Let's discuss possible SubZero storylines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with [MENTION=4889]BBBLP[/MENTION] here... This continued speculation over weeks old information is getting really stale. They really need to reveal some more info ASAP.

I'm with [MENTION=4889]BBBLP[/MENTION] here... This continued speculation over weeks old information is getting really stale. They really need to reveal some more info ASAP.
Until then, I'll assume it's Shang Tsung.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You are literally contradicting yourself here. So, MK4 may not happen (even though nothing has changed to say it won't), but Bi-Han is going to take a DIRECT plotline from Deception? I mean DIRECT.

Shao Kahn was MIA after MK3 as well, and guess what MK9 showed us? Shinnok and Quan Chi both planning to take over Outworld and Earthrealm.

Also, I don't want to see Scorpion and Bi-Han team up. They always hated each other. Legacy is the only version who ever tried to spin a different story. Bi-Han murdered Hanzo while he was begging for his life. He always hated the rival clan (Shirai Ryu), that wasn't just Quan's doing.

No, I'm not contradicting myself.
Bi-Han being cleansed in the Soulnado or becoming the Elder Gods' champion this time instead of Scorpion, is very possible, considering that Bi-Han is neither dead or alive at the moment.
His whereabouts are unknown.

Yes, and the only thing that we know for now is that Quan Chi and Shinnok are likely to show up.
That part of MK4 is true.
Everything else is MERE speculation.
I'm just saying that MK4 may or may not happen in its entirety, given that Ed said that MK X was going to have a new original story.

Scorpion and Bi-Han teaming up or Scorpion and a new Sub-Zero teaming up makes the most sense, IMO.
Scorpion and Kuai makes less sense, IMO, because Scorpion never had beef with Kuai, as MK9 has shown.
Kuai had beef with Scorpion, but Scorpion never bothered with Kuai in MK9.
Scorpion's only personal beef in MK9 was with Bi-Han, so it makes sense that those 2 bury the hatchet to take out a bigger common enemy, Quan Chi.

Why does it not make sense for Scorpion to be like"Hmm, maybe this guy isn't a douche like his brother was?"

Oh and again he's now taking Scorpion's direct storyline from Deception in your theory. Elder gods save him and everything. They also make him their champion. Then he also takes over as grandmaster I'm assuming as well? So, he also takes Kuai's story. Damn, is there anything he can't do?

I mean what part of that should you REALLY like anyway? Do you not want Bi-Han to be his own original character? In the way you describe him coming back he just takes everybody's storylines. He's not original at all. In that way they might as well just say "Yeah we put Bi-Han back in because we wanted to."

Why does it not make sense for Scorpion to be like"Hmm, maybe this guy isn't a douche like his brother was?"

Oh and again he's now taking Scorpion's direct storyline from Deception in your theory. Elder gods save him and everything. They also make him their champion. Then he also takes over as grandmaster I'm assuming as well? So, he also takes Kuai's story. Damn, is there anything he can't do?

I mean what part of that should you REALLY like anyway? Do you not want Bi-Han to be his own original character? In the way you describe him coming back he just takes everybody's storylines. He's not original at all. In that way they might as well just say "Yeah we put Bi-Han back in because we wanted to."

Possible, but Scorpion has no personal quarrel with him.

I never said Grandmaster, nor did I imply it, but Bi-Han coming back cleansed from the Soulndao as a Champion / Weapon for the elder gods, to serve a greater purpose that they have in mind, is also possible.

I do want him to have his own story, but Bi-Han teaming up with Scorpion to take down Quan Chi actually improves BOTH Scorpion and Sub-Zero's story, while going away from the same "You killed my family." "MURDERER!" "I tire of maintaining our innocence." bullshit, tired and repeated storyline that's been there since 1992.

You're speaking of my theory. Yes, it implies that NRS put Bi-Han because they wanted to make him back. But its true for all characters in any game.
Nevertheless, this theory explains the words of Scorpion in the trailer, and why there is a non cyber ninja lin kuei.

I never said Grandmaster, nor did I imply it, but Bi-Han coming back cleansed from the Soulndao as a Champion / Weapon for the elder gods, to serve a greater purpose that they have in mind, is also possible.

I do want him to have his own story, but Bi-Han teaming up with Scorpion to take down Quan Chi actually improves BOTH Scorpion and Sub-Zero's story, while going away from the same "You killed my family." "MURDERER!" "I tire of maintaining our innocence." bullshit, tired and repeated storyline that's been there since 1992.
To be fair, they actually have trailed off the revenge theme for those 2 characters on 2 occasions; MKII-MK3, when they had Scorpion guard Kuai Liang as atonement for killing Bi-Han (which fell apart in MK4 when Kuai Liang ended up being framed for the Shirai Ryu Massacre just as Bi-Han himself had) and again after MK4 when they had Quan Chi admit his treachery to Scorpion himself.

They've done it twice before. They can do so again.

To be fair, they actually have trailed off the revenge theme for those 2 characters on 2 occasions; MKII-MK3, when they had Scorpion guard Kuai Liang as atonement for killing Bi-Han (which fell apart in MK4 when Kuai Liang ended up being framed for the Shirai Ryu Massacre just as Bi-Han himself had) and again after MK4 when they had Quan Chi admit his treachery to Scorpion himself.

They've done it twice before. They can do so again.

Except that MKX has NOTHING to do with MK1 thru UMK3 of the original timeline.
MK9 is where MK X is continuing from, not MK1 thru UMK3 of the old timeline.

In MK9, Scorpion has NO personal quarrel with Kuai-Liang, which is where MK X is continuing from.
Scorpion is indifferent towards Kuai-Liang in MK9, and doesn't care either way.

It would be so nice to finally see there story come to something like this. The only problem is, what would come next?

What I want to understand however is what motivated Kuai to go after Scorpion in the first place. Alternate Timeline or not, until that point, the flow of time was essentially the same.

Unless it was a retcon, as NRS did with the fact that Kuai and Han were abducted as children, as opposed to having a Lin Kuei Dad/American Mom, I see ZERO reason for Kuai going after Scorpion in the new timeline when he didn't in the previous timeline.

It would be so nice to finally see there story come to something like this. The only problem is, what would come next?

If they teamed up to take down Quan Chi, the possibilities for both characters are open to different things.

i.e. (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY)

Scorpion could battle Noob Saibot (going with the theory that Noob and Bi-Han get separated) for power in the Nether Realm to become the 1 true ruler.

Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) could also become the new protector of Earth Realm, if Raiden ends up going all bat-shit crazy, or even be the new protector of the innocent.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if this new Sub-Zero was a NEW Sub-Zero, who is either a student or son of either 1 of the brothers, and buried the hatchet with Scorpion, putting his family's innocence to rest and starting a new Sub-Zero chapter.
I just don't want the same rehashed Scorpion / Sub-Zero story that we've heard since 1992 for MK X.

Me neither. It gets stale. Things were getting interesting from MK4 - Deception. I'd be shocked if they didn't do any development here in MKX.

@Taj
It is a retcon.

Scorpion saw Kuai Liang spare someone's life in MK2. That's how he knew they were completely different. Scorpion then vowed to protect Kuai up until MK4 when Quan convinced Scorpion that Kuai was the murderer of his family.

Hell, in a bio or comic (can't remember where exactly) Kuai makes sure to state he is not his brother. Leading to believe the two brothers weren't that close. Mk9 retconned that though.

@ Araknyd

You stated exactly why it makes sense to team Kuai and Scorpion up. They're indifferent towards each other. Scorpion and Bi-Han hated each other in life. Why would they want to team up?

While the old timeline only exists in the parts you want it to still exist, It was hinted that Scorpion and Kuai could be allies in the old timeline. Since we're throwing out COULDS, Scorpion could feel the same way again. Especially since Kuai probably doesn't even know that his brother murdered Scorpion in life. They both have a lot of truths left to figure out.

The ONLY reason people are saying it's more likely to be Bi-Han is because Kuai is cyber. I gurantee if they showed him as a human then nobody would bat an eyelash. Did Quan Chi not create a new body for Noob Saibot? And last I checked Kuai is in Quan's possession and his name was STILL Sub-Zero. Did Kitana stop being Kitana or Jax stop being Jax?

@ Araknyd

You stated exactly why it makes sense to team Kuai and Scorpion up. They're indifferent towards each other. Scorpion and Bi-Han hated each other in life. Why would they want to team up?

Kuai and Scorpion teaming up doesn't make sense, as they have no reason to team up.
In MK9, Scorpion wanted nothing to do with Kuai.
Bi-Han and Scorpion have a long history of hate, that can be relieved and put to rest, if they team up to take out a common enemy.
As I've said before, to bury the hatchet.
Plain and simple.
Scorpion finds out from Raiden that Bi-Han didn't kill his family, and Scorpion unites with Bi-Han for 1 time, kill Quan Chi.
Then they go their own separate ways, instead of constantly going with the 1992 Scorpion / Sub-Zero rivalry story.

While the old timeline only exists in the parts you want it to still exist, It was hinted that Scorpion and Kuai could be allies in the old timeline. Since we're throwing out COULDS, Scorpion could feel the same way again. Especially since Kuai probably doesn't even know that his brother murdered Scorpion in life. They both have a lot of truths left to figure out.

No.
The old timeline doesn't exist anymore, which is the point that you're missing.
From now on MK9 is the starting point for MK X.
Scorpion and Kuai from the old (MK1 thru MK: A) timeline have NOTHING to do with Scorpion and Kuai in the current (MK9) timeline.
Scorpion could, but there is nothing hinting from MK9 that hints that Scorpion would want anything to do with Kuai.
Scorpion, whether it was because of his family and clan not being brought back (and breaking his promise with Raiden) or whether it was because of the act of killing Bi-Han in MK9, did feel some remorse.
Scorpion has more of a reason to unite with Bi-Han and let bygones be bygones, than he does with Kuai.

The ONLY reason people are saying it's more likely to be Bi-Han is because Kuai is cyber. I gurantee if they showed him as a human then nobody would bat an eyelash. Did Quan Chi not create a new body for Noob Saibot? And last I checked Kuai is in Quan's possession and his name was STILL Sub-Zero. Did Kitana stop being Kitana or Jax stop being Jax?

No.
The reason that people are saying Bi-Han is because it sounds like his voice in his MK X battle cry intro and it sounds like his "don't give a crap" / ruthless attitude, which was different from Kuai's personality.
The MK X battle intro Sub-Zero sounds very much like Bi-Han / Noob Saibot, not Kuai.
Also, his name was really Cyber Sub-Zero, and last time I checked "Sub-Zero" was just a title used in the Cryomancer race.
Bi-Han was the 5th Sub-Zero and Kuai was the 6th Sub-Zero, if we're getting all technical.

Last edited:
What I want to understand however is what motivated Kuai to go after Scorpion in the first place. Alternate Timeline or not, until that point, the flow of time was essentially the same.

Unless it was a retcon, as NRS did with the fact that Kuai and Han were abducted as children, as opposed to having a Lin Kuei Dad/American Mom, I see ZERO reason for Kuai going after Scorpion in the new timeline when he didn't in the previous timeline.

Scorpion killed his brother in both timelines. And he had no idea of Quan Chi's role in his brother's death in the new timeline.

Who were the Sub-Zeros before Bi Han?:???:

According to John Vogel, the Sub-Zero who taught the freezing abilities to Shujinko in his youth, was not Bi-Han or Kuai Liang but an ancestor of them.
Meaning, father or grandfather.
The Sub-Zero brothers came from a Cryomancer father and human mother (also canon in MK9).
I heard it before in an interview that Bi-Han was the 5th person to use the "Sub-Zero" moniker (going to have to do some more searching and find the interview).

Also, Ed Boon hinted that MKX Sub-Zero could be another person in the Link Kuei, in the E3 Gamespot interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.