MKII VS UMK3 - Let's End this Debate!!!

Which game is better?

• Total voters

SpiDoL

This debate needs no introduction.

Let's just cut right to the chase...

Which game is truly better than the other?

Combos that are in both games do more damage in MKII than in UMK3, so because of that, MKII gets the edge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

UMK3 all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy babyyyyyyyyyy!!! whooot!!! Human AND Cyborg Smoke! all I gotta say!

;)

MK2 - it felt darker to me then umk3. It was the first Mk that I personally owened on game boy of all things lol

My mother banned me from playing Mortal Kombat ANYTHING when the first game came out on consoles. Then my uncle on my dad's side got MKII on Genesis and he let me and my cousins play it; NONE of us knew how to do Fatalities back then. And since I primarily lived with my dad, my mom's MK ban eventually went out the window, so MKII was my first MK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

MK II had true effort behind it. The upgrade from the first game was undeniable, the characters were well done, as were the stages and the soundtrack, Shao Kahn was insane as a boss (possibly the first true BOSS in a fighting game, if you get what I mean) and the fatalities had thoughts behind them, to name a few of the pros. There were also the secret characters - how can anyone forget seeing Jade and Smoke hiding behind the Living Forest's trees and dropping by to leave hints on how to find 'em? That was awesome.

MK3 (and its updates) was nice and is the last of the classic games, but it's hard to take it seriously when compared to the previous two games, especially MK II. The "alities" contained lots of silly stuff and were all cut-and-paste jobs, unlike previous games where the animations were unique. Plus it's hard to enjoy some of the new actors... I am aware of why they had to change the ninjas and so on but John Turk just didn't feel right as Shang Tsung, for instance. At least the new characters were based on elements present on the series and not... err, vampires or anything like that. Oh, and they gave Shao Kahn the "it's official: you suck" line, that was great I must admit.

MK II is my choice, no doubt.

MKII has better atmosphere (music, stages) characters and Fatalities. But I also love UMK3. I played it a lot and I can't say which one I like more. The only thing I don't like about UMK3 is the fact that the added characters seem a little bit unfinished, especially the Animalities. Reptile turns into a monkey, wtf? Scorpion is a pinguin, why? On SEGA Genisis I liked MK3 more than UMK3 because it was a bad port. My two favorite MK games, though.

The art and atmosphere of MKII is a lot better, the fatalities are generally better and music is easily my favorite in the series.

BUT... UMK3's mechanics, juggles and varied characters are a lot better than anything in MKII. I've played more of it than almost any game ever, and anyone who spends any real time (like literally months of their life directly spent playing) can see that the gameplay in UMK3 is better. The gameplay is so good that, up until MK9, it was essentially the only MK that high level players played.

The art and atmosphere of MKII is a lot better, the fatalities are generally better and music is easily my favorite in the series.

BUT... UMK3's mechanics, juggles and varied characters are a lot better than anything in MKII. I've played more of it than almost any game ever, and anyone who spends any real time (like literally months of their life directly spent playing) can see that the gameplay in UMK3 is better. The gameplay is so good that, up until MK9, it was essentially the only MK that high level players played.
Basically this.

Which is why UMK3 will always be better for high level players, and MKII will always be better for shitty players who just love MK, like me.

So there will never be a "once and for all" resolution to the question. It's entirely dependent on perspective.

MK 2 is my favorite out of the 2. I think there's more to UMK3 to be honest. I could never get the hang of the run button and timing things right on it. Dial-A-Kombo was a good step in my opinion.

I just think MK2 had the best characters and presentation alongside MK1. MK3, it started to show they were running out of ideas or time with designs etc. I find some of the ideas in MK3 akin to Rocky 5 where they completely changed the formula( swapping cheesey rock music for rap, where in MK3 they took the kung fu aspects out and made it very Sci Fi), but kept a few constants.

Mk2 without discusion!

But also it have one of the better martials coreographies with mk1 game, and this was teached and showed by Dan Pesina. The designs are flawless by Tobias ´s hand. Also this title had the most rumors and secrets with urban lege0nds. The onlyone bad things is that some detail was the begin for that to the next mk titles begin to have worse errors. all is better in mk2.

If you find my opinion wrong, by all means refute it. But if I am correct why take it out on me?
I'm not mad at you and didn't mean to attack you. I just don't think saying "MKII is only for shitty fans" was necessary. But thank you, I will refute that.

I'm not the best MK player in the world. I already know that. But I'm not the worst either. Actually, I recently achieved a 10-match winning streak against the MKII AI using Sub-Zero. I almost even beat the game without having to continue, losing only to Scorpion and Shao Kahn, who were easily defeated thereafter. I even got to see that secret staff portrait screen you only get to see if you DO beat the game without continuing. Impressive?

I'm not mad at you and didn't mean to attack you. I just don't think saying "MKII is only for shitty fans" was necessary. But thank you, I will refute that.

I'm not the best MK player in the world. I already know that. But I'm not the worst either. Actually, I recently achieved a 10-match winning streak against the MKII AI using Sub-Zero. I almost even beat the game without having to continue, losing only to Scorpion and Shao Kahn, who were easily defeated thereafter. I even got to see that secret staff portrait screen you only get to see if you DO beat the game without continuing. Impressive?
Actually no. Beating the AI is not as impressive as beating good human opponents. Is it more impressive to beat the MKII AI than the AI in more recent MK's? Sure. But it's nothing like beating a quality human opponent. I can beat the MKII AI too. That doesn't make me any good either.