• Yes

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • 1 or 2 remain hidden

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters

MK_Reaper

I vote yes I really liked having to unlock characters and guessing who was in the icon and I kinda miss doing so. I remember in MKDA and MKD the craze of everyone trying to find out and unlock the characters. But at the same time could be a pain for the competitive side of MK I know I would want to hit the training mode with all characters right off the bat

I'd wager since it's MK most of the characters will be unlocked except for a select few. MK9 had most of the roster unlocked except for major spoiler characters, Cyber Sub-Zero and Quan Chi.

I would like for most roster to be unlocked but have like 3-5 characters where you need to unlock them.

Only a small number of characters should need to be unlocked. How about bosses are playable, but they must be unlocked through Story Mode? Just don't make Shinnok playable from the start like they did in MK4. To be honest, that lowered the prestige of the boss character. It was the same with Goro if I remember correctly.

Only a small number of characters should need to be unlocked. How about bosses are playable, but they must be unlocked through Story Mode? Just don't make Shinnok playable from the start like they did in MK4. To be honest, that lowered the prestige of the boss character. It was the same with Goro if I remember correctly.

I definitely want boss characters to be playable. Obviously not for online use - but for single player only.

2 very powerful unlockable characters are good. The rest should be selectable already and DLC.

The woman in Jade's ending can be one of the secret characters.

I vote yes I really liked having to unlock characters and guessing who was in the icon and I kinda miss doing so. I remember in MKDA and MKD the craze of everyone trying to find out and unlock the characters. But at the same time could be a pain for the competitive side of MK I know I would want to hit the training mode with all characters right off the bat

So do I, but I have a difficult time believing the entire roster wouldn't be fully available to look at (at your own prerogative) well before launch. The internet has truly spoiled the element of surprise.

I have a hard time believing Generation DLC would be able to accept a game that requires 8+ unlocks (any less and it's just one run through Story Mode type stuff, IMO).

I'm on the fence about it.

The MK fan in me wants to start off with one character and unlock the 20+ others (exaggeration obviously) through insane challenges and cryptic methods.

But the fighting game fan in me wants most of the roster unlocked.

I know that I personally hate playing as characters I don't like to unlock the one character that I do. I probably wouldn't buy a Tekken game that made me play as lame ass Lars to unlock King. So for the sake of people who aren't as big on MK as I am, I vote keep it unlocked.

Most of you probably know my stance on this.

MK:DA/MK:D unlocking system? I'd be sold on the game without even needing to see Gameplay Videos.

Lars really is lame.

Lol yeah. I never really liked him - they pushed him a lot though.

Anyway, I forgot how the competitive gaming perspective was on this. Maybe you can have all the unlocked characters in practice mode, but have to Krypt unlock the characters for: their ladder, to play them online, to play locally, etc..

When I was young and had more time on my hands, unlocking content served as short term goals to work for. Nowadays, I don't care to jump through major hoops to unlock a significant portion of the roster. I didn't mind simple conditions like beating Arcade Mode in Tekken, but stuff like beating the unforgiving quest mode in Tobal was pain in the ass.

Last edited:
This is why I suggested NRS should have an option to choose your gaming experience when you boot up the game for the first time. For competitive players, they can choose competitive mode, with most of the game unlocked. For Story/single player mode oriented players, they can choose "unlockable mode". And just to make sure people stick with their choice, NRS should make this a one time choice, and in order to change it, you'll have to delete your entire game save.

Could be the Next-Gen Choose Your Destiny ;)

No 1 or 2 characters hidden is enough. If someone wants to unlock the whole roster then don't play the characters and complete your own imaginary goals to "unlock" them.

No 1 or 2 characters hidden is enough. If someone wants to unlock the whole roster then don't play the characters and complete your own imaginary goals to "unlock" them.

No one ever said we wanted the entire roster to be unlockable... Talking about an amount similar to MK:DA/MK:D.

I'd wager since it's MK most of the characters will be unlocked except for a select few. MK9 had most of the roster unlocked except for major spoiler characters, Cyber Sub-Zero and Quan Chi.

This.
Aside from 1 or 2 characters in MK X, I'd prefer if the rest of the roster was unlocked from the start.