Variation Discussion

Immortal Reaver

Which variation looks good to you guys so far? Any good tactics thought up yet?

- Cryomancer: Adds the ability to summon Ice Weapons.
- Unbreakable: Adds Frozen Aura and Barrier of Frost.
- Grandmaster: Adds Ice Clone that can be thrown or used as a shield.

Well I'm pretty sure that Cryomancer got blue arms, Unbreakable gets the ice mask, and Grandmaster gets the medallion on his chest.

I obviously want to try them all, but I think I'd mostly use Cryomancer. I play a really aggressive Sub-Zero in MK9. I think most people will pick Grandmaster.

Sub Zero's xray attack is initiated in similar way to Johnny Cage's from MK9, which is very irritating because its like a counter. I've hit Johnny Cage's xray very few times because whenever i hit the buttons, the opponent just backs off. I hope they change this and also it did only 31% damage which is quite low for an xray attack.

P. S.: I am a new member so may be thats why i cant creat a new thread to post about this so I'm just posting it here.

Grandmaster all the way, I think that variation would play similar to Sub in MK9. I can't wait to get my hands on this game and just grind it out in the Lab. I'm hoping training mode is just as good or better than Injustice's training mode.

The Lackey Variation for Torr looks like it'll be the go-to variation for people who want the most damage with Torr; obviously I haven't played MKX but it seems like he had a lot more moves.

Spec Ops Cassie is gonna be purty good zoning wise too; I wonder if they'll speed up the missiles in the final version or will they keep it like Lex's Laser in Injustice. I really wanna see her Hollywood variation to see how the Air Akimbos work; I wonder if they are like DS's air guns (straight across) or like Deadpool's air guns from Marvel (diagonal angle).

I'd use Grandmaster Sub just because I could throw Ice clones lol. Also I agree with Subvert, if Sub's X-ray ends up being a counter, it should definitely do more damage than the other X-rays.

Cassie's Air fireball @1:12, Just like Death Strokes. I respect it, I want to see the Instant Air version of it though.

I'd use Grandmaster Sub just because I could throw Ice clones lol. Also I agree with Subvert, if Sub's X-ray ends up being a counter, it should definitely do more damage than the other X-rays.

I really hope that it doesn't end up being a counter X-Ray, like Johnny's MK9, in the final build of MK X.

I couldn't stand that Johnny's X-Ray was defensive, and didn't allow for combo-ing into it.

Cassie's Air fireball @1:12, Just like Death Strokes. I respect it, I want to see the Instant Air version of it though.

Oh nice; yeah the IA version will be interesting. If Cassie had air akimbos with her Spec Ops variation that would have been purty cool; oh well. Haven't seen this vid, thanks for posting it!

I really hope that it doesn't end up being a counter X-Ray, like Johnny's MK9, in the final build of MK X.

I couldn't stand that Johnny's X-Ray was defensive, and didn't allow for combo-ing into it.

Yeah, it never made sense imo that Johnny Cage, a rushdown character, has a parry for his strongest move. Personally I hope he doesn't either; I'd rather them make a new character centered around a defensive playstyle with parries and the ability to give themselves defense buffs.

Does anyone know what Kotal's totems do in his Blood God variation? They look really interesting but I have no idea what they do lol.

Just my prospective, but I like the Counter X-ray better. Assuming that his overall gameplay is defensive, I feel that it causes your opponent to respect you fullscreen and up close. I also think that comboing into it isn't a huge deal because if they have full stamina and a breaker on deck you lost all of your meter and if the other person was sitting on X-ray they now have the meter advantage.

Sub Zero's xray attack is initiated in similar way to Johnny Cage's from MK9, which is very irritating because its like a counter. I've hit Johnny Cage's xray very few times because whenever i hit the buttons, the opponent just backs off. I hope they change this and also it did only 31% damage which is quite low for an xray attack.

P. S.: I am a new member so may be thats why i cant creat a new thread to post about this so I'm just posting it here.

You need to learn to use it right. I hit about 90% of my attempts using Johnny's x-ray. Just use it when you know a hit is coming up, like in the middle of a string or after a jump in or something like that.

And it makes johnny's pressure better if the opponent is reluctant to poke out of it because of the x-ray risk.

Just my prospective, but I like the Counter X-ray better. Assuming that his overall gameplay is defensive, I feel that it causes your opponent to respect you fullscreen and up close. I also think that comboing into it isn't a huge deal because if they have full stamina and a breaker on deck you lost all of your meter and if the other person was sitting on X-ray they now have the meter advantage.

That's the thing, though.

His gameplay videos didn't seem completely defensive, which would be terrible having a Counter X-Ray for a rush-down variation.
At least 1 of Sub-Zero's variations seemed to be a rush-down variation, with the other being a defensive variation, and the 3rd possibly being a mix of the 2 variations (not 100% sure on the 3rd one being a mix).
^^
If that's the case, then I'd hate for his X-Ray to be a Counter for his rush-down, as I couldn't stand slow defensive MK9 Sub-Zero and would rather use a rush down version of him in MK X.

That's the thing, though.

His gameplay videos didn't seem completely defensive, which would be terrible having a Counter X-Ray for a rush-down variation.
At least 1 of Sub-Zero's variations seemed to be a rush-down variation, with the other being a defensive variation, and the 3rd possibly being a mix of the 2 variations (not 100% sure on the 3rd one being a mix).
^^
If that's the case, then I'd hate for his X-Ray to be a Counter for his rush-down, as I couldn't stand slow defensive MK9 Sub-Zero and would rather use a rush down version of him in MK X.

Honestly, A Rush Down character/Variant having a counter would be God-like. Like Kzaoo stated, in this thread. If you're reading a poke to break Sub's pressure they eat a X-ray, You can also interrupt strings with gaps in them for damage, and you can punish anticipated jump ins from playing keepaway for damage and positioning to play lame, so either way Defensive or Offensive the counter would benefit Sub's overall gameplay.

If I had my custom character it'd be like this with the following style.

All my styles would involve a knife, a 45 caliber pistol, and hand-to-hand combat.

1. Shocking Whip: It'd be attacks with a cattle prod and a fatality involving the cattle prod being shoved in a victim's mouth while shocking him to death until he burns all over his body.
2. Nasty Impaler: It'd be attacks using a Yari (a spear type of weapon) and would involve have a fatality involving the staff being shoved in the victim's rectum.
3. Chainsaw Freak: It'd be attacks with a chainsaw that would have a fatality that'd involve vertically cutting the victim in half.