MKX Final Box Art Revealed

Well, it's not meant for you. You're a hardcore fan, someone who is going to buy Mortal Kombat regardless of whether it has Winnie the Pooh on the box or if it's a blank cover with the words "Mortal Kombat" written on it in silver Sharpie.

This is for the guy who played that one time back in the 90s on the SNES, or the kid who grew out of the series and last played MK4 at the bowling alley. Something instantly recognizable that requires minimal thought to determine what you're getting yourself into.

We see a dead horse being beaten with more Scorpion-championing, they go "aw man, I love Scorpion, he's so cool...I need to buy this game!"

Also in this "not meant for hardcore fans" category: CGI sizzle trailers like the one every fan forum was overanalyzing not but a short while ago.

I'm pretty damn sure that this has become a universal symbol for Mortal Kombat over the past 22 years:

....unless people have been living under a rock for the past 22 years.

Attachments

• MK X logo.png
    MK X logo.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 75
Why is this even being debated? There are smarter, more informed, people who already debated this and determined the cover for the game. There is a huge marketing team behind MK at Warner Bros who made that decision. It's been chosen, it's final until they change their minds.

Wah Wah Wah....The cries of the MK fan.

Get over it. It's the cover of a video game. Jeez.

This is an MK fansite and i am an MK fanatic, passionate about it. I just shared my opinion about the box art with the community. We are gonna buy the game nonetheless

Why is this even being debated? There are smarter, more informed, people who already debated this and determined the cover for the game. There is a huge marketing team behind MK at Warner Bros who made that decision. It's been chosen, it's final until they change their minds.

Because we have opinions too.
At the end of the day, we are all likely going to get the game anyways, but it doesn't mean that we have to agree on every marketing decision that's done.

This is an MK fansite and i am an MK fanatic, passionate about it. I just shared my opinion about the box art with the community. We are gonna buy the game nonetheless

This.

Because it's public thing and this is forum.
We can have and share our opinions right?

Why are we debating ANYTHING then?

Because it's public thing and this is forum.
We can have and share our opinions right?

Why are we debating ANYTHING then?

Sure you can share opinions, but there is a difference between discussing and out right fighting and crying over facts. There is nothing to debate about facts. Lots of people here are fighting over this and "my favorite character should be on the cover" they also saying how "they are much smarter than WB". Guess what, if you were smarter you'd be doing their job. But from these smart people I've yet to see any intelligent discussion about why you shouldn't go with a globally recognizable character for the cover, instead it's just people getting angry and crying about it. And because of that am close to closing the thread.

I stated this on MKO, seeing how there's the same problem with people complaining about how Scorpion is on the cover.

If you don't like it, take the paper out of the box and make your own cover.

I don't have a problem with this cover. I like it, and I am not really a fan of Scorpion. In my opinion, I don't think characters should be on the cover, just the logo. They've done it for such a long time, but if it's because they want to change things up, so let it be. I personally don't mind, because it's not like I'm going to stare at the damn thing longer then ten seconds. Heck, I'm more concerned about the back of the box more than the front. I like to read what the back cover throws at you.

Not to mention, I'll be seeing more of the side of the box more than anything, seeing that's how I have my games looking like on my shelf.

If a cover bothers you that badly, I don't know what to tell you. I find it mind-boggling insane how people are so overworked about some of the things that we've gotten. At least be a little thankful that they're revealing things at all to us this early.

I stated this on MKO, seeing how there's the same problem with people complaining about how Scorpion is on the cover.

I don't have a problem with this cover. I like it, and I am not really a fan of Scorpion. In my opinion, I don't think characters should be on the cover, just the logo. They've done it for such a long time, but if it's because they want to change things up, so let it be. I personally don't mind, because it's not like I'm going to stare at the damn thing longer then ten seconds. Heck, I'm more concerned about the back of the box more than the front. I like to read what the back cover throws at you.

Not to mention, I'll be seeing more of the side of the box more than anything, seeing that's how I have my games looking like on my shelf.

If a cover bothers you that badly, I don't know what to tell you. I find it mind-boggling insane how people are so overworked about some of the things that we've gotten. At least be a little thankful that they're revealing things at all to us this early.

I have a better idea...

If you don't like the cover, don't buy the damn game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I remember not liking the cover they went with for Bioshock Infinite so I replaced it with a custom cover they provided to fans. I ended up seeing that cover all of three times when it's not in my shelf. It matters not for anything but purchasing at the store.

I'm just glad it's not all orange and blue like MK9's cover was.

I have a better idea...

If you don't like the cover, don't buy the damn game.

We know those complaining won't actually do that.

Anyone willing to bet that the Japanese version will be much better?

Does MK even sell well in Japan?

No, not historically but their box art has always been better in a few cases:

Injustice
injustice_gods_among_us_boxart_japan.jpg

MK1+MK2
gb_mk1+2.jpg

That said MK9 was not sold there if I recall correctly.

Like I said, it makes sense for NRS to do this in this day and age, where their expectations are higher than when they were at Midway. We may not like it as diehards, but in order to make MK bigger, they need a symbol to be attached to it. The Dragon Logo isn't enough, an uber popular series has to have a character that has to be instantaneously recognizable even if you're not a fan of the series. Pokemon has Pikachu, Star Wars has Vader, and so on. That character for MK is Scorpion.

It sucks beyond belief, but it's just cover art so I don't really care.

It could have a pony on it and I'd be equally disappointed, since it doesn't affect my gameplay.

I like it, simplicity at its finest. Also, (and maybe this is a separate thread so apologies in advance) but it would be cool to see box art variants... Like 4 (one scorpion, one sub, one kitana, and one smoke). Kind of like that movie "A bugs life" when they did 4 or 5 different box arts.

I like it, simplicity at its finest. Also, (and maybe this is a separate thread so apologies in advance) but it would be cool to see box art variants... Like 4 (one scorpion, one sub, one kitana, and one smoke). Kind of like that movie "A bugs life" when they did 4 or 5 different box arts.
I remember Korn doing the same thing with the Issues album when I was in High School. I even remember a few people telling me about buying multiple copies just to collect the covers. I was content with one copy for Chrimbus that year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Also, (and maybe this is a separate thread so apologies in advance) but it would be cool to see box art variants... Like 4 (one scorpion, one sub, one kitana, and one smoke). Kind of like that movie "A bugs life" when they did 4 or 5 different box arts.

Now this is an amazing idea.

Reminds me of how some issues of Game Informer have different cover variants.