 5 albums with that equipment without a backing track).