Official World Cup 2014 thread

Substitute Zero

I decided to create this thread so people can come here to share their thoughts and discuss this amazing tournament which takes place every four years. Its just over a week now until it begins and I for one cannot wait. I'm interested what you mortal kombaters thoughts are.

Who will you be cheering for?
Who do you think will win it?
Who will be the top scorer?
Will Klose overtake Ronaldo's all time top scorer record?
If Spain go on to win it would that in your view make them the greatest side in history?

^^^That should get the thread off to a start^^^

I will be cheering for ENGLAND, let the Lions roar!!!
I do think however that either Brazil or Germany will win it.
Luis Suarez if he's fit will be the top scorer.
Perhaps he will, but Germany has been playing with a False 9 setup these days, its unknown how much playing time Klose will get.
Spain won't win it, so therefore I'm not even considering that :).

I'm too pumped, just over a week, and I'm waiting for my England kits to arrive in the mail next week!

Cheering for USA of course. I hold out hope they'll make it out of the group stage.
Though ultimately I think Brazil will take it all.
Neymar will be top scorer as a result.

I am sort of neutral for this World Cup (because there is no Ireland :( ) but my real hopes are that all the big stars shine Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo (etc) and especially JACK WILSHERE he has so much poential and there is nothing more I would like to see from this World Cup than for him to showcase his ability for the World to see on the biggest stage. I think Brazil will win the tournament because they have a solid defence, great on attack and play well as a unit. I think the top scorer will be Messi. I think Klose will NOT overtake Ronaldo as all time top scorer. And I think Spain if they were to win this WC they would be the greatest ever team in international history however I do not think they will win the competition outright I think they will run out of fizz if they play one of the favourites.

As for tonight opener I see Brazil beating Croatia comfortably 2-0 I say

Brazil-Croatia has been a great match so far. 1-1 draw 60 minutes in, goals from Neymar and Marcelo (OG for Croatia). Great attacks on both sides.

Brazil-Croatia has been a great match so far. 1-1 draw 60 minutes in, goals from Neymar and Marcelo (OG for Croatia). Great attacks on both sides.
Great start to the World Cup, very lively match. I think this is the most pressure in the history of the game which is on a host nation that has a realistic chance of winning, nothing less than winning the tournament outright is expected by the brazillian people. I think brazil started nervy but done incredibly well to handle this pressure and turn the game around and win comfortably after conceding early.

Just after listening to some of the Irish pundits already writing off Brazils chances of winning the tournament saying they would fall apart if they played Spain or Argentina. They seem to be forgetful that Spain won the tournament after losing their first game to Switzerland 4 years ago. I still think they can do it despite todays game which they were far from their best.

@RIPLIUKANG So what are your thoughts after todays game? Do you still think Brazil can go on to win it? And what did you make of the penalty decision, was it a foul or not?

I have Brazil winning the whole thing, and I felt that this opening match led to some jitters amongst the team early on, but then they settled down and took care of business. Didn't care so much for the penalty call, Fred just sat down in the box and the ref called at the spot.

I've already been booed all day for being team USA. I love being the only American at my workplace :)

That match was atrocious! That penalty call? That no call on Brazil's 3rd goal? What was the foul on Croatia's supposed 2nd goal? FIFA has rigged the World Cup to prevent rioting. This shit is ridiculous. 20 fouls on Croatia and 5 on Brazil? Absolute joke. FIFA is corrupt and always has been. It's just now coming into the light with Qatar. Or if you don't believe me then watch South Korea in the 2002 WC they co-hosted with Japan. Refs cheating the other teams so South Korea gets at least 4th. Makes me not even want to watch football anymore.

I've already been booed all day for being team USA. I love being the only American at my workplace :)
I'll stand by my USA as usual, but I could care less if we win the World Cup. I don't really care much for soccer. Give me baseball, basketball, and American Football. I would be paying more attention to the World Cup if my team weren't in the NBA Finals again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I only watch soccer when it's olympics or World Cup. Otherwise, I don't follow it. I know it wont happen, but, I'd be balls deep in awesome if USA won. Everyone at work pointed and laughed during the olympics :(

At the end of the day, a win is a win for El Tri. Granted, dos Santos should've had at least one goal, but they are in prime position to advance now.

Spain-Netherlands, good god y'all! That was a proper ass whoopin' laid by the Dutch. Spain in trouble going forward, maybe not against Australia, but certainly against Chile.

Spain-Netherlands, good god y'all! That was a proper ass whoopin' laid by the Dutch. Spain in trouble going forward, maybe not against Australia, but certainly against Chile.
Dude it was a complete shocker. I did not see that coming at all. Spain lacked any real conviction throughout and once the first half was over the Dutch realised this and stopped the rough tackles and just went for it and Spain like they done last year in the Confeds fell apart. Like you said Spain have forward troubles and against tough opposition its going to be hard to see them get goals. Costa looks completely off form. I also think Chile after looking at the tapes of this game will fancy their chances against them.

Last edited:
Uruguay played very poorly.. cant see them going far this time. fair play to costa rica they fully deserved it.. very impressed with joel campbell

Didn't catch any of the matches today, but I'll give a short response to each.

Colombia-Greece: Expected. Colombia have been on a tear for the better part of a year now, and being on the home continent, they are certainly used to the conditions more than Greece were.

Uruguay-Costa Rica: 0_0 Congrats to Costa Rica for getting the three points in a group of titans. That'll help in the long run, but will they keep it up? As for Uruguay, it's all or nothing against England now.

England-Italy: I had this down as a draw, and looking back at some reports, the two teams were evenly matched throughout, it's just that Balotelli saw his chance and took it to give Italy the win.

Japan-Ivory Coast: If there was an African team I had pegged to go far, it's the Ivory Coast. That being said, Japan had them on the ropes for the most of the first half. It wasn't until Didier Drogba being subbed in when the Elephants had any life in them, scoring two goals in 4 minutes. Maybe the coach will think about starting him from now on?