[SPOILER] Sub-Zero's identity in MKX confirmed!

Shang_Heihachi

First thing's first. Yes, I'm back if only for one or two posts, because I thought this was worth sharing, given the amount of speculation. I probably won't be sticking around. Most of you know how I am, if you know me...you know I don't like forums in general, and I don't like being spoiled. Hence, my self-imposed exile will resume quickly, very likely after I make this post.

Second...this MIGHT be a MAJOR spoiler for this game. I don't think that it would be so blatantly obvious if it was intended to be a master secret, but this is an observation I made when watching the Sub vs. Scorp video from the IGN demo reels. If it is what I think it is...it's a major plot element.

THIS IS POTENTIALLY A MAJOR SPOILER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The speculation regarding Sub-Zero's identity in this game has been pretty hot. Kuai Liang and Bi Han both died in MK9. Bi Han became Noob, and his fate is currently unknown (but likely alive). Cyber Sub-Zero, last we saw, is dead (apparently getting a knee to his face plate from Sindel is fatal). That most likely rules out both Kuai Liang and Bi Han as Sub-Zero...unless some miraculous event restores Noob to Bi Han, or Kuai Liang becomes un-cybered. Even if that IS the case...if this Sub-Zero is either Kuai Liang or Bi Han...they are not themselves.

Again, you've been warned.

Sub-Zero is Shao Kahn

Now...we know the arcade endings in MK9 were not canon...BUT...that DOES NOT mean that events depicted in those endings aren't canon. We remember Cyber Sub-Zero's ending, don't we? It was silence...only a series of animated sequences that showed the soul of the defeated Shao Kahn entering Cyber Sub-Zero and taking possession of the body. Now of course....the story depicts that Shao Kahn was defeated by Raiden BUT...like I said, events within the arcade endings, while not the final outcome of the game, do have some truthful canon to them.

So where am I getting this from?

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYDyzfrAjnA

During the course of that fight, Sub-Zero defeats Scorpion. At the end of round one, observe the following:

* Sub-Zero says "I will freeze your soul"

* Sub-Zero covers himself in ice

Nothing too telling right? Look closer.

Sub-Zero freezes himself in ice that replicates Shao Kahn's armor. The comment about freezing a soul? Probably not coincidental.

So then why is Kahn ACTING like Sub-Zero? Well, why not? Shao's duplicitous. And if he has a goal to accomplish, why wouldn't he? Perhaps Shao and Sub-Zero are separate and struggling for control? Perhaps Sub-Zero made a deal with Kahn (hence returning him to human form)? We have to wait and see. But watch closely. Sub-Zero is Shao Kahn. And I'm dying to know how this plays into the story. Enjoy.

Re: [SPOILER] Sub-Zero's identity in MKX is...

I could see the resemblance, but at the same time it just looks like standard samurai armor. Hell, you could even say it's an updated cryo-armor.

If it's indeed Kahn, how did he "revert" him back from being a cyborg? Kahn doesn't have that power. Plus, on top of that I'm pretty sure Kahn is just as dead as everyone else. If not more. I mean he was blown up by semen dragons.lol.

All I'm saying is I see the resemblance, but I think it's just more of a Samurai than anything.

Interesting theory. I'd love to see the motive of why Kahn would take Sub-Zero's mantle. It would also provide motive for why Kotel Kahn is in the game (going after his father maybe?)

That's a bunch of bullshit dude there's no wa-

*watches video*

Freak-out-gif.gif

And I clicked on this thread excited... First off this doesn't confirm nothing and isn't a spoiler. Should I put a spoiler alert each time I speculate something?

All I see is ice clusters. The only thing that remotely resembled Shao Kahn is the two ice spikes on his forehead. Coincidence. And the 'I will freeze your soul' line? Pfffft.

Last edited:

It's an interesting detail.
Sub-Zero isn't a samurai. So why is he wearing a Samurai helmet when the only character in MK history to wear a samurai helmet is Shao Kahn?

There's some crazy shit going on with Sub-Zero no doubt, but if Kahn really is the next Cryomancer, consider me hyped

Scorpion must actually be Liu Kang. I saw him throw fire balls. :puke:

Last edited:

Wow, interesting observation. Im thinking that helmet could also be a variation of his shredder mask of MKD.

Wow, interesting observation. Im thinking that helmet could also be a variation of his shredder mask of MKD.

For once I agree.

Since the cryo-armor guides him maybe it manifests itself within him or something.

I'm with Ricochetmatt though. Sub-Zero-Kahn does not sound interesting in the slightest.

There will have to be one hell of a story behind it for me to back it up.

For once I agree.

Since the cryo-armor guides him maybe it manifests itself within him or something.

I'm with Ricochetmatt though. Sub-Zero-Kahn does not sound interesting in the slightest.

I too agree with Ricochematt. But a new Sub-Zero doesn't sound pleasant as well.

Just goes to show that anything can be speculated about in the MK Universe!

Don't see it happening though, and if it does, I think its a lame attempt to shock the world.

How can Ed say there's a sea of Sub-Zero's when there's only two?

That's a call to arms for both Kuai and Bi-Han fans. Look Boon we get you looooove Scorpion, but if Sub-Zero is just there for Scorpion to punch then I didn't need him at all to be honest.

Sub-Zero is a clear character and if he really treats him like this then Sub-Zero would or will never get any development ever again. You need to have ONE man under the mask.

I think Boon is pissed because he knows Sub-Zero is the only character who can (and does) steal spotlight from Scorpion. Yeah, I'm mad sorry guys.

Just how can you treat one of your characters like that? Especially one with so many fans.

Kuai and Bi Han had ancestors that were also Sub-Zeros, like the one who taught Shujinko.

So I guess Sub Kahn tires of maintaining their innocence.

Last edited:

well, it seems like sub-zero is just a title. if you remember the ending for sub in mk1 there are a shit ton of subs.

Attachments

• subzero.jpg
    subzero.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 496