Official World Cup 2014 thread

Messi has done it all at club level. Will he reach the status of pele and maradona and do it on the biggest stage in international football? Arg vs b&h up next

What a finish from the Swiss at the end of their match!

France v. Honduras I expected the French to win that. Also, we get the first taste of Goal-line Technology on France's second goal. Very detailed, I like it!

And currently, that was some unfortunate luck for Bosnia to start with an own goal. Messi needs to start taking more shots if he wants to get on the score sheet.

What a finish from the Swiss at the end of their match!

France v. Honduras I expected the French to win that. Also, we get the first taste of Goal-line Technology on France's second goal. Very detailed, I like it!

And currently, that was some unfortunate luck for Bosnia to start with an own goal. Messi needs to start taking more shots if he wants to get on the score sheet.
Behrami after having a dissapointing game done so well in the lead up to the swiss winner.

France won very comfortably, no surprises there. They could be dark horses to go far in the competition, they have a young team filled with talent.

Argentina played with a lot of spark in the second half which they certainly lacked in the first. I think the half time substitutions really made the difference. Messi really picked up his game in the second half and his goal was pure magic. I think the Bosnian & herz have nothing to be ashamed of with that performance, done well to get that late goal & like you said were unlucky to conseed the og early on which really was all the difference in the game.

I think its amazing that after 4 days we still havent a match that finished as a draw!

Germany dominates. Pepe suspended for the USA match, and well as Fabio Coentrão injured. Things are looking good for the Americans if they can pull of a victory against Ghana.

And will Iran-Nigeria be the first draw game of the group stage? 0-0 at the half.

USA VS Ghana has been the best game so far for me... an absolute cracker. Ghana played so well and were unlucky to come away with nothing from the game just pure wave after wave of attack but USA defended extremely well and done what they needed to win. I was very impressed with the pace of the match.

Congrats to any americans here, great game of football!

So glad USA beat Ghana after so many world cups! I'm rooting for them throughout the cup!

In other news, Mexico vs Brazil tomorrow. Two of my favourite teams. I'm going for Mexico cause that's where my family was born!

I was just trying to enjoy the Brazil vs Mexico game and then an Irish football pundit swears on multiple ocasions and it was live on tv before 9pm not even 8pm. This is a guy who has the nerve to constantly rant about Christiano Ronaldo (diving) not being a good role model for the youth and then curses himself live on tv for everyone to hear... absolute disgrace

this is a video of his apology

Just wondering what your thoughts are folks? Should he be allowed to get away with that? Do you think its ok to do that just because he thought he was on an advert break?

Last edited:
I went to watch my USA game at Boston Pizza and was the only one cheering. My balls felt big.

I went to watch my USA game at Boston Pizza and was the only one cheering. My balls felt big.
I found out on SportsCenter. I was still in celebratory mode over the Spurs championship to the point where I forgot that the Yankee soccer team even had a World Cup game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Lol, I can easily imagine that.

But really Jade, BP's? I'd go with Shoeless Joe's or Turtle Jack's if you want a good combination of food, atmosphere and sports.

This is the craziest world cup!

Christiano Ronaldo inspires a lot of futbol players here in my city, Waco, Texas.

In other news for the Brazil vs Mexico game, that game was really good! Memo Ochoa was killing it though. I was rooting for Mexico, I have family that live there and my parents were born there.

The only thing I didn't like how Mexico was playing dirty .-.

Hard look Taj, I'd say your dissapointed with that result. I thought England were unlucky not to come away with nothing from the game as they had the chances. I thought the second goal was sloppy from Gerrard, I dont know what he was thinking. I certainly believe Hodgeson got the selection wrong. I would not have started henderson and would have had wilshere in my starting xi. And as for Rooney I know he had a good game tonight but I would not have even started him based on his performance against Italy. I think its absolutely shocking that in 3 world cups he only got his first goal tonight, he's just a slightly above average player in my opinion. I think they would have done better if they started Lambert in both games.

What are your thoughts? Are you dissapointed the two arsenal men did not play? And what team has impressed you the most so far?

Honestly, I'm really impressed with freaking Chile, I knew they were a decent squad, but not THIS good. Even Scolari came out and said he's scared of potentially playing Chile in the Round of 16.

I'm absolutely gutted [MENTION=10204]Substitute Zero[/MENTION] . Rooney had a decent game, looked like the only one who cared, but you were right. I would've taken off Henderson for Wilshere, and unfortunately Ox wasn't fit enough yet. Gerrard and Jagielka both messed up, as Gerrard did not do well with the header, and Jagielka's anticipation was all wrong. It was our defence that lost us the game. I really wish John Terry was called up but whatever. Now England's fate is in Italy's hands.

USA were so unlucky not to get the three points after making a heroic comeback but Ronaldo's cross was just pure genius but I still think the USA can advance. Portugal would have to beat Ghana by 6 clear goals in order to have a realistic chance of qualifying and I cant even seing them getting a win against Ghana based on how well Ghana played in their previous to games so I predict a draw for that one. I think USA will have to be at their best to get a result against Germany but I think if they repeat the performance of their first match I think they are capable of getting at least a draw.

Per ESPN...

"USA and Germany advance to knockout stage with win or draw. USA and Germany would advance with a draw in Ghana/Portugal game."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk