Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kotal Kahn's alignment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Kotal Kahn's alignment

I think he's obviously unearthly in nature, perhaps he's the protector god of yet ANOTHER realm? someplace new? I'd say his obvious similarities to Aztec gods would be easily explained by him sort of visiting or "invading" earthrealm in ancient times and being worshipped as a god, but that much be cutting it a bit TOO close to Ogre from Tekken with the whole alien thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think he'll probably be evil or neutral. It just feels that way. Of course, if they can write it well, him being good would make an excellent surprise.

Ruler of NetherRealm Aldo Moreno's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Asm_254
    PSN
    Asm_Liu_Kang_254
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

It'd be cool if he's neutral. Not giving any shits of what happens, just protecting outworld at any cost.
    The Emperor, Liu Kang.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Is D'Vorah a evil character? i think i heard someone say she is, and i know Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah are friends so, evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's the new emperor of Outworld. Kahn is the title like Khan

PSN
    jdnice11
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Im curious to Kotal Kahn's alignment. Just by some of the dialogue with other chartacters, he doesn't seem all that bad..
    Ex. Between him and Ferra/Torr, "Ferra says something like, you wish to enslave us, and Kotal responds, I wish to restore your people"

I know that its only one dialogue of many but its interesting to me.

I think it would be an interesting twist IF he is perceived as this Malevolent ruler of Outworld, but ultimately is a good guy trying to bring Outworld to its former glory of peace and beauty.

I know its highly unlikely but i find it interesting

I DON'T do FAIR

PSN
    jdnice11
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

In the MK Stream Reveal today, we heard the Dialogue between Ermac and Kotal Kahn...
    Kotal- I thought us allies Ermac
    Ermac- We will oppose the Emperor
    Kotal- Now you will perish

Interesting to me. I just don;t think Kotal Kahn is a completely Evil Guy. Maybe more of a Neutral like i've been thinking!

Thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling_Toaster
    - Is D'Vorah a evil character? i think i heard someone say she is, and i know Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah are friends so, evil.
    I don't think Kotal is truly evil...D'Vorah on the other Hand seems to be more hot headed and unpredictable. So it wouldn't surprise me if she is more evil than neutral. Also, i think just by how she is portayed in the Comics, I can see her being the reason Kotal has his "Fall"
    Last edited by jdnice11; 02-02-2015 at 09:04 PM.

I DON'T do FAIR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apparently Kotal Kahn's name is a play on the Quetzalcoatl, a Mesoamerican deity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about... Kotal Kahn, The Dragon King!!!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

In case anyone's not following the comics:

Kotal Kahn is a son of Outworld who was banished to Earthrealm, and helped the Aztecs to resist the Spanish Conquistadores. He guided the Aztecs. After becoming a true warrior, he went back to Outworld, but his father didn't like the way he was: a leader, not a brutal killer and dictator.
    I think Kotal Kahn's a pretty cool guy. He fights Conquistadors and does not afraid of anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

it also shows Kotal as a young man before becoming worshiped by the aztecs, he appears to be the outworld equivalent of african, as he has kinky hair. hmmmm don't know if i like the way they picked apart aztec culture like that.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sub-one View Post
    hmmmm don't know if i like the way they picked apart aztec culture like that.
    Picked apart in what sense?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p.W View Post
    Picked apart in what sense?
    in the sense that in most cases people native to the americas' culture and image is always undermined and they are always portrayed as being saved by a "great white hope" in this case he's an outworlder, but you get my drift. here they are worshiping some "alien" more or less. Kinda gets tiring to see Native Americans so poorly represented still. Nightwolf was a terrible stereotype that was so hokey and corny it was almost unbelievable they got away with it. just kinda sucks. I was hoping that for once a Native character would be portrayed in a powerful sense, guess not. Kotal is african or some outworld equivalent.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

in the sense that in most cases people native to the americas' culture and image is always undermined and they are always portrayed as being saved by a "great white hope" in this case he's an outworlder, but you get my drift. here they are worshiping some "alien" more or less. Kinda gets tiring to see Native Americans so poorly represented still. Nightwolf was a terrible stereotype that was so hokey and corny it was almost unbelievable they got away with it. just kinda sucks
    What chance did Nightwolf have, representing less than 1% of America's population, when all the women are running around with EE-size breasts and no bras? Honestly.

Is it so wrong for a game to suppose that a pre-industrial civilization's god was based on a supernatural alien being, though? Kotal's pretty far from a white guy, and he doesn't have traditional 21st century Western values. I don't think this is anywhere near as insensitive as Nightwolf's portrayal.

Special Forces Agent Yellow Ledbetter's Avatar
    PSN
    AMULETofSHINNOK
    Steam
    YellowLedbetter
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

in the sense that in most cases people native to the americas' culture and image is always undermined and they are always portrayed as being saved by a "great white hope" in this case he's an outworlder, but you get my drift. here they are worshiping some "alien" more or less. Kinda gets tiring to see Native Americans so poorly represented still. Nightwolf was a terrible stereotype that was so hokey and corny it was almost unbelievable they got away with it. just kinda sucks. I was hoping that for once a Native character would be portrayed in a powerful sense, guess not. Kotal is african or some outworld equivalent.
    I see it another way.

I am american, I'm brazilian and I'm tired of seeing people from latin america, specifically mesoamerican people, being saved by "the holy heros white christians" and theirs crosses and diseases. Really tired. I want to see the sides of civilizations here.

Surely Kotal was not that. He comes from another world. That is interesting, because it puts a little fire on that myths about where the aztec gods came from. And Kotal is NOT white. He paints himself, right? And we can see he is exactly like a mesoamerican guy.

I don't see him saving them, he kinda saved himself coming here. And the white spaniards and their crosses...they were depicted as the villains. Diseases, cultural opression, murderer and rape killed our people. Kotal went there and tried to live, among them.

Yet, he had to go back to his natural people. Wasn't accepted, because he learned HERE to be good. Aztecs were guys who did sacrificed lots (LOTS) of people and conquered others. But we don't know Kotal's experiences. I think here he learned to be a leader.

Kotal Kahn is one of the most prominent and exciting faces of the new generation of Mortal Kombat IMO. He is not a savior, he is a survivor.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

He isn't even evil either it kind of crazy that he's labeled a villain, but I guess that's just because he's originally from out world. When he was first introduced I thought him to be an arrogant new villein trying to take over earth. He doesn't even want earth realm he's more concerned about restoring his own world. Even asking for help from earths special forces. He really is a great character.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to siy1337 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ledbetter View Post
    I see it another way.

I am american, I'm brazilian and I'm tired of seeing people from latin america, specifically mesoamerican people, being saved by "the holy heros white christians" and theirs crosses and diseases. Really tired. I want to see the sides of civilizations here.

Surely Kotal was not that. He comes from another world. That is interesting, because it puts a little fire on that myths about where the aztec gods came from. And Kotal is NOT white. He paints himself, right? And we can see he is exactly like a mesoamerican guy.

I don't see him saving them, he kinda saved himself coming here. And the white spaniards and their crosses...they were depicted as the villains. Diseases, cultural opression, murderer and rape killed our people. Kotal went there and tried to live, among them.

Yet, he had to go back to his natural people. Wasn't accepted, because he learned HERE to be good. Aztecs were guys who did sacrificed lots (LOTS) of people and conquered others. But we don't know Kotal's experiences. I think here he learned to be a leader.

Kotal Kahn is one of the most prominent and exciting faces of the new generation of Mortal Kombat IMO. He is not a savior, he is a survivor.
    the only problem is they didnt make Kotal Mezo American, they made him black! wtf is that about.

i'm posting a link for you to see, it shows kotal without his headdress

http://insidemk.altervista.org/blog/...02/MKXC6-2.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p.W View Post
    What chance did Nightwolf have, representing less than 1% of America's population, when all the women are running around with EE-size breasts and no bras? Honestly.

Is it so wrong for a game to suppose that a pre-industrial civilization's god was based on a supernatural alien being, though? Kotal's pretty far from a white guy, and he doesn't have traditional 21st century Western values. I don't think this is anywhere near as insensitive as Nightwolf's portrayal.
    you'd have to be a Native person to understand the insult. white people always get portrayed as the "great warriors, geniuses, saviors, brave, noble, great people" Black people always get portrayed as "tough, don't mess with me, cool, popular, an unsuspected level of intelligence, great athletes, sexy and so on". Native americans get portrayed as "with feathers and fringe, always talking about spirits, always have to be saved by the "noble white man". its f ucking sickening.

How about they portray the Native in the way he should be, saves the dirty starving diseased refugees from dying of scurvy, teaches them how to bathe, shows them a true sense of freedom, which the refugees have never experienced because they come from oppressive governments. how about it shows natives as fair and just leaders. how about it shows "us" as anything but the bullsh*t thats been indoctrinated into our school curriculum and 70 years worth of hollywood garbage. We were freedom fighters, just the same as William wallace or Robinhood, the only difference is our enemy was the American government, which was equally as oppressive as the British, because they are essentially the same damn people.
    Last edited by sub-one; 02-08-2015 at 06:54 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sub-one For This Useful Post:

PSN
    Romo2Witten1983
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

you'd have to be a Native person to understand the insult. white people always get portrayed as the "great warriors, geniuses, saviors, brave, noble, great people" Black people always get portrayed as "tough, don't mess with me, cool, popular, an unsuspected level of intelligence, great athletes, sexy and so on". Native americans get portrayed as "with feathers and fringe, always talking about spirits, always have to be saved by the "noble white man". its f ucking sickening.

How about they portray the Native in the way he should be, saves the dirty starving diseased refugees from dying of scurvy, teaches them how to bathe, shows them a true sense of freedom, which the refugees have never experienced because they come from oppressive governments. how about it shows natives as fair and just leaders. how about it shows "us" as anything but the bullsh*t thats been indoctrinated into our school curriculum and 70 years worth of hollywood garbage. We were freedom fighters, just the same as William wallace or Robinhood, the only difference is our enemy was the American government, which was equally as oppressive as the British, because they are essentially the same damn people.
    American soldiers are heroes. Enough said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I agree with this entire post. Its just comes from the bullshit we've been taught all our lives About natives, hell even with slavery. they like to try to sweep the Evil of American history under the rug & that is why people should never let it be forgotten. Self righteous. Then they have the nerve to say some bullshit like get over it. Every time I see them mess up the image of another race I just say they don't know any better. Although I know they do it to be funny like its funny to make the Indian a stereotypical Indian or make the black special forces member wear a big gold chain and shoot a gun. Tj combo a fvcking boxer finishing move in ki gold was to pull out a gun and let go of an entire clip. They act like other races don't play these games or watch these shows. Shit is ridiculous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information