Sub-Zero Theory

There's no need for a "new" Sub-Zero, so to speak. With the new timeline established, I believe that Scorpion/Sub-Zero's rivalry still has to be fleshed out, because MK9 made it come to an abrupt halt when it was getting good, with Sektor and Cyrax ruining everything.

I'll be happy if it's either Bi-Han or Kuai, I'll be disappointed if it's someone new.

I would be disappointed too, but at the same time human Sub-Zero is back, so I'm also happy.

As it is, Cassie Cage worries me about Sonya and Johnny coming back in MK X.
I want to believe they are coming back since they were left alive in MK9 and make sense as the "aged" characters that Boon was talking about, but I dunno.

I want to believe they are coming back since they were left alive in MK9 and make sense as the "aged" characters that Boon was talking about, but I dunno.

Honestly, the vibe that I got from Ed during the Playstation stream was "we gave you your fan service/reboot, now stfu as we try to take this franchise different places and experiment with everything". Not that that's a bad thing, but it can be done too much. I also think it's the fact that they're under WB that puts them under more pressure to try new things to get the game to sell more and appeal to more wider audiences. That is also not a bad thing, but they can also veer too far from things that fit within the MK Universe in order to sell the game. The new editions in the 3D era, as shitty as they were, all had MK vibes to them, new realms, warriors, etc.

Ya new subs is probably either Bi-Han or a descendant of subzero (which would explain how he got his cyromancer powers if he was a new character)

You people just don't like ice love :p

I also think so... But your theory is really interesting.... and I would love another offspring character....

There might just be another offspring char...
I have a theory that the 'main hero' or secondary main hero of MKX(which i dont think has been revealed yet or i may be wrong) could be an offspring char...like the offspring of the BIG BAD Villain...who I believe is gonna be Liu Kang.

Also although it is too early to tell, If the Main hero is an offspring of Kang, Boon probably wont reveal that until he reveals 'Evil Kang' or they both will be revealed at the same time. because revealing kang/kits's offspring before kang is revealed would spoil the "surprise" for Kang's return after he died in MK9. AGAIN this is all in theory. Plus I dont see them making an offspring for Sonya and Cage to represent their legacy in the next GEN and not for Kang. So I kinda do want to believe that we may see a Liu/Kitana offspring. and that this offspring may be the REAL Next GEN Liu Kang and possibly the one to stop his evil father...yea some star wars shit...but thats what i sense. Especially with the parallels between Raiden and Kang and Anakin and Obi wan in MK9. But this is just me and my theory.

How I come by that theory is because Boon did say something about seeing old faces again and we all know no one stays dead in MK...especially not the popular ones like Scorp, Subz, kang etc.

Now This Sub Zero theory in my mind is that this shown Sub Zero is Bi Han.somehow he is cleansed of Noob And this encounter between him and scorpion could take place at the beginning of the MKX story which MAY cover MK4. Boon also said that the story begins right after MK9 and everything is in a 25 year span.

If Cage and Sonya are in the game, they may appear at the beginning still young and fighting shinnok IF he appears and they cover MK4. Then the story will pass time by and we will see new chars and offsprings and older versions of Cage in Sonya and possibly others in a new story.

If the MK4 stuff does happen, somewhere in all that(perhaps at the end of the MK4 arc) we may see revived chars: Liu Kang, Kitana, and all those who died in MK9etc.
If this happens, there is reason to suspect a cyber kuai could in this game. A Human SZ and CSZ just like last time.

This also reason to suspect a Liu/Kitana relationship to really kick off(as with sonya and cage) and an offspring(or 2, ya know twins-luke and leia) to happen- as 25 years is a sufficient enough time for them. I think that somewhere in all that, Liu gets corrupted of taken over or something similar to his MK9 ending and he could become a corrupted god.

Either Raiden or Liu's son(as i dont see a female lead protagonist in MK happening) will fight Evil Kang. Because if Kang is the Big bad, someone who is of some kind of relation to him or is affiliated with him is gonna be the one to fight him. I dont see Cassie fighting Kang at the end. I dont see Sub Zero fighting Kang at the end, and I dont see Scorpion fighting him at the end. I see either raiden fighting kang, or kang's son fighting his father...OR the Kahn guy may be involved with Kang. who knows?

I still have yet to see raiden, who is also a suspect as a BIG BAD...however, an evil raiden is nothing new... we've seen raiden go off the deep end kinda and become dark. And I thought Boon said "a Surprise return char from the previous game"... We know raiden is gonna be back in one form or another, but dark raiden as Big Bad would not be as much of a shock factor than an Evil God Liu Kang. That shock factor would be extremely HIGH, as it was in MKL2. This is more of the reason I suspect Kang as the Big Bad(then my other theories about the main hero comes from that.)

Again this is all my theories...i could be missing key plot elements that totally throws a monkey wrench in this and if so let me know...but, We'll see...

This is an interesting theory and not totally impossible but there are two points that would contradict this and suggest otherwise.

1) Frost and Sub Zero don't exactly have the best relationship with each other. The tried to steal her mentor's medallion and kill him in her game's ending. So unless Sub is really that desperate I'd say their getting together is pretty unlikely.

2) In Scorpion and Sub's scripted pre-fight dialogue, in response to Scorpion calling him a murderer, Sub says he's "tired of proving my innocence." If this Sub was a descendent of the brothers or even Kuai Leung, Scorpion would not have accused him directly of slaying his family. If anything it means this Sub is the elder one.

^ Bi Han could be grandmaster of the Lin Kuei too. Since they seem to be drastically changing things up, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

It could be either Sub-Zero.
Even though the younger one died and was seen as a cyborg they could bull some bs like they always do and bring him back to life.
As for why Scorpion would call the younger one a murderer. Maybe Quan Chi tricked Scorpion like he did in MK4?

And of course the older one could have been purified by the soulnado.

I like Noob so I hope it's the younger Sub-Zero.

Don't care which version it is.
I plan on mastering ALL versions of Sub-Zero, which technically = mastering 3 characters in MK X. :)

I really think the Sub-Zero we see is Bi Han because I don't think they'll put Noob Saibot in this game now that there is another character who fights like that (I'm referring to the giant and midget).

I would be disappointed too, but at the same time human Sub-Zero is back, so I'm also happy.

I feel like Cassie Cage is their way of shutting the door on Johnny and Sonya. That's actually not a bad idea and expect to see more of that for other old characters. That's a really good way to put them to rest.

The select screen's roster obviously looks harsh to anyone hoping for returning characters. Most of those slots will be new characters, and or have something to do with old characters. So there can't be too much characters making a return.

Its fine by me. I have some kind of Sub-Zero. I'm all for the idea of them fused. That's the best. It finally makes the character one. But if its not the case, its fine either way.

The new characters are very exciting and are the one thing I look forward to most, next to performing Sub-Zero's new fatality for the first time. Seeing all those characters die in MK9 suddenly doesn't hurt anymore.

Last edited:
Its fine by me. I have some kind of Sub-Zero and the new characters are exciting. Seeing all those characters die in MK9 suddenly doesn't hurt anymore.
To each his own. I want my Jade, Liu Kang, Smoke and Kitana back!!

I may just get my Liu Kang back...an evil version...

Well, I wouldn't be too happy if it didn't have Sub-Zero or Kabal. So now I feel good. Its way too unlikely Kabal will return so I'm not even going to get my hopes up.

The evil big bad Kang sounds interesting. What if Kang becomes the evil god of Earth after killing Raiden and tries to take over Outworld through Mortal Kombat? Kind of the reverse of Before. This could explain who Kotal Kahn is. He's the new 'Kahn' of Outworld. but he's more like the Liu Kang (when he was good) of Outworld. (Just a theory)

The Kang idea is cool but I wish it were something I completely did not expect. His ending in Mk9 and MK Legacy made this a prediction.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't be too happy if it didn't have Sub-Zero or Kabal. So now I feel good. Its way too unlikely Kabal will return so I'm not even going to get my hopes up.

The evil big bad Kang sounds interesting. What if Kang becomes the evil god of Earth after killing Raiden and tries to take over Outworld through Mortal Kombat? Kind of the reverse of Before. This could explain who Kotal Kahn is. He's the new 'Kahn' of Outworld. but he's more like the Liu Kang (when he was good) of Outworld. (Just a theory)

The Kang idea is cool but I wish it were something I completely did not expect. His ending in Mk9 and MK Legacy made this a prediction.

I like it a lot! Defend Outworld from Earthrealm. What a twist.

I reckon they will be doing some Elder God story with this following a bit from MK Annihilation with Kotal Kahn been Shao Kahn and Raidens father and the two end up been brothers like in the movie.

I just hope my Liu Kang will be playable :/.

when he said our innocence, do you think he was talking about the his clan? This might be Bi han

Well, maybe it's Elder Sub-Zero that ends up training Frost this time around? He may end up being a better mentor and master to her as he isn't pure and would be able to root out Frost's base desires and tame them. After all, Younger Sub-Zero ignored how aggressive Frost was, as he only saw her as his favored protege at the time, until she outright attacked him and he constantly forgave her.

Elder Sub-Zero may lay down the law and not put up with her lack of discipline and loyalty.