Kotal's skin color?

Quetzalcoatl the same, when on his human form.

I find it interesting the end of Quetzalcoatl (the coatl part) sounds similar to Kotal. Seems like they could have derived his name from Quetzalcoatl. Just like D'Vorah is close to the Hebrew word Deborah, meaning bee or the Arabic term daborah, meaning female hornet.

And who knows maybe it is his skin, but maybe his skin was magically imbued with some sort of ash or something, hence the crusty greenish appearance.

Kotal seems partially inspired by their inclusion of Kratos in the last game (War God variant says hello). For those not in the know, Kratos' skin is covered in ash via a curse. Maybe Kotals' skin is ashen green because of some curse or ritual performed on him.

So it could both be his skin and be covered in something. Being magically grafted to his skin would make it so it wouldn't rub off similar to the ash on Kratos.

Nice! That's a good observation, Viking_Poodle also found interesting the similarity of Kukulkan (Quetzalcoatl) with Kotal's name. It can also be something that he got after an event, but I believe he is a god (all hail Kotal believers lol), that's why I think he is green. We shall see on the story mode!

Kotal's skin is green for the same reason why Shinnok's skin is grey.

I would intend to agree with you if it weren't for the fact you can clearly see that it looks ashen and caked-on.

Open in new tab to enlarge.
MortalKombatX_Kotal_Intro_Snow.jpg

MortalKombatX_Dvorah_Kotal_Market_FlyingSting.jpg

And as I said before, much like Kratos:
747660-Kratos_Headshot.jpg

I would intend to agree with you if it weren't for the fact you can clearly see that it looks ashen and caked-on.

MortalKombatX_Kotal_Intro_Snow.jpg

MortalKombatX_Dvorah_Kotal_Market_FlyingSting.jpg

And as I said before, much like Kratos:
747660-Kratos_Headshot.jpg

One of my friends mentioned Kotal Kahn might paint himself as a form of a ranking style. In some ancient cultures, only the warriors were allowed to wear war paint. It very well could be that in Kotal's culture (when we don't how much Kotal will be based on the Aztecs) the more paint you wear, the higher rank you are. And since he's the emperor of Outworld, that could be his reason for covering virtually every part of his body.

If paint is part of the ranking system, I'd imagine Kotal wears it all the time. Of course, he would still do small touch ups here and there.

Yeah its paint, you can see his skin tone through small cracks and holes in the paint.

Now, the real question is, is the paint applied manually or magically?

Yes it looks like paint on the HD pics....but I don't think it will be explained in the game. It's not even important I think. He is unique because he is green. I don't think we ever will see him human skin coloured in any of the future games.

I've asked Tyler Lansdown about it on Facebook. He just said: "You'll see".

I'm not sure if that's a yes, it's paint, or no, it isn't paint...

I wonder if Kotal's home is that jungle stage? It looks very tribal to me.

Do you have a theory how Kotal's markings are able to shine through that paint?

You know, I still think he is/has become/was possessed by Huitzilopochtli. It's too much coincidence, unless he is just based on the god, but that variations and the word "god" lead me to think that he is.

But seeing so clear that it's paint (his leg is the most obvious to see the cracked painting, his skin color), he becomes more human like to me. Of course he has powers as he seems to be brutally strong (and also, he is taking over the realm that was ruled "only" by Onaga and Shao Kahn), more than a normal human.

About the paiting, well, I can't imagine to the moment something very concrete, but it can be magical painting (the most general answer). What's interesting is that in the end of his thigh, where the painting is almost gone and the shining lines are passing, it seems to be white, not blue, indicating that is really a different kind of painting.

Yet, on the first picture, if you look very close, you see that the division between the paint that does not shine and the one that does is that markings I said could possibly be scarification.

This marks shine for a very interesting purpose, you can be sure of that. Even though they are painted, it's like they're marked on his skin.

You know, I still think he is/has become/was possessed by Huitzilopochtli. It's too much coincidence, unless he is just based on the god, but that variations and the word "god" lead me to think that he is.

But seeing so clear that it's paint (his leg is the most obvious to see the cracked painting, his skin color), he becomes more human like to me. Of course he has powers as he seems to be brutally strong (and also, he is taking over the realm that was ruled "only" by Onaga and Shao Kahn), more than a normal human.

About the paiting, well, I can't imagine to the moment something very concrete, but it can be magical painting (the most general answer). What's interesting is that in the end of his thigh, where the painting is almost gone and the shining lines are passing, it seems to be white, not blue, indicating that is really a different kind of painting.

Yet, on the first picture, if you look very close, you see that the division between the paint that does not shine and the one that does is that markings I said could possibly be scarification.

This marks shine for a very interesting purpose, you can be sure of that. Even though they are painted, it's like they're marked on his skin.

I think I know what you mean. The paint could be like a curse or something, literally making it as a form of skin to him. So if the paint is cut, he bleeds. And since it's part of his skin, and the body markings are part of Kotal's skin, that's why not only the markings shine, but the paint does too. Is that what you mean?

I think I know what you mean. The paint could be like a curse or something, literally making it as a form of skin to him. So if the paint is cut, he bleeds. And since it's part of his skin, and the body markings are part of Kotal's skin, that's why not only the markings shine, but the paint does too. Is that what you mean?

Not exactly the paint is part of him. I don't believe it's a curse (but it can obviously be!), but that shining part is under the green paint that covers most of his body. Yet, it shines through it, it has its own markings, and most interesting of all, it appears where the green paint is partially gone.

It also seems to be painted, but with another kind of paint. This picture that I enchanced the view (and the quality is not "good" to be the best, ironically as it could be, but seeing the pixels is better).

kkl.jpg

We can see that something (probally sweat) has made the major paint (the green one) vanish on his leg and not on the markings. Yet, we see some pixels of his skin color on the white part of the shining painting where it's almost gone the major one.

It's all painted, but the markings seems to be of his own skin (or maybe they are designed taking away the paiting, drawning them after paiting everything) and are painted in a different way.

Anyway, that markings are special to shine. Looks like something evil.

Has anyone noticed the marking on the tiger leg? Totally looks like Argus' family

Also in the latest partial video
Kotal took it to some of the Tarkatan Warriors in a beautiful fashion!
Also in his Sun God Variant we finally see the Snakes on his back are actually used as Bladed Weapons. Very cool!