Official Boxing Thread

Substitute Zero

I could not find an official boxing thread so I thought I would start one.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any of you watched Bradley V Pacquiao 2 last night and what were your thouhts on it??

Who would you like to see Pacquiao fight next?

Not that big of a boxing fan due to the annoying spectacle nature of it, when I'm too used to the UFC's and MMA's presentation being more straight up and down to business.

With that said, I love combat sports and I'll watch boxing if it's a well known fighter having a bout. Glad to hear pacquiao avenging his loss, why not go an extra step now and fight Marquez to avenge his KO loss to him?

Are the Klitchko brothers or whoever they are still the Heavyweight champs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

@Taj Gill Yeah, Pacquiao mentioned that he would be willing to fight Marquez again for the fifth time but has left it up to his promoter Arum who also promotes Marquez to decide whats best (and I think realistically thats what will take place). As much as I would love to see him avenge his loss to Marquez, I think a fight that badly needs to happen at some stage for boxing is Pacquiao and Mayweather. I agree with what you said about mma been more down to business, in mma it would be unheard of for two of the best guys in the same weight class not fighting each other while in boxing with so many organisations, belts and sub divisions its not unusual. I think if all the big boxing fights were ran through a major organisation like the UFC it would be far better and fans would not be growing tired waiting for the two top guys to fight each other.

@Tarkatan Trash Wladimir Klitcschko is still the WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO and The Ring world champion and his older brother Vitali retired a few months back to focus on his political career.

Golovkin Wrecks Wade in Two Rounds

The oddsmakers had made Dominic Wade a longer longshot than Custer at the Little Bighorn, and even then they probably didn’t give Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, the world’s best and scariest middleweight his just due. Had the true gap between champion and challenger been posted, Wade – who, as it was, went off as an almost-unfathomable 70-to-1 no-hoper -- would have had about as much chance of winning of plucking down a buck at his neighborhood bodega and winning the Powerball Lottery.

Filling in as the replacement for the injured Tureano Johnson, Wade (18-1, 12 KOs) was knocked down three times in the 5 minutes, 37 seconds that probably had him wishing that he hadn’t consented to fill the slot against Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) that most potential “GGG” opponents are avoiding as they might voluntary exposure to the Ebola virus.

In scoring his 22nd consecutive win before its scheduled conclusion, Golovkin is drawing comparisons not only to historically great 160-pound fighters – he had said beforehand that, now with 16 successful middleweight defenses, he is shooting at the division-record of 20 held by ageless wonder Bernard Hopkins – but to the kind of big blasters at any weight whose power tends to mesmerize the public and fire fans’ imagination. HBO commentator Max Kellerman said no fighter since the young Mike Tyson had so enraptured the sport through the exercise of pugilistic brutality.

But holdouts to the increasing GGG hype – hey, you know who you are – will argue, with some merit, that the Los Angeles-based native of Kazakhstan has yet to meet and defeat an elite fighter of equal or near-equal statue. Someone, in other words, like WBC middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez, who appears to be in no great hurry to testing himself against Golovkin.

Wade certainly was not the one to furnish anything more than an open-book quiz to Golovkin. He was floored by an overhand right to the back of the neck in round one, which appeared to rattle his equilibrium, and he was still shaky when he went out for a second round that would mark the end of his brief brush with quasi-celebrity. After Golovkin floored him a second time, Wade arose at the count of nine and, when asked by referee Jack Reiss if he wanted to continue, he appeared to have second thoughts to giving his consent. He thus thrust himself back into the danger zone, only to be put down and out by another right that landed flush to the jaw, and with the percussive force of a runaway locomotive.

“Of course, I need a big name, a big fight,” the 34-year-old Golovkin said after he retained his WBA “super” and WBA titles, as well as the WBC interim championship. “I’m ready to fight anybody.”

Yeah, but the question is whether everyone if ready to fight him.

Gonzalez UD12 Arroyo

With the announced retirement of Floyd Mayweather Jr., Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez was elevated by to the top spot on many boxing pound-for-pound lists. And why not? The WBO flyweight champion from Nicaragua is so talented, so dominant, it could be argued that he not only broke the spirit of many opponents, he routinely took a piece of their souls, too.

Until last night, he had never taken anyone’s sole. But that’s what happened in the fourth round when the sole of McWilliams Arroyo’s right shoe literally fell off, causing the challenger from Puerto Rico to take a sort of bunny hop. When the round ended, Arroyo’s corner team put tape on the bottom of the now-soleless shoe in an effort to give their fighter a bit more traction. And while the equipment malfunction might not have helped Arroyo in his effort to pull off the upset, it apparently didn’t hurt that much either; fighting for the first time in 377 days, the courageous and willing 2008 Olympian at least was able to go the 12-round distance, ending “Chocolatito’s” streak of 10 consecutive victories by knockout or stoppage.

Not that Arroyo – a very good fighter, who, to his credit, had his moments, well-spaced though they were – came much closer to taking down Gonzalez than the 38 guys who failed to make it to the final bell against the finest Nicaraguan fighter since the late, great Alexis Arguello. Judge Dave Moretti had Gonzalez winning every round in pitching a 120-108 shutout, while colleagues Max DeLuca and Eddie Hernandez each saw him winning by 119-109.

Punch statistics reflected Gonzalez’s level of domination. After feeling out Arroyo for the first round and a half that was more or less even, Gonzalez began picking up the pace in the middle of round two and, well … that was basically that.

This was the third time Gonzalez had served as a set-up man for Golovkin, and likely the last that they’ll appear on the same card. Gonzalez will soon be headlining his own cards, and he might soon become the third flyweight, after Michael Carbajal and Humberto “Chiquita” Gonzalez (no relation) to make a million dollars for a night’s work.